Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Natalie/Geneari updates

35 weeks! I think I'm going to freak out this week when the countdown goes under 30 days... Going to work on the bags this week, just to be safe.

I'm feeling nervous about getting everything ready in time. Aside from not having much baby gear yet (we need some baby grooming items but we have the minimalist things you need, so it's ok...) there's other house stuff I want to get done. I have a list of freezer meals to make and by make, I mean, buy all the stuff and do the prep LOL. I cleaned our secondary fridge and need to give it some time to cool down--we haven't had it plugged in for a couple years.

I have a little foot right up against my left ribs and I just can't leave that little thing alone! So precious.

I think I'll take another pic this week. I haven't really kept up with it since I don't think I've changed that much.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

2. Default

Ha! We're going to see that pic and be like "OMG you're HUGE!"

I'm glad to hear about your freezer meal plans. A friend of mine, who is childless by choice, told me yesterday that she received an email for a meal calendar for a friend who just had her baby yesterday. In the email there were lots of caveats like "light on the garlic please," and "so-and-so doesn't care for" and my friend wondered my reaction/opinion. I felt it was a bit over the top. Unless you have an emergency situation, you have roughly 36 weeks (giving you that first month and all) to prepare for the arrival of your LO. If you can't manage some freezer meals in that time, I worry about your ability to juggle a kid and a household. LOL. Now, all of that doesn't apply if you suddenly go on bed rest and/or have a premature baby, etc. Obviously you'd need your friends to rally around you then.

So, I guess I'm just saying "yay for you Natalie! You're self proficient and I have no fears about your ability to juggle a baby and a household (and grad school)!"
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Hope freezer meals are a success! Better hurry up though.
    I don't agree however that the ability to cook and freeze has anything to do with the ability to juggle ;-) some people just can't do it. Or may be not used to it. However I would be happy to any kind of meal from friends as if I don't eat - my husband and children will so saying someone doesn't care for something is a little over the top ;-)
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Wow! Time is just FLYING BY! I'm excited/nervous to see it go under 30 days also. You seem to have everything in order, or at least a plan! Have you had a baby shower yet? I feel like I am procrastinating so much.. Hopefully things will start kicking in for me soon.

Can't wait to see your pic! You will probably be surprised at how much your belly has grown. Sometimes I look at my tummy and wonder how it's even possible for it to get any bigger. lol
    Me: Heather {28}, DH: Tahee {30}, & Baby Boy: Carter {born July 2, 2014}... makes three

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cheeksy View Post
    I don't agree however that the ability to cook and freeze has anything to do with the ability to juggle ;-) some people just can't do it. Or may be not used to it. However I would be happy to any kind of meal from friends as if I don't eat - my husband and children will so saying someone doesn't care for something is a little over the top ;-)

It was a little tongue in cheek. ;) And, I agree ... if people are willing to do something for you, you probably shouldn't put caveats around it .... just sounds a little entitled at that point. That's why I was a bit scathing of this person ... it felt like the new parents were counting on people to help take care of them when it's not like they're in a disabled situation, ya know?

Now, if a friend started the meal calendar w/o the new parent's knowledge just as a nice gesture, that's a bit different. I think it's a nice idea, but again, it's something that someone can typically do to prepare for baby and make their lives easier after delivery. In this area of the world it is custom to provide meals to people when loved ones have died, mostly, and then sometimes in cases of emergencies ... not so much for baby delivery.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Happy 35wks!!!!

And I cannot believe you're 35wks already, woohoooo ! Not long now !!

Can't wait to see an updated bump pic
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Yay for 35 weeks!!!!
    Jessica (34) DH (39) This is a first for both of us

30 days! That is just cray cray talk!!! Getting very eager to see these little babies!

35 weeks It's so awsome. I like the story of you feeling her little foot. Think about it. Just one more month and you can hold that feet in your hand without having the whole belly between it. Isn't that unbeliveable?!?
    Sabrina [33], DH [33] and our precious shaka-girl

Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post

It was a little tongue in cheek. ;) And, I agree ... if people are willing to do something for you, you probably shouldn't put caveats around it .... just sounds a little entitled at that point. That's why I was a bit scathing of this person ... it felt like the new parents were counting on people to help take care of them when it's not like they're in a disabled situation, ya know?

Now, if a friend started the meal calendar w/o the new parent's knowledge just as a nice gesture, that's a bit different. I think it's a nice idea, but again, it's something that someone can typically do to prepare for baby and make their lives easier after delivery. In this area of the world it is custom to provide meals to people when loved ones have died, mostly, and then sometimes in cases of emergencies ... not so much for baby delivery.
    :-D I totally understand you!

Natalie, how have you been feeling?

Emotionally I feel all better, just some normal worries and nervousness, but high spirits.

Physically...tired, achy, spd still my best friend ever (not). I think I'm noticing some very mild swelling in ankles/feet toward the end of the day or if I've been walking a lot.

Someone said "I bet you're miserable!" to me yesterday and I just laughed and let them interpret that however they wanted to. I'm not "done" or "over it" or wishing this would hurry up already. There's still important growing to do and I'm content to let it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Geneari View Post
    Someone said "I bet you're miserable!" to me yesterday and I just laughed and let them interpret that however they wanted to. I'm not "done" or "over it" or wishing this would hurry up already. There's still important growing to do and I'm content to let it happen.
    What a great outlook!!! Good for you It slightly annoys me when people start complaining really early on and wishing for baby to come. It's too SOON, like what is wrong with you!? Selfish I guess is what it cracks up to. I would say the last 2 weeks are the most miserable, at least for me they were. I slept A LOT. lol You're doing great!! Keep it up!!

It is nice that you are not in a hurry!! I did enjoy being pregnant with my girls. This pregnancy however was quite hard on me that sometimes I wish time just flew by even faster (not that I am to complain - it did fly fast but it was and still is tough). And honestly, pregnancy is my most favorite part about the motherhood - you only deal with the baby inside of you. And while all the discomfort etc disappears with birth, the workload increases by 1000s once the baby is actually here! I love every moment of being a mom, though. Even it is often challenging and even disappointing - it is a learning process. I envy FTMs a bit now cause even though with every child it is a whole new experience, actually being an FTM is the most intense and overwhelming experience I've ever had and of course, unforgettable.

Thank Varya, I always enjoy hearing your insights!!

I went to the doctor this morning and the good news is there's nothing wrong with my blood pressure! My urine was clean and everything else was normal. There isn't really bad news just that I maybe have a virus and possibly low blood sugar issues. I love all this guesswork!

The only thing I can do right now is stay hydrated, eat every 2-3 hours and rest when I need to. I'm really glad there was nothing seriously wrong, it's just a little frustrating knowing that something is off and not knowing what that thing is. C'est la vie!

Glad to hear it's not a serious problem with your bp, but I imagine it's very frustrating not knowing what is off and not being able to do something actively to prevent those miserable hours from happening again. I hope for a uneventfull week
    Sabrina [33], DH [33] and our precious shaka-girl

Great news !

I hear you though, it's good to know nothing is overtly wrong, but feeling "off" without an explanation, then grasping at straws to not feel that way is an exercise in frustration . Praying consistent hydration and eating every few hours does end up resolving the issue !!

So happy your BP is fine! I would still monitor it anyway at least once a day.
    totally get the frustration.

I'm feeling a tiny bit better, but I did some vacuuming and it reminded me that I'm not there yet lol.

Great news! I got the day care spot i was hoping for! So I will have school two days a week and be home the rest of the week. And they do cloth diapers, which is just a bonus!
    Last edited by Geneari; 06-03-2014 at 04:16 PM.

19. Default

Excellent news on all fronts!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

GreaT news! I also did some vacuuming just now and it sucked my energy out lol. I have 1 hour tutoring class coming up and then I have to take dd2 to the hospital as she has rash for 2 weeks now - doesn't bother her but it is just weird.

I need a moment to vent, though I have a feeling this will come across as more bratty than anything. I was told last night that my SIL got a free pack and play for us at an estate sale. On the one hand, that's great because I know PnPs are expensive, on the other hand I know literally nothing about this PnP.

The pack and play was the ONE piece of true baby "furniture" we were going to have. I've spent months researching them, finding ones will good reviews that had the functionality I wanted/needed. Finding one that was everything I wanted without being insanely expensive.

I didn't really expect anyone to buy us one, but I knew my mom would help us get it. And now I have this unknown entity. Is it new? Used? In a box? Have all the parts? Does it do anything other than give a spot for the baby to sleep?

I keep telling myself that I will not look a gift horse in the mouth and whatever it is I will make it work. I know my SIL would not give us something gross or badly used and I generally trust her taste in things (except wine, ugh, let's not go there!). I just...feel this little bit of panic over suddenly not knowing if the one thing I was counting on having control over--is going to be a disaster.

Sigh. I will not be a spoiled brat, I will not be a spoiled brat, I will not be a spoiled brat.

Oh hey, 36 weeks! I think we're approaching 'any day now territory', though my body doesn't seem ready, and that's fine.
    Last edited by Geneari; 06-05-2014 at 06:17 AM.

22. Default

You can keep that PnP as the "in the car" PnP to have when you visit friends and family and want/need to keep the LO contained.

If you were going to go with a PnP in lieu of a crib and really did all of your research, etc, I wouldn't change those plans. I doubt anyone will even know that you have two, but if they do you can explain this was the one item you researched high and low and REALLY wanted.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

23. Default

Isn't that irrational annoyance feeling just super painful?
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Happy 36wks!!!!!!

Ugh, Natalie, I would feel the same way about the pnp (and have been in that position a number of times with various items from friends/family) !!! Are you able to approach your mom about it as a safety issue? Maybe she could still help you with the purchase of a new one and explain to SIL that used baby items like that can be a potential danger. It was free so it's not like SIL is out anything, right? You are NOT being a spoiled brat *at all*!! I am always cautious with used baby items, especially ones that cannot be completely cleaned (could have been in a home with lead, smokers, a cat might have slept in it, etc...) or could be a safety hazard (broken parts are not always obvious). Imo, it's very important where baby sleeps, even if it's only occasionally .

Thanks you too!!

Kelly, I really don't know anything about it, it very well could be brand new in the box still. I'll see on Saturday! I have a feeling though that my SIL would not have recognized what it was if it was in the box, probably it was opened up and displayed which leads to other questions about use and possible damage.

Serenity now!

Oh man, I can totally relate! Two of the items that I REALLY wanted this time my sister bought for me without consulting. One was a baby bouncer. She bought it second hand, which I don't mind but it is not at all what I would have chosen. Logically I know it does the exact same as anything I would have bought myself. The second item was more irritating to me. I have researched up and down different baby carriers and wraps. She offered to buy one for me and I told her what I wanted, a woven wrap. She bought me a boba wrap, which is basically the moby. Exactly what I told her I didn't want. I feel very appreciative that she put effort and thought into buying for me. She's the only family member who has bothered. So I guess I sound bratty too but you can't help how you feel.

Happy 36 weeks!!

Yay to 36 weeks! I can't add anything to the above just that all our baby gear but 1 was second hand. With pnps we had an awful experience and now I know better who to take it from. I can only see getting it from 2 people if at all. We had a second hand crib before and now but it is from people we know quite well. So don't feel you are being bratty - you are having a child and it's natural to have such concerns! !!

AND don't feel bad for just wanting what *you* want...even if it is NIB, it's okay for you to graciously not accept it, you only get to have your first baby once .

Rach...ugh, HUGE diff between a knit and woven, I'm so sorry since I know wovens are a big expense ! Can you sell it/return it maybe and pay the difference for a woven?

Eta, we had a horrible experience with our first and a used crib...it *collapsed* on her when she was 9 months old , thankfully she was in the same room as us at the time so we heard it and were able to immediately get her out...ya, horrible parent guilt and looooots of crying on my part, but she was fine. Apparently, the screws were not secure and gradually unscrewed themselves ...we burned it (didn't want to risk throwing it out and someone trying to salvage and use it) and bought a pnp second-hand from a good friend who had been the only owner.
    Last edited by kellyowens; 06-05-2014 at 08:16 AM.

Today is my baby shower and I am super excited!! Although I only slept like 4 hours last night so I might be more tired than excited by the time we get there.

My aunt and uncle are coming from NC--haven't seen them in 2 years at least. So that's very special to me. Really I don't get to see any of my family except at holidays, which I think/hope will change when Abby arrives. I might not be able to get them to leave! LOL

We have friends coming that we don't get to see either--living so far away is really hard, and especially in the metro Atlanta area, if you live in certain places, it might as well be another state for how difficult it is to get there. So it's just going to be really great reconnecting and celebrating with everyone.

I prepared a little speech/toast and went over it a couple times to make sure I could say it without crying. I don't do public crying, some people can pull off that choked-up emotional speech but I can't.

How exciting for you!!! Hope you enjoy every bit of your shower!