I thought I would share this method that seems to be working really well for us right now I feel like I am always asking for advice so maybe this will help someone else! I was struggling with DD1 constantly asking to use electronic devices all day. I found a solution but we are still working out the kinks.

I gave each kid 4 poker chips. Each represents 30 mins of screen time. This includes TV watching, kindle playing (we don't have ipads), computer, wii, etc. Anything that has you looking at a screen. Music (even on the ipod) or books on CD are excluded. If they want to do anything electronic they need to pay a chip. They can only use 2 in a row. It represents a total of 2 hrs of screen time/day which they have not even been totally using

It's been a lifesaver for me. I was being constantly badgered by requests to use electronic devices and I would lose track of how long they were playing on them. Now THEY are in control and I noticed they will do something else instead of using too many so they wont use them all at once. A loophole for now is that one can pay and the other benefits but so far it hasn't been a problem. I also thought they could do extra chores to earn more and they can be used as "punishment" for extreme acting out but so far we aren't going that route.

Anyway, just thought I would share. The nice thing is you can start with as many as you like and make it as much time as you want. I chose 30 mins so it could be used for 1 episode of a TV show which is what they typically watch (rather than a movie). I can throw them freebies if I really need to get them out of my hair but like I said above, it's been working great and they have not even fully used them each day.