Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Natalie/Geneari updates

Its possible I could eat more frequent smaller meals, since my appetite is finally coming back. I couldn't do it before because I wouldn't get hungry at all and it would be like 5 hours and I hadn't eaten anything.

And I do understand how the weight gained breaks down, but thermodynamically you have to provide the matter and energy for those fluids and and parts to be created, it's not done spontaneously.

edit: I'm not really explaining this the way I really want to. I'm concerned more than just for weight and calories. I have RA and a long family history of osteoporosis. I can't afford to have my lean muscle and bone mass scavenged during my pregnancy. It's really important to me that both me and the baby make it through this as healthfully as possible.
    Last edited by Geneari; 01-01-2014 at 10:59 AM.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

I understand the concern for sure. I was actually going to recommend you have your thyroid tested again at your next appt. With one AI issue, it's not uncommon for another to turn up. I'd want them to do more than tsh also...FT3 and FT4 specifically as well as Grave's and Hashi's antibodies .

I deleted it from my earlier reply because I didn't realize how concerned you already were about the weight loss and didn't want to worry you unnecessarily.

It may end up evening out...some women who lose weight in the 1st tri and early 2nd tri will often suddenly start gaining at a rapid rate in their 5th-7th months .

Do what you can do, eat high fat/high protein foods for energy, and munch on whole grain carbs throughout the day...unless there is something overtly wrong like thyroid disease, anemia, or diabetes (with your energy levels up, I wouldn't suspect diabetes or anemia) I really think the needed weight gain will come.

Thinking of you though...it's a valid concern; praying you're able to gradually increase your intake over the next few weeks and reach your goal asap !

14 weeks yay!!

Only 5 weeks until our anatomy scan!

The last two days I've gotten over 2000 cals, which makes me happy but it included some pretty indulgent stuff which is not so happy. Everyday won't be like that so it's ok, moderation is key! I have to remember to save myself some "room" for an after dinner snack, I get hungry and not eating isn't an option.

On the exercise front I'm starting (started) planks, cat/cow stretches and this amazing squat pose. I'm getting a lot of inspiration from something Kasey posted a long time ago: "I'm training for the most important athletic event of my life." You wouldn't run a marathon just off the couch, right? Strength and endurance in the right places.

I need a lot more walking, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do it. It's too cold outside and there aren't really any indoor places to walk around here. I'd be content to do mall-walking but the closest mall is 45ish minutes away. There is a local public rec center but I'm not sure if there is a good place for walking, trying to dodge a million basketballs and walk isn't so appealing. When it warms up I'll be all over it!

Also do belly breathing and kegels - they will help with labour and the only exercise you can do right after birth including c-section.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Um...uh oh.

Scale says I lost 2.2 pounds, putting me now at 160.2, down 6 pounds from when I got my BFP, but down 10 pounds from my highest PG weight.

My belly also felt really small this morning (though I guess in the mornings it does seem smaller and gets bigger as the day goes on with fluids and food), but I can't help but worry.

Appt on Thursday cannot come soon enough.
    Last edited by Geneari; 01-04-2014 at 10:30 AM.

Yeah, that continued weight loss is getting concerning...your body has to burn through an awful lot of calories to lose 2lbs+. I'm sure baby is fine but you obviously can't sustain that. Maybe you should start drinking ensure or another high calorie/high protein supplement. I know they're sugary but at least until you can talk with your dr and maybe google around for a more healthful equivalent.

Are you having any hyperthyroid symptoms...diarrhea, hot, jittery, hungry, etc...?

I don't know much about RA and pg...can that cause issues? Are you on meds for your RA?

Has your blood sugar been checked recently?

I hope I'm not worrying you...I'm sure you've probably already thought of these things too . Praying your body just needs more time and will turn a corner soon but either way I hope you get answers with easy fixes.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

It's ok Kelly, I appreciate the support, can't all be rainbow unicorns!

Actually I'm mostly still not having an appetite, regular but on the slower side, not hot or jittery.

I had blood sugar and A1C checked at my last appointment, so I'll get the results on Thursday. I tend towards hypoglycemic, get that from my mom. Never needed to check it regularly.

I'm fairly lucky with the RA, if you want to call it that, mine is mostly joint and connective tissue related, not organs (my sister is the opposite, her kidneys are a mess). I haven't needed meds for it in over 10 years and I feel pretty good since getting pg. Mostly I have secondary effects from it: exercise induced asthma, getting sick is 10x worse for me (like earlier), that kind of thing.

I would try the supplement shakes except that they are sweet and I just have no taste for sweet things, so I know I wouldn't even drink them. It sounds whiny, but I'm just being honest.

What I am going to do is switch to higher fat dairy, and make sure every meal and snack has a protein and fat in it (sometimes I had no protein in my lunch just like veggie soup and salad). I go shopping today so I can get new food.

I feel like if I could just get HUNGRY this would be easier. Or if I wanted sweets again...

Having no appetite just makes it miserable for sure!! I went through a hyperT phase and lost a lot of weight, but I had no appetite and it made me gag to force myself to eat so they put me on Reglan to rev up my appetite...worked like a charm . I know some women take it during pg to help with m/s...just a thought, maybe it'd help kick out the lingering effects of the first tri aversions and m/s. Apparently, it works by moving the food through your system faster so you can eat more food, more frequently without feeling full or sick.

The dairy thing is a great idea!

I had no appetite when I was first pregnant too...now I eat a lot and unfortunately (or fortunately for me?) I crave sweets all the time. I started gaining weight back by like 13-14 weeks and now I am 10 pounds over where I was before pg....which at 24 weeks I hope is normal. Lol
    Kim-26 DH-26 Figuring out how to be a SAHM!

Woke up to vomiting bile... thought we were past this!

Talked to mom last night and she says stop tracking my food intake because it's giving me issues lol. And to make myself eat *something* every 2 hours, hungry or not.

DH was a little irritated because he said he's been telling me that for weeks. Poor guy.

Y'all have been telling me that too so I guess you can be irritated at me too.

Having a pity party day. Everyday I feel more like I need to be working and less like I should be finishing this degree--which is horrible motivation for actually doing the work I need to do. And then there's the, why couldn't I just be a SAHM.

January is a horrible time to try and find a job anyway. The one I applied for a few weeks ago is still open, so the possibility is still there. I wish there was a way to contact them, but that's not how it works anymore. It's the best job I've found--there are others but they are so far away from me, it wouldn't be worth it to even try. Mostly there's aren't as many jobs as I was expecting--at least not unless we move. Not a great option, I don't think it's even a possibility.

Blah.

LOL I found I job I'm not nearly qualified enough for, but they didn't get any applicants the first time, so I'll just try it and see. It's with the State of Georgia Natural Resources Department, Environmental Protection Division. I guess it will depend on how serious they are about management experience, I have all the rest of the qualifications.
    Last edited by Geneari; 01-06-2014 at 02:01 PM.

12. Default

So, the question is ... are you going to stop tracking your food and just set an alarm to eat every 2 hours? ;)
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

I'm eating every two hours, but still tracking. I'm too neurotic or data oriented, take your pick, to stop that.

It's pre-doctor's appointment freak out day! I don't know why I get so nervous, everything has been going well and no real signs otherwise, but I get really anxious right before my appointments.

Maybe it the weight loss. Maybe it's how obviously smaller my belly is now than it has been in weeks. The smaller belly thing is really messing with me, but I think I had tons of bloating and zero ab muscle tone and everything was just going wherever it wanted to. Now I see a much more defined belly with the small pooch in the lower part where the baby is.

I'm going to a wedding Saturday and I got a super cute maternity dress for it--I don't even think I need it anymore, but I'm going to wear it anyway because, hello, it's super cute.

Me too! My appt is tomorrow and I'm completely whigging out. My pants still fit & my boobs don't feel as full. I'm a mess. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Just gotta keep repeating "Breath in, Breath out...everything's fine"
    Sending lots of "it's all good" vibes your way.
    Anna (36), DH (47), Little Man (4), , new baby in the making..due date 7/19/2014.

Thanks! I'm sure we're both going to be just fine!

15 weeks!

And scale says I gained weight! 161.6--stupid thing showing gain immediately but taking a week to decide if I lost anything. Whatever.

Appointment at 1 today...2nd trimester screening (quad-screen) and probably no other tests. Going to see if I can record the hb from doppler.

Trying not to be worried about anything.

As far as your belly looking smaller, just remember that what was once bloat is now baby! So that may account for changes in your belly size. Can't wait to hear about your appointment. I always get super nervous before going too.

Ughhh I just looked up my insurance claims and see a lab fee for $350 that was rejected by my insurance for "not being covered under maternity benefits". Not good. I can't afford that. The thing is, it doesn't itemize the lab tests so I can't check it against my policy to see if that's correct or if I need to try and fight it.

Ok so I looked up the LabCorp code to see what the test was and it is:

Prenatal Profile I With Hepatitis B Surface Antigen
    Test Includes: ABO grouping and Rh typing; antibody screen; CBC with differential; HBsAg; rubella antibodies, IgG; syphilis serology

Um...pretty sure all those tests are listed in my policy section maternity first trimester testing.

Edit: Wow. So the code they used for my lab tests doesn't fall under the Affordable Care Act for Preventative Prenatal Testing, so they aren't going to cover it unless my doctor can prove it was a medical necessity. They will cover tests but only if it's the "right" tests, what?! I'm so upset and confused. I seriously can't tell the difference between what they tried to get covered and what will actually be covered.

Now I feel like I have to tell my doctor how to file my claims so they can get paid. And I do I not get certain tests and treatments because ACA won't cover them? What a horrible system.

Update Edit: I called back, because I wanted to check if the Quad-Screen would be covered, it is. So I asked the lady about coding and why my other claim was rejected. She said that ACA is very picky and will only pay code-for-code, they won't take bundled codes or "panel" tests, it has to be itemized billing, so each code can be checked for coverage. SO I just need to get the lab or my Dr. office to rebill an itemized list of the tests and then I have a good chance of getting most of it covered.
    Last edited by Geneari; 01-09-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Ugh! So sorry for all the billing drama ! Stalking for an appt update!

Sooo frustrating !!! I'm glad it looks like everything is going to be covered eventually though !

Thinking of you today and hoping your appt goes perfectly!

Yay for weight gain! And sorry you have to deal with the hassle of getting your insurance to cover the lab tests. I suppose the doctors are all just getting used to the new system too, so hopefully it'll go smoother after they've had more time to adjust.

Appointment update:

Got to hear the heartbeat on doppler, found it pretty quickly, which eased all my worry. Nice and strong at 147 bpm. I got a recording but I can't figure out how to play it.

Midwife said that she'd like my weight to be at least back to PP weight by 20 weeks before she'll worry about or consider additional tests. So that's fine, at least she knows it's a concern for me and we have a tentative plan if needed.

And she said my A1C was on the higher side of normal so to be mindful of my carbs and simple sugars. I wonder though, since A1C is a 3 month "biohistory" could it be like that because of how sick I was and not really eating great. And now that I can eat normally, it will go back to a lower normal? I really have no idea how that works.

Got the quad-screen, should get the results next appt. Big anatomy scan next time, so excited for that! And I'm meeting one of the other midwives. While I'd love to keep the same one, I have to get used to all of them, so better do it sooner than later.

And they checked the lab thing and said that I'll have to contact LabCorp since they billed it to get them to rebill it correctly. I don't mind making calls and getting things fixed, but its' so frustrating when I talk to one person and get an answer and then someone else tells me something different and no one seems to know what is right or who should be in charge of taking care of it.
    Last edited by Geneari; 01-09-2014 at 01:48 PM.

great appt!!!

So glad to hear the appt went good. Hope all the problems with billing will be solved soon. I lost some weight (eight pounds) during the first trimester too and my midwife was not glad about it. It took me all of two weeks after my last bits of m/s till I started to regain some weight (was down at 156) but since I'm doing better the pounds start to come back faster than I thought possible. I gained at least a pound a week over christmas and new year, so you might just wait another week till all the empty depots are filled again and you as well will start to regain the weight. I was worried as well and started to track all my foodintake and honestly since I stopped it four weeks ago I feel much better and gained four pounds back. So my addvice is to stop beeing worried (easier said than done ). Seems to help most.
    Sabrina [33], DH [33] and our precious shaka-girl

Glad your appointment went well. It's so nice to hear that thumping heart beat.
    Anna (36), DH (47), Little Man (4), , new baby in the making..due date 7/19/2014.

27. Default

When did you get the A1C test and what were your numbers? Have you ever have that test run before (pre pregnancy)? It is completely possible that your numbers are out of whack because of your first trimester eating habits because, you are correct, it is a historical record of your levels. If you're not paring your carbs with protein your blood sugar will spike more quickly than otherwise and with a sensitive stomach a lot of people just opt for the carbs and leave out the protein.

As far as the insurance thing, you will HAVE to stay on top of them. Did your health insurance company give you the correct code for the service to get it paid? If not, can the Dr's office? LabCorp is not super helpful. We had an issue with the blood work for Cystic Fibrosis for my husband. He had to be tested because it turns out I'm a carrier. The way they coded it was like he'd just come off the street and asked for this random test. It was $750. We were never able to get it fixed (my husband dropped the ball and didn't stay on top of the lab).

And, finally, of course WOO HOO for 15 weeks and the heartbeat and the whole shebang! It sounds like your midwife is less concerned than you are about your weight, so I hope you can relax a little and just eat some more. ;)
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

I'm glad you replied, because I was just about to post something, maybe we can chat about it later. I didn't ask for the number, but I am going to call on Monday and ask for it. I've found that there is a pretty wide and not-very-standardized idea about what normal is supposed to be. So I want to find out if sh'es being conservative or what.

I'm not holding on to any ideas that my body will magically act like it always has, pregnancy changes things. If I need to change too, fine, but I need some evidence first. Depending on what the number actually is, I might not do anything different until my glucose test. If I fail, oh well, but I'm not inclined to think that I will.

And the lab thing, ugh, total pain. I was told that I have to call them, but I don't have a bill from them yet, just the EOB from my insurance. I'm not sure that is enough to call them on it. I do know they have to fix it, my Dr office can't do anything at this point.

Oh and my weight gain was short lived, back to 160.2 today.

Glad to hear all is going well! Sounds like a great apt!!
    Me (28) DH (32) DSD (9) DD (born 12/22/13)

16 weeks!!

I'd love to start feeling the baby for real.

My bladder is like the size of ping pong ball.

Still no weight gain. I stopped tracking my food intake and unfortunately I think I'm eating less as a result. I'm just not that hungry still. I eat meals and snacks and protein at (almost) every one. I'm just going to keep on and do my best. My midwife says appetite really picks up at 18/19 weeks so I'm hoping that happens for me.