Thread: Struggling with moving forward with IVF or not

Default Struggling with moving forward with IVF or not

So my entire plan has led me down the path of 3 IUIs and then if those didn't take, to move on to my one and only IVF procedure. Now I am wondering if maybe I should hold off on that process. I have not heard very many successes and it makes me really nervous to go down that $10,000 road if we don't end up pregnant. I have also had several friends lately that have fallen pregnant after years of trying and failing at IVF. I just don't know what I want to do. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks ladies!

TTC since 08/06
    Cheryl- 34 Nick-32
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3f4f0a

I don't have a ton of advice... But I "know" of 3 people who have done IVF and gotten pregnant from IVF... Cait from here, Erika from here, and a friend in real life.

Ultimately you have to do what feels best for you and your husband! Praying for guidance on your decision.

I definitely understand the stress of spending that much money with such a high risk. Everyone goes through this differently. I can tell you that DH and I felt that we just had to give it a shot, that we would always wonder if we didn't try and we could always figure out the money thing later.

You guys just have to do what is best for you

I agree. The factors are different for everyone;what you are willing to do and where you are comfortable drawing the line can only be determined by you and DH. Our insurance covered nothing, so paying out of pocket was a huge stress to us. But we determined it to be worth the risk and debt to give it a try. You're doing the right thing to take a breather and make sure this is what you want to do. There are many ways to become a parent if you and DH are open to them. Whatever your choice, we're here for you and sending you lots of
    Last edited by HighHopesMama; 07-04-2013 at 10:03 AM.

I am not a gambler so 10k for something that isn't a sure thing is definitely a lot of money to put down. Have you thought about adoption? I have always wanted to adopt, but the costs are prohibitive. It's sad that, in the end, it's less expensive to have your own kid for the most part. But 10k on a chance vs. 20 - 30k on a sure thing ... it depends on the kind of odds you want to play.

We have had some great IVF successes here recently, so I think that's a good sign. What odds are they giving you?
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

They are giving us the typical 50-60%. I will be 35 in September and DH is 33. I ovulate every month and DH has low morph and had low sperm count, but since he started taking the Fertilaid and walnuts, while cutting out all soy, he is now up to 50k - 72k post wash. So in essence, not quite sure of our problem. We adoption is not a completely sure thing either. We have two friends that paid for the birth mom's expenses and at the last minute, she changed her mind.

At this point we will be moving forward with it, but still nervous! We will keep you all posted for our possible egg retrieval of September 2nd. If this doesn't work, then we will be moving on to adoption. Thank you ladies so much for your continued support!!!

TTC since 08/06
    Cheryl- 34 Nick-32

Quote Originally Posted by livliv View Post
    We adoption is not a completely sure thing either. We have two friends that paid for the birth mom's expenses and at the last minute, she changed her mind.

At this point we will be moving forward with it, but still nervous! We will keep you all posted for our possible egg retrieval of September 2nd. If this doesn't work, then we will be moving on to adoption. Thank you ladies so much for your continued support!!!

Hope that you don't need to move on to adoption! Definitely hard decision to make. We don't know what your problem was but with no insurance for anything IF related, we knew we didn't want to pay for IUI and definitely wouldn't pay for IVF. With adoption, so much depends on the agency and state. We went with our agency because we do not pay for expenses until AFTER a placement so there is a lot less risk there. Just so far have paid some fees for the home study. Plus there is an almost 13K tax credit that is pretty helpful. I also believe that my state has limits of what birthmom expenses can be paid....some states have no limits. Oh and my agency does a lot of counseling and screening of the birthmoms to try to help make sure it's what they truly want to do and doesn't match or show them birth families until late in the pregnancy.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Congrats on moving forward! I understand your being nervous, it's a big deal, but hoping everything works out perfectly. I'll be cheering for you!!! We're also planning a September IVF, but I think our ER is later in the month.

I'm glad that you have a plan in place that you are comfortable with.
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

Going to IVF is a big decision, but it sounds like you guys know that it is right for you. I was only given a 5-10% chance of success, but we knew that my ovaries were the problem. Is ICSI covered in the IVF? That might resolve your issue, and if you produce plenty of follicles/eggs, you might even have a few frosties left over!

Erica 33, DH 34, STC for 4+ years, Diagnosed DOR 4/2011, mom to 4 , Barbados IVF March 2013!!!

Thanks ladies!! I am on vacation now and somehow got sick, started my cycle early (cd 24) and feel crappy! Every time I get nervous about my next procedures, you ladies always give me that sense of peace. Thanks again ladies!

TTC since 08/06
    Cheryl- 34 Nick-32

Feel better! I will be cycling just a coupe of weeks behind you, so we'll be going through it together. Hope you enjoy your vacation.

Hi there! I went through 6 failed IUIs before we moved onto IVF and I was 38 at the time. We had success with our first IVF but our RE had a plan that if the first IVF didn't work, you would get another shot at IVF for free. Does your RE offer any plans like that? I wish you all the success and know it is such a hard decision to make.

How are you doing? Thinking of you!

Hi Kelly, sorry for the MIA moment. I tried to take a minute off bc I have been so stressed. I am doing better and we are on CD 2 of our IVF cycle. I picked up my birth control pills today and will start those tomorrow (CD 3). I take those for 2 weeks and then begin Follistim. We decided to be extremely aggressive with the drugs as my body didn't react super great with my IUI cycles. I also have my whole blood panel work up tomorrow (checking FSH levels). Finally, I have my baseline scan tomorrow.

I am so nervous and any other info you girls can provide, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

TTC since 08/06
    Cheryl- 34 Nick-32

I'm so excited for you !! Really hoping and praying !!!

...I would be nervous too...praying the next few weeks go by quickly!

So excited for you Cheryl! Can't wait to hear how things go tomorrow. Hope everything is great. Don't forget to ask about HGH and see if they'll let you do a round. We used that when we got pregnant with our son. I'm convinced it helped our egg quality. Sending you lots of . I'll be cycling right behind you in September!

Excited for you! I'll be stalking.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12