Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Melturtle's Updates

I felt his hiccups really low again today, where I normally have been feeling them. But now I don't know what or if that means anything I know my doctor was supposed to check his position at my appointment last Friday, but he didn't say anything so I assumed all was good? How do they check position without an u/s btw? He just felt my belly and listened to his heartbeat. Maybe I should start reading my what to expect book again!

Mel (39) DH (37) Finally, a baby boy after 12 months of TTC!
    April 2013 http://www.saferpills.org/

Usually palpation does it if the doctor is experienced.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Melturtleluv View Post
    I felt his hiccups really low again today, where I normally have been feeling them. But now I don't know what or if that means anything I know my doctor was supposed to check his position at my appointment last Friday, but he didn't say anything so I assumed all was good? How do they check position without an u/s btw? He just felt my belly and listened to his heartbeat. Maybe I should start reading my what to expect book again!
    My midwife just feels my belly too. They can tell the feel of a head. And head down is pretty distinct. If they have any worries that it does not feel head down then they do the u/s to see what is going on. I was pretty sure that what I was feeling down in my pelvis was head before they told me. If you feel the hiccups low that is a really good indicator too. If baby was but down you would feel kicks to your bladder still. and if baby is transverse you can feel kicks in your side. So even when they do not tell you there are indicators that are pretty accurate.
    Mariah (35) and DH (40) BFP 8/12/13! Baby Kayla is here! Praying for all the APA girls .

My ob just feels my tummy as well. My little one is head down and I feel hiccups all over.

Then he was head down Friday, but he's been really active since then. Although I'm pretty sure I'm feeling his butt on my right side under my ribs with his head is down right now.

This is a pic of the cute gift bag a friend of mine made for my shower, it had some really cute snacks in the bag too:

shower 1.jpg

A dark pic of the food, but unfortunately I didn't take additional pictures:

shower 2.jpg

Cute!!

Love the fox!
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

That bag is super cute!

FX he stays head down! Cute baby shower pics!
    Mariah (35) and DH (40) BFP 8/12/13! Baby Kayla is here! Praying for all the APA girls .

Hope he stays head down! Cute pix!!!
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

The bag is adorable!

My 34 week appointment was yesterday, and so far so good. The baby is so active, my doctor said she couldn't get his position if she tried because he's such an acrobat. I asked in the beginning of my appointment if there was such a thing as too much movement, and she assured me there wasn't. But when she tried to get his heartbeat he immediately kicked the Doppler and bounced away and she remarked on how he was an extremely active baby. Not sure what that means for us

My doctor wants me to take 4 weeks off prior to my due date?!? I have no issues besides feeling fatigued and some hip pain, otherwise I feel okay. I compromised and said I'll take two weeks off but now I'm wondering what I should do. I have to admit, I am wondering how I will get through the last couple of weeks with the way I'm feeling now. I literally feel like I can sleep all day if I have the opportunity. And I'm limping because my hip hurts...

Aww a little mover and shaker!

I'm curious about the extra time off too, did she give a reason? I'm sure extra rest would be welcome, but if it's not necessary I wonder why. You work in an office right, mostly sitting? It's usually not possible, but can you do half days or a short work week? Theoretically you could start using FMLA to take some days off, but then you can't use those days after the baby comes.

I wonder how I am going to make it to the end too. I can hardly walk because my back and now my hips hurt so bad and all I want to do is sleep. I would take time off before, but I want my full 12 weeks with the baby.

It won't affect my time off after delivery. I will be taking 16 weeks off under FMLA, with 6 weeks covered under CA State disability and additional 6 weeks off covered under some other California insurance I have paid into, and the last 4 weeks covered under the vacation time I have accrued. But this is separate medical disability that is covered for up to 4 weeks prior to your due date. I'll take two weeks prior unless something happens before then that puts me out of commission or on bed rest. California has generous maternity leave of which I am extremely grateful for.

16. Default

Man, I want some California maternity leave!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

With DS1 I took 4 weeks off prior to his birth and it made all the difference for me. I wish I could have this time but I couldn't afford it. Turns out I went into labor while at work but it wasn't a biggie thankfully. I think two weeks prior is more than enough, though. I went stir crazy waiting for DS1 to come because I was certain he would be earlier than he was. I ended up burning two weeks of my leave waiting for him to come. lol
    Dayna (37) DH (38) DD (6) DS1 (3) DS2 3-31-14

I forgot to mention that we had our 2 day birthing class and hospital tour this weekend! We really enjoyed it and felt like we learned a lot about laboring through an unmedicated birth. We did go over epidurals and C-sections as well, but the bulk of time was spent on natural birthing techniques, which was great! It was taught by a doula that works for the hospital.

I loved the facilities as well. The delivery and post-partum rooms are all private with couches and full bathrooms. They encourage you to shower (no tubs, but that's fine with me) in the delivery room if it's helpful during labor and to use the birthing balls, etc. They don't have a nursery in the hospital (but they do have a NICU) and keep the baby with mama the whole time. They even have the delivery rooms set up to do all of the newborn testing right there, but they won't even do that until the baby and mom has 1.5 to 2 hours of skin on skin time directly after birth. Maybe all of this is standard, but I was really happy with it and now super excited to meet my LO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    Man, I want some California maternity leave!
    I know, right?! I keep asking, are you sure this is right? But I met with HR last Friday and I double checked everything online and it looks like this is what I get!

20. Default

That's awesome!!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by daynasrose View Post
    With DS1 I took 4 weeks off prior to his birth and it made all the difference for me. I wish I could have this time but I couldn't afford it. Turns out I went into labor while at work but it wasn't a biggie thankfully. I think two weeks prior is more than enough, though. I went stir crazy waiting for DS1 to come because I was certain he would be earlier than he was. I ended up burning two weeks of my leave waiting for him to come. lol
    This is what I am thinking, that 2 weeks will be great, but 4 will make me kind of batty. Although I have a really strong feeling this guy will be coming early, but who knows. How far did you go with DS1?

I forgot to mention that we had our 2 day birthing class and hospital tour this weekend! We really enjoyed it and felt like we learned a lot about laboring through an unmedicated birth. We did go over epidurals and C-sections as well, but the bulk of time was spent on natural birthing techniques, which was great! It was taught by a doula that works for the hospital.

I loved the facilities as well. The delivery and post-partum rooms are all private with couches and full bathrooms. They encourage you to shower (no tubs, but that's fine with me) in the delivery room if it's helpful during labor and to use the birthing balls, etc. They don't have a nursery in the hospital (but they do have a NICU) and keep the baby with mama the whole time. They even have the delivery rooms set up to do all of the newborn testing right there, but they won't even do that until the baby and mom has 1.5 to 2 hours of skin on skin time directly after birth. Maybe all of this is standard, but I was really happy with it and now super excited to meet my LO!!!
    That's SO great! And you've given me some good questions to ask when I do mine on May 2!
    Sara: 31, DH: 33. After 19 months of STC, we caught an eggie! #1 is on its way!

Make a pregnancy ticker

I forgot to mention the hospital policy is to NOT do episiotomies, which is another standard I am grateful for! They also do not circumcise and suggest you make an appointment with your pediatrician if you plan to do so.

Sounds awesome! I think you're going to have an amazing experience. If you haven't already, I recommend Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. I'm reading it now and it's great--she has a really calm knowledgeable but not preachy voice. If natural is what you're wanting, definitely check it out!

Sounds like a great appt! That's a lot of time off, I'm glad you will be able to get that much!

that is nice that you get time off before the baby comes. I wish Az did that.

This is what I am thinking, that 2 weeks will be great, but 4 will make me kind of batty. Although I have a really strong feeling this guy will be coming early, but who knows. How far did you go with DS1?
    He came on the 12th and his due date was the 20th. So he came early but I was expecting him to be earlier.
    Dayna (37) DH (38) DD (6) DS1 (3) DS2 3-31-14

Sounds like a certified "baby friendly" hospital! That is mine as well. Made me feel so good about birthing there for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Geneari View Post
    Sounds awesome! I think you're going to have an amazing experience. If you haven't already, I recommend Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. I'm reading it now and it's great--she has a really calm knowledgeable but not preachy voice. If natural is what you're wanting, definitely check it out!
    I have been meaning to buy this book Natalie! But honestly, I feel like I'm running out of time and I have so, so much to do in the next couple of weeks. I haven't read my what to expect book in over a month Time is just flying by for me.

I got it from the library and honestly only read about 1/3 of it. The first half is only birth stories, which I don't connect with unless I know the person, so I just skipped it. Then there are chapters on how our bodies are designed to handle labor, the stages of labor, strategies for dealing and one on common interventions.

Honestly if you can only read ONE chapter of the book it needs to be the one on Sphincter Law (sounds horrible I know), it is amazing and will change your life.

I just grabbed the book, here are the chapters I actually read:
    The powerful mind/body connection
    The pain/pleasure riddle
    Spincter Law
    Going into Labor
    Giving birth: move freely, let gravity work for you (and only I read select parts of this one)
    Forgotten vaginal powers and episiotomy
    Third stage of labor

All told that's 125 pages and I didn't read all of them.