Thread: Yet another car seat question!

Default Yet another car seat question!

So I am looking for something pretty specific. My DD is almost 4 1/2, but she doesn't quite weigh 30 lbs yet. I am not ready to pull her out of her car seat, but I am looking to get a high back booster/convertible seat combo to have on hand. I have looked at some, but honestly don't really know much about them. It would be used when she goes with MIL, my sister, my cousin, etc, and if we bring friends home from school for play dates. We would be using the harness for a while when we do use it. I just don't want to buy another regular seat as we will eventually be moving DD to a booster. Although she might be 7 before we get there weight-wise! lol The one key thing we need though, is something that is pretty narrow. It would have to fit between DD's Graco MyRide and DS's Britax Marathon that is still rear facing - does this exist?? TIA!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Have you looked at the Graco Nautilus 3-1? I have them and like them.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I love Olivia's MyRide, so I am a Graco fan. Is it big, though? Her MyRide seems enormous and it looks wide. I saw some cheaper ones that seem a lot smaller. I guess I would just have to go to the store and see if it fits.

I don't feel that the nautilus is near as big as the myride. We have both. My son is 5 and weighs 35lbs he's in the nautilus. My daughter is rear facing in the myride and I can fit them next to each other in the car. In our old car there was no way I could fit a 3rd seat next to it though.

It has cup holders so it may be wide. I am not familiar with the myride so I don't have anything to compare it to and my car is ginormous I originally got it for DD1 because she is a very skinny one too....she actually weighs less at age 7 than my 5yo does! She is 42lbs maybe? Most of her friends are 60-70lbs! So it's good for those kids who you just don't feel comfortable putting in a booster yet. I have the Graco Turbo booster for DD1 now because she got too tall for the 5pt harness in the Nautilus and DD2 was growing out of the Britax and DD3 was growing out of the infant seat so we just shifted everyone. I think DD2 is ready for a booster now so we will probably convert it.

I can measure it for you if that would help? It would have to be tomorrow though since I am already in my pjs and it's like 8 degrees out
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Blog Entries

From what I was told when I was looking at how to get three car seats in a row, you really need to by three slim car seats. I don't think that either of the two you mentioned are slim seats.

There are lots of options for a forward facing harness that also can be a booster. The one that we ended up getting for my 4.5 year old is a Recaro. She can weigh up to 120 lbs and be 59 inches tall before she outgrows the seat in the booster mode. The harness works from 20 to 90 lbs and 50 inches tall. She is an average size kid so we expect her to be in this seat for a good long time, too.

My DD likes the seat and when she falls asleep in it her head does not lean forward.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

Yeah, I know we have 2 pretty big seats. But we can fit a backless booster between them, so I guess I am hopeful that there is a high back one out there that might fit since DS's seat is still RF. When we went to FL, the car service provided seats for my kids that seemed like they might be small enough, but I didn't even think to look at what kind they were!

Dd is currently in a Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite. I believe it's 17" across, I fit it in between 2 combi coccoros in my old nissan sentra. The harness can FF up to 65 lbs and converts to a high back booster although I have not used it like that yet it goes to 100 lbs.

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

Not sure about the fit between the two seats (you would have to measure how much space you have) but we use Evenflo Maestro. Both kids are still in the 5 pt harness. DS is 45.5 in tall and about 44 lbs (I think, I cannot remember now). The 5 pt harness goes up to 50 lbs so he can be using for a while still and he will be 6 in May. DD is in the same seat, also still in the 5 pt harness, she is 38.5 in and about 36 lbs. She is a little younger than your DD but she is bigger than your girl. Both kids are comfortable in the seat even though one is tall and lanky and the other shorter and stout (I have had this issue with prior seats where they were comfy for one of them but not the other due to their different body shape - and I was trying to reuse seats for DD after DS outgrew them). The seat has 2 cup holders but they can be removed. So that made me think that you may be able to fit it in the middle if you take them out.

I drive a Chevy Cobalt and I do not think I could fit another one in the middle (at least not with the cupholders). It would fit easily in our F150 but the truck would fit pretty much any 3 car seats as it is wide. I believe these are the last seats they will need.

Thanks for the suggestions. I browsed briefly in Target. Basically I want a seat the size of a regular high back booster but with a five point harness But some of these look like they could fit. I have a Lexus SUV so my car is decent sized, but I am limited in space with the two big car seats I already have. And I don't want shuffle seats around for this, as this seat would only be used on occasion for now.

I am not really in any rush, but I will keep these options in mind for sure!