Just my 2 cents. I chose not to get any screenings done, even at my "advanced maternal age". I currently don't have insurance (it kicks in in Jan). My doctor told me that the first trimester screening will need follow-up tests to confirm any positives. She suggested I just wait until my big u/s to see if the baby had any markers and then do tests if such markers were found. She said every chromosomal abnormality is very obvious on the u/s at that stage except Down's is not as obvious. So if you are concerned about extra u/s's then maybe just wait until the big one at around 20 weeks?
As for cost, my big u/s cost me $800 (after cash deduction). I don't have insurance right now so have had to pay out of pocket for everything. The labs were more expensive than the u/s so it is a good thing your insurance covers them.
Dayna (37) DH (38) DD (6) DS1 (3) DS2 3-31-14