Thread: Depressed or just emotional?

Default Depressed or just emotional?

Hi ladies,

So here is a little background.. I have been at my job now for 5 years. I love it here. I work with wonderful, supportive people and many of them are my friends outside of work. Currently, we are a single-income family, mine. Hubs has been out of work for about 4 months now. Lately (I guess since knowing I'm pregnant) whenever I get to work, I just want to cry! I handle stress quite well & I have been primarily self sufficient/independent my adult life but I just feel so overwhelmed now. I know it is normal to be emotional and even normal to experience some depression while pregnant but at what point should that go away or get easier? My SO is completely supportive and does all he can to alleviate stress from me but I can't help it, as soon as I walk into work I want to break down. When I am home, it's not as bad (probably because I am sleeping so much - which I don't like either). Is anyone else currently or with previous pregnancies experienced this? I know there is no magic cure but some insight would be nice. I have my first appt. on Wednesday and I plan to bring up my concerns then as well.

Gah.. I'm even crying as I write this! I want so bad for it to go away and "be normal" again. Then I get caught up in "I know this is part of being pregnant, just suck it up and bare thru it" because I'm trying SO HARD to be positive this pregnancy. My first one, my daughter was stillborn at 7months (07/2012) so I'm trying not to hate being pregnant this time & wondering if some of my fears and anxiety are from my previous loss. I just don't know what to do with all these emotions! All I do is cry or sleep.

Any advice mamas?

Also... I'm 28, getting married in 11 days and I am 12 weeks along. Thanks for listening...

From my experience (this is my third pregnancy) what you are experiencing is completely normal. I have felt like an emotional roller coaster this pregnancy and am just now starting to feel semi-normal. With my first I was a complete basket case throughout. Even with my last pregnancy I had emotional periods, ,mostly in the first trimester and then towards the very end which was both the result of extreme exhaustion and hormones. I hate crying in front of people yet when pregnant I can't contain the tears and will cry at the drop of a hat. Normal, not-so-worrisome issues suddenly bring about tears. I hate it but I will cry when those really sappy commercials about old people or pets come on. I also get really sentimental, so normal, everyday things like watching my kids play outside will bring on a sudden bout of crying. All normal I think. The only time I think one should worry is if it is interrupting one's daily routine or worrisome. Hang in there!
    Dayna (37) DH (37) DD (5) DS1 (3) DS2 3-31-14

Being emotional during pregnancy is normal. If you feel that its extreme though I would not hesitate to talk to your doctor about it. Congrats by the way!

Talking to someone can help - especially if you feel like there are past emotions involved with this pregnancy I do think a lot of your feelings are normal for early pregnancy and am right with you on the extreme reactions to small things. I am a pretty level headed person and rationalize well, but when pregnant I have little control of the hormones/emotions at times. I hope you feel better as the first trimester winds down. Don't be afraid to talk to a counselor about your feelings though - I used one for a few sessions when I was going through some tough marriage stuff and it was really helpful. Talking it out and writing down your honest feelings can make things feel less overwhelming and show you how to work through it.
    [/URL]

Thank you all. It's nice to know that I am not alone (or crazy) but I think I will try talking to someone also. It just sucks because when I am not emotional, I don't feel like discussing it or it seems silly. :/

Hi Myssi -- First off, welcome! You DEFINITELY aren't alone or crazy. The hormones going on can do some whacky stuff to us. I definitely support your inclination to talk to someone. I've found counseling to be a huge help for me in the past dealing with some anxiety issues. A good counselor can help you sort out what's what, and will almost certainly validate what you're feeling so that you don't feel too bad about it feeling silly -- which it isn't!

You're doing a great thing for yourself by getting it out there. I suspect that alone may help. KUP. Hope you can find someone great to talk to quickly.
    Sara: 31, DH: 33. After 19 months of STC, we caught an eggie! #1 is on its way!

Make a pregnancy ticker