Thread: Should I bother?

Default Should I bother?

So I did end up weaning DD3 from nursing and switched to bottles of pumped milk mixed with whole milk. It seems to be going fine except she still doesn't STTN and making bottles is such a PITA! I feel more relaxed though and I am happy with our new relationship

Anyway, I have been pumping twice a day - once in the morning and once before bed. I was getting 5oz each time for a total of 10 for the day. She takes about 4-5 4oz bottles/day so it was basically half and half. Now a few days later and I am not getting quite as much when I pump which I guess makes sense. Now I seem to get 3oz each time for a total of 6oz/day.

For some reason I am feeling like 6oz/day isn't really worth it but 10oz seemed better (not sure why...it's only 4oz). Anyway, I don't want to pump more to get more because quite honestly pumping is becoming annoying. I end up forgetting at night and then have to pump when I am totally exhausted and wanting to go to bed.

So on to my point finally - do you think it's worth it for 6oz/day? She takes the whole milk fine. I know ANY amount of BM is good but IDK....if it were winter I would continue because I feel like it would offer immunity from colds and illness but so far (luckily) we are all in good health.

So WWYD? Would you keep going or just phase it out?
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (20M)

I would completely stop driving myself crazy with pumping and call it quits. LOL. Then have a stiff drink or two

I don't know how you are with your supply but I tend to over produce and get clogged if I quit cold turkey. I have to stop gradually over a week. Others can do it cold turkey with zero problems. So depending on how your body responds to weaning I will take the appropriate course but I would not pump for her any longer.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I wanted to add that you did quite awesome and BF her for more than a year. I cannot count the moms around me who stopped BF their 3rd around 6 mo mark or so. You have plenty on your plate and just keeping it together is a lot of work. You do not need the stress of pumping.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

THANK YOU I am thinking I will start to phase it out. It's funny when I was pumping 10oz I was like, "this is great! I may go on for the next year like this!" and once it went down to 6oz it quickly turned to, "why am I bothering with this?" I pump 2xs/day so I guess I will go down to once/day for a week and then just stop and try to dry up. I can't believe how quickly I went from "maybe I will wean soon" to being almost totally done lol.

What tanyachap said... If you're ready and she takes other milk, why not?

I was going to add, if you stop pumping right before your period, it might help with engorgement issues.
    Me: 29, DH: 29, DS: 2, DD: Born 2/10/11

ITA with the ladies. You've done a great job, Momma!

She is big enough already for whole milk. So don't worry and make the switch, especially because you already let her drink it half half with your milk. You really did good with nursing her even though it wasn't always comfortable or enjoyable! Well done, mama!
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Nah. I wouldn't pump. Just be done with it.

I totally agree. You've done an awesome job, but its time to just be done.
    Jennifer

Thanks so much I am feeling less guilty although she refused her bottle twice yesterday so I was starting to panic a little. She drank it just fine this morning though.

I was pumping in the morning and at night. I skipped last night which felt good because I had forgotten and was very tired. This morning I barely could tell the difference! I thought I would wake up really full but I wasn't and I only pumped 4oz. I will do that a few more days and then probably just stop and let my body do it's thing. I can't believe I am almost done! It kind of happened fast but it feels good

I am happy to hear this! It is peoplelikeyou who need to be applauded for sticking with it for the full year despite your own personal feelings. WTG! Enjoy your soon tobe freedom from the pump! Great job!

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (5) Isabe11e (4) and C0rbin (3) Vio1et (16 months)

Woohoo! Congrats!

Hey, maybe in a couple months you can get some new bras to celebrate this stage.
    Me: 29, DH: 29, DS: 2, DD: Born 2/10/11

Agree with everyone else! Be done with it and switch to whole milk only!
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

You did a great job mama! I agree with all the other mamas!