Thread: 5 Days Before Estimated Ovulation...?

Default 5 Days Before Estimated Ovulation...?

My husband and I DTD last night, and he did not pull out (like he usually does). I stopped taking the pill about two months ago... I had my last period on October 14th. Since I had been on the pill, I'm not sure how many days in my cycle. I'm wondering if I could be pregnant? I noticed a little mucous when I went to the bathroom earlier today, and it had a very thin strain of blood in it. Implantation bleed? Or would this be too soon? I know its unlikely, as, going by a generic 28 day cycle, I'd be about 5 to 6 days before ovulation (hence why I'm thinking this could not possibly be implantation bleeding, since I haven't dropped an egg...) I don't know, I'm just throwing it all out there! We'd be thrilled if I was pregnant, but I'm just trying to understand if its possible yet, or if the sperm might just be hanging around in there, waiting for an egg, haha. I've heard sperm can last up to 5 days, so, I suppose it's possible? Thanks in advance for anyone with some advice or thoughts!

The short answer is, no, you're not pregnant. "Pregnant" doesn't even come into play before ovulation occurs.

Could you get pregnant? Possibly ... IF you ovulate on day 14 it's possible but rather unlikely sperm could live for 5 days and fertilize an egg at that point. Much more likely if you have sex closer to ovulation, but even with everything working perfectly and perfect timing your chances of getting pregnant are only 25%.

You really should start charting your cycle and temping so you get to know your cycle. Learning when you do ovulate (as opposed to when the internet thinks you might ovulate) will help you time things appropriately. Good luck.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

All right, I suppose I should have been more specific. I understand conception comes before pregnancy... it's just more of a figure of speech to use the term pregnant, or becoming pregnant soon. Besides that, yes, I'm definitely tracking things now. I couldn't very well track ovulation while on the pill. This month is the first for my natural cycle. So now begins the tracking process! I'm just wondering what the pink mucous could be... unless its just my body still regulating after being on the pill. I suppose that's the likeliest answer. Anyway, thanks!

Yes, it is your body regulating. CM (cervical mucous) is usually a sign that your body is gearing up to ovulate soon. It is a normal part of the menstrual cycle but when you are on the pill you don't see it because you aren't ovulating. The pink is some blood mixed in which is likely wackiness post-pill. Certainly not implant bleeding, because that happens about a week after ovulation and not every woman even has it.

Got it. It makes sense, thanks. I figured that might be what's going on, but it's nice to have someone else weigh in. I've been on the pill for a few years, so this is a bit new for me! Thanks again.

No problem! Good luck.