Thread: Talk to me about IVF (long) (x-posted in STC)

Default Talk to me about IVF (long) (x-posted in STC)

Here's my story...

STC'd 18 months to get DS, who was born in October 2010. He was conceived off of 150mg of Clomid+dexamethasone+IUI. It was our second IUI and our 6th cycle with Clomid. I was getting close to considering IVF at the time because I wanted to be a mommy so badly, but DH was opposed to it (although admittedly he doesn't know much about it).

Fast forward to July 2012. Decided it was time to start TTC#2. We were hoping to get PG quicker this time, and God answered our prayers! We got PG on the first cycle even though it was a long cycle (technically, we conceived in mid-August even the LMP was early July). At our 8.5 week u/s, we learned the baby stopped growing at 7 weeks and had no heartbeat. I held on a little longer hoping and praying for a miracle, but at almost 11 weeks I had a D&C. We had the baby tested, and he/she was diagnosed with Trisomy 22. My OB had no reason to believe that we couldn't have another healthy baby.

I started back up with my RE in February 2013 and am still here plugging away. We've done 4 Clomid only cycles, 2 Clomid+injectibles, and 1 femara only cycle. Almost all have had IUIs. We also discovered I had polyps and I had surgery in May to remove them. My current cycle is with femara but it isn't going well and could end up being a busted cycle.

DH is still opposed to IVF but I'm coming around to it. We as believers believe that life begins at conception. So if we have a great response, what happens to the remaining embryos. We cannot destroy them, and I don't want to be pregnant a gazillion times (I had GD with DS). I'm also 33 and no spring chicken anymore. Having DS, I don't think I could give the embryos up for adoption knowing there could be another kid as great as him out there that was biologically ours.

I've heard from other Christian friends who have gone through IVF that the doctors might be able to control how many eggs we get with the meds. I've also heard that depending on what day the eggs are implanted (day 0 vs day 1) there is no genetic code and therefore no life.

Just trying to understand all my options to add to our family and still hold to my beliefs. Yes, I know about adoption and we are looking into that, but I really am not ready to let the idea of being pregnancy again go just yet.

Thanks for reading. Any feedback/advice is appreciated!
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

Blog Entries

We are also of the mindset that life begins at conception (immediately so). So, if we had ever had to do IVF we would do so with all embryos likely over several years, not necessarily all at once. Therefore we would not attempt IVF unless we were willing to try to implant all the embryos at some point. I don't think that I could really donate them, either, but would do so before destroying any of them.

I have never heard of an embryo not having a genetic code. Once the sperm it accepted by the egg, there is a full complement of chromosomes present.

Could you instead just try to fertilize as many eggs are you would be willing to use? Could your other eggs be frozen instead of embryos frozen?
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

Hmm. Hadn't thought of that. I will add that to my list of questions for the RE. I promised DH I'd take a break in Dec/Jan, so I assume we'll be meeting with the RE again in Feb to outline a new plan.

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

Like Jessica's post we believe life begins at conception. So I would only harvest and fertilize the eggs I will for sure implant. we had friends that did IVF and they only fertilized 6 eggs. They transplanted 2 eggs at a time for 3 pregnancies. They ended up with 2 sets of twins and 1 singleton. The last baby's twin did not make it.

Brenda

i believe the same as the others. and there is no way at any point there is no genetic code. an egg or sperm alone has half the dna, as soon as the egg is fertilized ALL the dna is present.

i have close friends who did what pants said, though it sounds simpler than it was in practice. they had to shop around for a dr willing to do IVF with such strict parameters. Most they talked to havested many eggs, fertilized as many as they could, picked the best, implanted several, etc. they had to go out of state to find a dr willing to fertilize only a couple eggs, and implant only what she could carry, etc. i dont remember the specifics at the end, but they ended up with twins, and one other failed attempt i think.

another option might be to donate/adopt out any fertilized eggs that you dont use. i think there was a woman on here who had a pregnancy with an adopted embryo? anyway, just a thought.

Fyi on this last post...there is a pro life agency in sc that adopts out fertilized eggs. Maybe if you contact them they can give you doctor references for your area and/or adoption agencies for fertilized eggs if you do fertilize a lot of them.
    Btw yes my friends had to search around. But they were determined that if they could not find a doc willing to work within those parameters maybe it just wasn't meant to be they go that route. But thankfully they found one. And make sure you o with any results of the ivf. Good luck to you.

We have a very close Christian friends who just had a baby from an adopted embryo. I truly appreciate that this miracle happened for them. However, after having DS, DH and I just don't think we could put our embryos up for adoption. DS is such a great kid, and I think I would always wonder if there was another one out there just like him. I know it is different for everyone, but DH and I are pretty much in agreement that we couldn't do that, so this limits us a bit.

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

I was wondering if this may be a helpful resource for you ... I was recently given this link for search of Christian doctors in my area http://www.cmda.org/wcm I have not found a directory on the site but I guess that one could call them to find a doctor. Their website has an ethic statement regarding to IVF so I maybe they could direct you to a member doctor who would be willing to work with you. Their ethic statements related to reproductive technology are under this link: http://www.cmda.org/wcm/CMDA/ISSUES_...1-c66ab22ce293

Thank you so much for this info!

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

Quote Originally Posted by GatorGRITS View Post
    Thank you so much for this info!
    You are welcome. I hope you find a solution for your family.

My husband and I went through IVF and we harvested 31 eggs but onlyhalf of those fertilized well and as the days went on, we ended up with 6 embryos. I have done two transfers thus far and have had one healthy baby. We have two embryos left and will use them in January or February and hope that we will get pregant again.