Thread: Totally bizarre

Default Totally bizarre

I had a really traumatic epidural experience with my last baby (which is why I would never have one again) and had pain and discomfort up to 6 months after the baby was born. Since then nothing. The past two days my back has been really bugging me and I feel SO uncomfortable right at the epi site. I don't know if that is even possible but it is not just a here and there thing and has been pretty constant. It kind of has me freaked out a little bit.

Ugh, that doesn't sound very pleasant...definitely something to bring up to the doc at your first appt. Hopefully it doesn't hang out that long though.
    Last edited by AnnaBoop; 11-21-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Anna (36), DH (47), Little Man (4), , Little Lady (brand new!)

Yeah that is really something to bring up. Ouch!

Sorry Rach that sounds awful, I hope you can get some answers and relief!!

Maybe you're growing in an area that is pressing on some spots that not healed quite right?
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Ugh. That sounds terrible! I hope its temporary and that it goes away very soon!!

If you don't mind me asking, what happened during your epidural? You can PM me if you don't want it to be public, or not tell me at all! Haha. I'm just very interested in stories like this because so many people think nothing can happen. I do NOT want an epidural, and people think I'm nuts.
    Me (28) DH (32) DSD (9) DD (born 12/22/13)

I don't mind sharing. It took three different people and multiple shots each to get the epidural into the correct spot. First they had a student try it. She only tried once and got all nervous so the person supervising her took over. That lady poked me multiple times and dug around in my back to get it in. They numbed me first but it wasn't working and I felt every single thing they did. They had me sitting on the edge of the bed leaned forward and I was sobbing it hurt so badly. They kept putting more and more numbing medication in since I was obviously feeling it. I can still feel it grinding against cartilage/ligament/whatever it was they were hitting when I talk about it. It was so bad! They ended up calling for the head of the entire anesthesia department and he came in and got it right away. With my oldest daughter the epi wore off and I was able to get up and out of bed about an hour after she was born. With Olivia, I was unable to get out of bed and have full control of my legs until 12 hours later. I had to be wheeled to recovery in the bed. Because of all the junk they pumped into me I was unable to urinate until the next day so they made me keep the IV port in overnight in case they had to give me more fluids as well. It was just a ridiculous mess and caused me pain and discomfort up to 6 months after the experience. The next day the head of the anesthesia department came in and checked on me (which doesn't usually happen) and apologized up and down to me about my experience. I will NEVER get an epidural again! Frankly I don't even want to birth in a hospital at all again but it is covered by my insurance where as a home birth would have to 100% be paid out of pocket. ?

Oh wow. See, it is stories like this that make me not want one. I can't stand the thought of something rubbing against my ligaments/spine/whatever. Just reading your story made me feel panicky. I'm SO sorry you went through that and hope that things go SO smooth and naturally this time!
    Me (28) DH (32) DSD (9) DD (born 12/22/13)

And I got the epidural WAY too early! The nurse was pushy about getting it then if I wanted it and spooked me by saying that if I didn't get it at that time than because of the way the baby was positioned by the time I went into active labor it would be too late. I had planned to get an epi from the beginning since I had an ok experience with it the first time but at the time I got it I was really handling my pain just fine without. This time I am not just going to sit there and let them do whatever they want with me and I am darn sure not letting students touch me again.

Sorry you had such a bad experience! !! They don't even offer it here. I hope you can choose the anesthesiologist for next time! !
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by cheeksy View Post
    Sorry you had such a bad experience! !! They don't even offer it here. I hope you can choose the anesthesiologist for next time! !
    I won't need one since I refuse to have one again.

I also had my last baby under a not good epi experience and will not get one again because of it. I did not suffer from pain after it but it was what happened during the time I had it. It dropped my bp to 60/40 and made it feel as if I was having a heart attack my chest felt so heavy and was burning so bad I thought I was dying. This happened 2x and yes they were able to stablizie it quickly it was just to scary to risk it happening again. I plan on just doing iv meds while I can then when to late for anymore I will just do it on my own. I had dd1 with no pain meds at all (happened to fast) and it was a tolerable pain but still painful all at the same time.

During this time they had a student come in and introduce herself and ask if she could watch my birth and help with procedures. I was having a contraction and as soon as it was over I said "you're more than welcome to watch...but don't you dare touch me!" And that's how it went the whole time. NO students for IVs, epis, nada. You're not trained - you don't touch me.

I'm so sorry you had that experience. I would contact your doctor and let them know you're having the pain. You also might contact the anesthesia department at the hospital you delivered at and ask them for advice too.
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

I had an epi once and it took over a year for that area of my back to feel right again. For the first week I had shock like pain that shot up and down my spine...it was terrible. The epi wasn't for L&D though...I was 8months preggers and had an appendectomy...had a homebirth 3wks later on my dd .

I have had intrathecals twice and no problems other than a weird feeling around the insertion site while it healed.

Eta...I'd definitely bring it up to the chiro.
    Last edited by kellyowens; 11-24-2013 at 11:54 PM.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

how awful. I am so afraid of the epi. I get sick or worse, go into shock with most narcotic pain killers. Every time I turn around I hear another epi horror story. It just makes me feel right about going natural next to all the other reasons. Are you doing a home birth then? Or just mw at a birth center or hospital?
    Mariah (35) and DH (40) BFP 8/12/13! Baby Kayla is here! Praying for all the APA girls .

Oh man I'm so sorry about your experience! I definitely want to try to stay away from an epi. A girl tried of mine had her baby back in august and she had a bad experience. He sai they went to deep or something, I can't remember and they said she may suffer from headaches when she stands up it sits up. She said she was in so much pain with a migraine for 4 days after birth she literally cried her eyes out rocking back and forth. Her DH really had to take over for the baby AF she felt helpless. She went back to the doctor finally and they had to prescribe her medicine after giving her an ivory medicine as well. She said that even hydros didn't help. Ugh it's so not worth it!
    Kim-26 DH-26 I love being a SAHM! Will TTC #2 summer of 2015

Yikes! That'd make me shy away from getting another one too. As for the current discomfort you're experiencing, I hope it subsides! You could try a warm compress..... but if it continues I'd call. Feel better!
    Leigh(36)/Matt(40)/Sonja Lily(4)/Damien Andrew(1.5)