Thread: I need support/help

Default I need support/help

I am overweight. I weigh 142lbs and I am 5feet tall. I've had 5 kids in 7 years and we are totally done now. I am back to pre-pregnancy from my last baby who is now 4 months old...but still have around 30lbs I would like to lose to feel back to myself.

I see all these fad diets out there and feel like I need help in knowing which way to turn. Currently we do shakes for breakfast which consist of Kale/1/2 banana/coconut milk/broccoli/flax/water/greek yogurt(plain)and another fruit, whatever we have.

Lunch i either eat leftovers or have a chicken/veggie wrap

Supper is usually something generally healthy

I drink 2 cups o coffee a day and i put milk in it and I am NOT willing to give that up, LOL!

I have been reading about the Paleo diet...thoughts? Any other recommendations?

I need to get working out, I know i do...it's just hard being that I work full time and have 4 kids...I am exhausted.

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

While it is better for your overall health, and will allow you to eat more, you don't *have to* work out. It is basically a simple equation - calories in, calories out. I like Myfitnesspal for keeping me honest. When I was logging everything I ate, I lost at a steady (and slow) clip. Make sure you drink lots of water, eat healthy protein/fats first (before your carbs), and try and keep your carbs unprocessed, so fruits and veggies, and whole grain. Losing 30 pounds is no joke. You have a lot to be proud of already.

I agree on myfitnesspal. It is a really flexible food journal with tons of foods listed from restaurants to fresh foods to even recipes from websites. You can add your own, say for your smoothie so you aren't putting in a bazillion ingredients every day.

And what Suja said is true. Weight loss is like 80% diet/20% activity. Your activity level (notice I'm not saying exercise) will decide your lean muscle mass and whether you will look more toned or not after losing weight. But it's really not strictly necessary. You can walk laps on breaks from work or at lunch, do little things here and there that will add up. It's SO NOT necessary to do time at the gym or even large blocks of working out at once. Just up your activity level a little bit each day.

You can do it!
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

thanks ladies...I think I will sign up for my fitness pal...

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

MFP can be helpful. I am finding it take a while to set it up though. Maybe I am just dumb.

Come join us over at the "self improvement" NET in Random. We are all in the same boat!
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I like fitness pal but, haven't done it in a while because my doctor wants lower carbs than recommended on there its really annoying seeing on a daily basis "You have eaten too few calories" . I've lost 23 pounds since March with a low carb diet but, its a pain in the rear. I did it to avoid taking metaformin I was borderline insulin resistant. Now I am back in the normal range. I think what you are eating and doing is really great. Do you drink soda? I need to quit drink diet and just drink water but, its really hard to get started. Switched to diet I think has helped me the most. I have 13 pounds to lose my doctor wants me at 140 but, no lower than 135 in her terms she thinks less than 135 is too skinny for me and I'm only 5'1'' but, she doesn't really go by weight charts.
    *** Lindsay ***

You can edit the goals of the different nutrients, which should prevent you from seeing those messages.

Here's how: Go to the goals tab, then there's a green button that says Change Goals, radio button for Custom Goals and then a whole new screen appears where you can change the numerical values for the things you want to change.

It's really convenient because they don't offer specific settings for say pregnancy or nursing or vegetarians so you can modify it as you need to.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Quote Originally Posted by Geneari View Post
    You can edit the goals of the different nutrients, which should prevent you from seeing those messages.

Here's how: Go to the goals tab, then there's a green button that says Change Goals, radio button for Custom Goals and then a whole new screen appears where you can change the numerical values for the things you want to change.

It's really convenient because they don't offer specific settings for say pregnancy or nursing or vegetarians so you can modify it as you need to.
    Thanks I will look into that.
    *** Lindsay ***

Eating water-rich foods such as melons, tomatoes and celery can help fill you up without adding too many calories to your day. Avocados can be your secret weight loss partners. They're high in fiber and healthy fats, giving you a meaty-tasting meat alternative. Success