Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overweight 3 yo - need help (long)

Default Overweight 3 yo - need help (long)

OK, so DD is officially overweight. I am crushed because I have vowed never to let my kids get overweight. I need to figure out a Dr visit for her (I will probably try to see our old pedi when we go to FL in 3 weeks). Every time she had a pedi appt, her BMI was on the high end of the normal range. And every time our pedi assured me that she is not overweight. I checked the CDC calculator today and her BMI is in the 91st percentile (BMI 17.4, she is 36 lbs 12 oz, 38.5 inches). I have discussed this with our pedi every visit because she looks a tad chubby. So it is not like she is all muscle.

Until I can see a pedi, what can I do?

I have no idea how many calories she consumes in a day - I will keep a food diary and figure that out. But here is what she might eat on a typical day:

Breakfast - 1 or 2 scrambled eggs, 2-3 oz of homemade sausage (basically just plain organic, low fat pork with salt & pepper), 1 TBSP of ketchup, 1/4-1/2 cup of coconut milk (sweetened - contains 8 g of sugar per cup, 80 calories per cup), 1/4 - 1/2 of plain gluten free toast

Lunch - egg sandwich (1 - 2 slices of gluten free toast, she usually does not eat all the bread, so it is closer to 1 slice, 1 egg, mayo - enough to cover the bread), 3-4 baby carrots, a couple of tomato slices

Dinner - meat (may be 1 chicken drumstick or 2 chicken wings or 2-3 oz of salmon or a 2 oz of lean beef), 1/2 corn on the cob, 2-3 pieces of steamed broccoli

Snack (two a day) - corn chips (I have not monitored the amount) or a larabar, or an apple, or 2-3 TBSP of cashew butter with 1/2 TBSP of honey, or nuts (I have not monitored the amount, I am guessing 1/4-1/2 cup, she likes pecans and cashews - plain, raw, no oil or salt added), or a smoothie (1/2 cup blueberries + 1/2 banana - no sweeteners added, just water)

I really do not see much space to cut calories, maybe offer just smaller portions of meat or nuts. She drinks water or coconut milk the rest of the day. She does not drink more than 1 cup of coconut milk a day. We do not drink juices. Sweets are a super rare treat. I cannot remember last she had a cookie beyond the larabar. I rarely bake and if I do, it is pretty low in sugar, grain free paleo style baking.

Exercise ...
    1-2 a week 45 minute PE class
    1-2 a week 45-60 minutes of swimming (she does swim a lot, she is in water that is too deep for her so she swims and dives, no floaties)
    when it is nice outside, she spends time playing in the yard and swinging or playing in the snow - nothing too strenuous, just playing
    once a week some kind of other physical activity - open gym at gymnastics, bounce house play place, playground, riding a bike (with training wheels so it is slow going)

On the cold rainy days (like today) ... we could do better, I really do not do much in terms of exercise in the house. Some suggestions would be great.

I also worry think that it may be her thyroid. Her levels were above normal per 1 pedi (TSH little over 3 first blood test, 2.8 a couple of months later after diet changes). One pedi who practices integrative medicine (she is an MD) thinks that is too high, our regular pedi is not too concerned. I am hypothyroid and struggle with weight.
    Last edited by impatient; 03-03-2014 at 01:26 PM.

That seems like a lot of food for a 3 yo to me.

Does she eat the whole Larabar? I can barely do that. They have TONS of sugar as the main ingredient is dates. Most are 190-220 calories and 20+g sugar.

"2-3 TBSP of cashew butter with 1/2 TBSP of honey" That's a lot of calories too.

Just because it's healthy food, too much is too much. KWIM?
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

The only thing it sounds like you could remove from that diet is the sausage at breakfast. It sounds to me like it's an issue with a slower metabolism. She sounds pretty active, too. I'm not sure what to tell you.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

2-3 eggs a day, and the amount of nuts she's eating is quite a bit of fat for her age. Healthy fat, but fat all the same. Her diet does appear healthy, but that is where I would begin. I do not support putting young children on diets. And I know that's not what you're really planning, I just wanted to throw that out there.

That said, our integrative medicine doctor gave me a "Kids Formula for Good Health" publication two weeks ago. For children BMI is no better of a tool than it is for adults and should only be used as one indicator of health. He is a well published MD and says a BMI below the 95th % wouldn't ever register as being of concern if the rest of these are being met:
    0 sweetened drinks-juices, milks, etc.
    1 hour of active play/exercise a day
    2 hours or less screen time of any nature
    5 fruits and veggies/day
    20 minutes of quiet/down time to unwind/day

He told DH and I to always look at those WITH the 95% or below BMI, and never that one on its own.

We have an almost 4y/o so I'm using her as a frame of reference (she has an ample appetite, but is around the 50th% in height and weight) .

I think the amounts she's eating are fine and her caloric intake is good, but in our home, that would be *a lot* of saturated fats (eggs, dark or red meat, corn chips, nuts/nut butters (except almond and seed butters), and coconut oil). I would personally switch out some of the fats for mono or poly-unsaturated fats and switch to all lean meats.

Some healthier snack choices might be nonfat greek yogurt (coconut or rice based if dairy is a no-no), fresh veggies or fruit (apples/bananas) with almond butter, and rice cakes w/ hummus. I would definitely limit the corn chips to a serving (corn is rough on blood sugar levels anyway which can be an issue for those with thyroid issues or other weight concerns). Popcorn with olive oil would be a better substitute in general, but serve it with something high in protein like sunbutter on celery to keep the blood sugar levels stable.

Her activity level looks great! My oldest DD (almost 18) plays "Simon Says", hide and seek, twister, etc...with the little ones on days we can't go outside, lol, she really gets my kiddos moving too! Pinterest is full of fun indoor exercise ideas for kids...something to check out maybe.

Eta...thyroid issues are unusual in young children, but I would watch it. My 14y/o dd has one AI issue already (vitiligo) and she has a BMI that puts her in the "overweight" category and her pedi recommends yearly thyroid testing. She eats healthfully and gets regular exercise (walks 40-60mins every day on the treadmill). I'm considering having her cortisol and adrenal hormones tested.
    Last edited by kellyowens; 03-03-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

My only thought is if there is some kind of activity you can do with her inside on days when weather sucks and it's not swimming or PE? Especially given you are trying to lose as well. Like maybe a dance party....put on whatever music the family listens to and just dance around to it?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

That's A LOT of food! She eats more for breakfast than I could. DD is 4, 40" tall, 33 lbs. and eats the following for breakfast - 1/4 cup of Cheerios with 1/2 cup of milk (won't finish milk), 1/2 cup of fruits, and some days, 1/2 an egg (every once in a while, a whole egg). If she eats a waffle, she will only eat the waffle, a little whipped cream, and fruit.

In your shoes, I'd do a lot of substitution of veggies and fruits for the meat and other high calorie items. No chips, no bars, just fruits (berries are lower calorie) and the "better" nuts. Maybe use unsweetened almond milk instead of coconut milk, and add sweeteners yourself, if necessary. Even among vegetables, you can try substituting lower calorie items (Zucchini, Squash, Spinach, Kale, etc.) instead of something like corn.

I don't have time to fully respond or read the other responses but I noticed a lot of fats in your list. I would try to limit that and replace with some kind of vegetables? I didn't notice a lot of those on the list either. Does she like vegetables? They don't have to be the traditional kind like spinach and broccoli but what about baby carrots, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. My kids love salad and love veggies with "dip" which is just creamy salad dressing or a sour cream based dip.

I would also try to get her to do a daily exercise - 20 mins of walking or running, dancing, etc....
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I would try to up the exercise instead of dealing with her diet if she is otherwise healthy. Of course, I'm referring to fun exercise--outside running and playing, dancing indoors, etc. My boys need at least one hour of active play/exercise time every day, and they get more most days. I would try to ensure she's very active for at least an hour every day.

Thank you, everyone, for great suggestions. Please keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Geneari View Post
    That seems like a lot of food for a 3 yo to me.

Does she eat the whole Larabar? I can barely do that. They have TONS of sugar as the main ingredient is dates. Most are 190-220 calories and 20+g sugar.

"2-3 TBSP of cashew butter with 1/2 TBSP of honey" That's a lot of calories too.

Just because it's healthy food, too much is too much. KWIM?
    The larabar is just about the only sweet treat around here - I will start breaking it in half as she will polish the whole thing. We buy the peanut/date one and apple pie one but she likes the peanut one better. It is not a daily thing but it is one of her favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksLikeRain View Post
    2-3 eggs a day, and the amount of nuts she's eating is quite a bit of fat for her age. Healthy fat, but fat all the same. Her diet does appear healthy, but that is where I would begin. I do not support putting young children on diets. And I know that's not what you're really planning, I just wanted to throw that out there.

That said, our integrative medicine doctor gave me a "Kids Formula for Good Health" publication two weeks ago. For children BMI is no better of a tool than it is for adults and should only be used as one indicator of health. He is a well published MD and says a BMI below the 95th % wouldn't ever register as being of concern if the rest of these are being met:
    0 sweetened drinks-juices, milks, etc.
    1 hour of active play/exercise a day
    2 hours or less screen time of any nature
    5 fruits and veggies/day
    20 minutes of quiet/down time to unwind/day

He told DH and I to always look at those WITH the 95% or below BMI, and never that one on its own.
    The guidelines from your doctor are very helpful. I will also start serving her just 1 egg at breakfast instead of 2.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    We have an almost 4y/o so I'm using her as a frame of reference (she has an ample appetite, but is around the 50th% in height and weight) .

I think the amounts she's eating are fine and her caloric intake is good, but in our home, that would be *a lot* of saturated fats (eggs, dark or red meat, corn chips, nuts/nut butters (except almond and seed butters), and coconut oil). I would personally switch out some of the fats for mono or poly-unsaturated fats and switch to all lean meats.

Some healthier snack choices might be nonfat greek yogurt (coconut or rice based if dairy is a no-no), fresh veggies or fruit (apples/bananas) with almond butter, and rice cakes w/ hummus. I would definitely limit the corn chips to a serving (corn is rough on blood sugar levels anyway which can be an issue for those with thyroid issues or other weight concerns). Popcorn with olive oil would be a better substitute in general, but serve it with something high in protein like sunbutter on celery to keep the blood sugar levels stable.

Her activity level looks great! My oldest DD (almost 18) plays "Simon Says", hide and seek, twister, etc...with the little ones on days we can't go outside, lol, she really gets my kiddos moving too! Pinterest is full of fun indoor exercise ideas for kids...something to check out maybe.

Eta...thyroid issues are unusual in young children, but I would watch it. My 14y/o dd has one AI issue already (vitiligo) and she has a BMI that puts her in the "overweight" category and her pedi recommends yearly thyroid testing. She eats healthfully and gets regular exercise (walks 40-60mins every day on the treadmill). I'm considering having her cortisol and adrenal hormones tested.
    Great suggestion for Simon Says. My kids love it, we need to play more often. The meats we eat are actually very lean because we buy grass-fed, free range meat except for the dark meat chicken because I do not have a good source for poultry yet. But it is a good reminder. I should cook more seafood because she loves it, especially shrimp. So that would be a healthier option.

I let her have limited dairy but generally do not have it in the house (since the rest of us do not eat it). Basically she will get cheese every now and then. She does not like cow-milk yogurt and the coconut milk one is sweetened. So I am not a huge fan (the kids love it, lol).

Rice cakes are a great suggestion to sub for corn chips. We do popcorn (air popped, no oil) and it is definitely a favorite. DH and I try go without grain but I do not do completely grain-free with kids. And once you cut out the gluten, the chips are generally corn chips .. ugh.

At this point, I have pretty much decided that I will get DD's blood checked for thyroid every couple of years unless things get worse. The integrative medicine pedi checked her thyroid because I brought her in with skin problems (she has very sensitive skin). She was also losing her hair (luckily not thyroid related, she had a fungal infection and her hair is growing back now ) and - of course - the weight. She was born at 5 lbs 14 oz, 19 inches long but once she caught up on her weight, she has always been in 50th % for height and 75% for weight. She was BFed for 20 months (6 months exclusively). It is hard not to compare, but at this age, she is bigger than most children her age we see.

Would it help if I listed what my 3y/o eats??

B-1/2C oatmeal, sprinkling of raisins, 1/4c milk, 1/2T sugar
    Sn- 1pc of fruit
    L- Nutbutter (1T) and Jam (2T) sandwich on 2slices whole grain bread and salad (no dressing)
    Sn- 5oz yogurt or 5 baby carrots w/2T yogurt or hummus dip, or 1/4c "trail mix"
    D- See below
    Sn- Mozarella cheese stick with or without 1/2pc of fruit depending on how hungry she is

Some of last week's dinner examples:
    • 1/2C whole grain elbow noodles, few Tablespoons sauce, 1-2oz cheese, no meat, and 1C steamed green beans w/sunflower seeds
    • 1 whole grain tortilla, 1oz cheese, 1T salsa, lettuce, 1T sour cream, 1/4C refried beans
    • 1/2 whole grain pita stuffed with 2oz Tuna, 2T mayo and pickles
    • 2eggs, 1pc toast w/ butter and cinnamon-sugar
    • Home-made whole grain pizza (she eats slices).
    • meatless chili w/ crackers

LOL, she evidently didn't eat much for veggies last week !

For breakfast we have whole grain pancakes 1x/wk and she eats 2-3 (approx 6in) pancakes with about a tablespoon of nutbutter and 1/2c of applesauce all together .

HHTH !

I would probably skip the chips right off the bat or maybe try a new "chip" instead of corn chips like Apple Straws or Veggie Straws http://www.amazon.com/Sensible-Porti.../dp/B001MUZYWQ ignore that price I get mine from Wal-Mart and Target sells them.
    I would suggest maybe doing eggs with spinach (or other vegetables) and do 1 egg instead of two at her age and maybe a different thing for lunch like
    baked chicken, baked fish salmon IMO has a less "fishy" taste that might appeal to kids more and the cool pink color is fun too add more vegetables, fruits,
    etc. First things first though maybe the pediatrician once you see him can refer you to a dietitian to help you with more specific specialized guidelines
    for children her age. I agree with the others too low-fat but, high protein like Greek yogurt is also a great idea. I would say work on it but, don't worry
    a lot until you talk with the pediatrician I am not trying to trivialize this at all whatsoever though.
    *** Lindsay ***

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    I don't have time to fully respond or read the other responses but I noticed a lot of fats in your list. I would try to limit that and replace with some kind of vegetables? I didn't notice a lot of those on the list either. Does she like vegetables? They don't have to be the traditional kind like spinach and broccoli but what about baby carrots, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. My kids love salad and love veggies with "dip" which is just creamy salad dressing or a sour cream based dip.

I would also try to get her to do a daily exercise - 20 mins of walking or running, dancing, etc....
    She has veggies every day - her favorites are baby carrots, sweet peas and tomatoes (she eats them like apples). As far as cooked veggies are concerned, she likes broccoli and carrots. Right now she is having chili for lunch - home made, lots of tomatoes and beans. She does not care for leafy stuff (I have started making smoothies again so I will start sneaking that in). Fruits are a different story, she loves them - usually we have them for snacks in between meals (strawberries, cantaloupe, tangerines and bananas are favorite). I listed an apple for snack but I guess I should have said "fruit".

Would it help if I listed what my 3y/o eats??

B-1/2C oatmeal, sprinkling of raisins, 1/4c milk, 1/2T sugar
    Sn- 1pc of fruit
    L- Nutbutter (1T) and Jam (2T) sandwich on 2slices whole grain bread and salad (no dressing)
    Sn- 5oz yogurt or 5 baby carrots w/2T yogurt or hummus dip, or 1/4c "trail mix"
    D- See below
    Sn- Mozarella cheese stick with or without 1/2pc of fruit depending on how hungry she is

Some of last week's dinner examples:
    • 1/2C whole grain elbow noodles, few Tablespoons sauce, 1-2oz cheese, no meat, and 1C steamed green beans w/sunflower seeds
    • 1 whole grain tortilla, 1oz cheese, 1T salsa, lettuce, 1T sour cream, 1/4C refried beans
    • 1/2 whole grain pita stuffed with 2oz Tuna, 2T mayo and pickles
    • 2eggs, 1pc toast w/ butter and cinnamon-sugar
    • Home-made whole grain pizza (she eats slices).
    • meatless chili w/ crackers
    LOL, she evidently didn't eat much for veggies last week !

For breakfast we have whole grain pancakes 1x/wk and she eats 2-3 (approx 6in) pancakes with about a tablespoon of nutbutter and 1/2c of applesauce all together .

HHTH !
    Thank you, that is a good reference in regards to amounts. My DS has a good appetite but, of course, he is a bouncing off the walls string bean so he is not a great point of reference. He also has a very high need for animal protein (eggs & meat). If he had a day like you described (and I think the food your 3 yo ate is very healthy), he would be a whiny, irritable mess. But obviously while what I am doing is working for DS, it is not working for DD.

Thank you for the hugs.
    Last edited by impatient; 03-03-2014 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by impatient View Post
    Thank you, that is a good reference in regards to amounts. My DS has a good appetite but, of course, he is a bouncing off the walls string bean so he is not a great point of reference. He also has a very high need for animal protein (eggs & meat). If he had a day like you described (and I think the food your 3 yo ate is very healthy), he would be a whiny, irritable mess. But obviously while what I am doing is working for DS, it is not working for DD.

Thank you for the hugs.
    My ds is like that too...high metabolism, stringy, and needs a heavy protein, high caloric intake or he gets hyper and then crashes (low blood sugar)...so he gets more meat, nuts/nutbutters, etc...than everyone else (lol, I hear "awww, luuuckyyy" a lot from the other kids ).

My ds is like that too...high metabolism, stringy, and needs a heavy protein, high caloric intake or he gets hyper and then crashes (low blood sugar)...so he gets more meat, nuts/nutbutters, etc...than everyone else (lol, I hear "awww, luuuckyyy" a lot from the other kids ).
    I see you can relate

I also wanted to add (more for clarification than anything else) that I do not subscribe to the theory that animal fat and other saturated fats (like coconut oil) are bad. I have basically been striving for low sugar, grain free diet for 2 years now, I often fall off the wagon and my big (personal) problem is portion control. So weight loss has been a struggle for me ... but my blood work has improved drastically over the last 2 years, especially my triglycerides and cholesterol levels. It is night and day and even at my heaviest, my blood work looks waaaay better than what it did pre-kids when I was 30-50 lbs lighter.

But I do think that DD is consuming too many calories so that is why I am looking for better options for her. About an hour ago she asked for cashew butter with honey (she just ate about 1/4 cantaloupe and 1/2 cup of chili shortly before for lunch). I told her she could get more chili, cantaloupe, apple, banana, blueberries, carrots or peas. She opted for neither. So she obviously is not that hungry. Maybe I need to stick to fruit/veggie snacks only and have the calorie dense foods at meal times.

Your dd has a very good appetite! I find it hard not to admire it because my 4 yo seems to live on air sometimes. I think her diet sounds great for the most part, though I agree with pp that you could make simple substitutions for the chips, bars and some of the nuts. I agree that rice cakes and popcorn would be good subs for the chips and nuts. I'm wondering if the gluten-free bread is higher in simple carbs than is, say, whole-wheat bread. Is it made with rice flour or something like that? I don't have a lot of experience with gluten-free baking, but complex whole grains are digested more slowly and don't impact blood sugar/insulin and fat storage the same way, right? Just a thought, if you can switch up the type of toast she eats.
    Re: eggs, it's the yolk of the egg that contains fat and cholesterol - the white is just protein. You could always scramble two eggs for her, but save out one yolk (so you end up scrambling one yolk, two whites). You might be able to use the yolk in a dish for your stringy ds! That's what we did last year when I had to limit egg yolks but needed the protein -- I scrambled just the yolks or made them into custard for my skinny little kid, and I ate mostly whites with one yolk thrown in for color/flavor.

Saying all of that, though, I also agree with pp that the idea of limiting calories in a preschooler's diet (past the obvious, of course, since she obviously eats very wholesome foods) is a bit fraught. As for indoor exercise ideas, we also do a lot of dancing. Also games like musical chairs, pretending the floor is lava (throw pillows down to jump on), bean bag toss. We also do yoga together with youtube videos (there are lots specifically for kids).
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Katrina: is she hungry and wanting all the food or do you serve it to her and she eats it? My 4 year old has days when he eats like what you describe and days when he will eat half of it and he is very athletic, really good muscular structure and a very healthy look - I think last I checked his BMI is 50-60%.

I personally serve small portions and if they ask for more, I give them. I also notice a lot of nuts and coconut milk on top which are very very high in saturated fat. Her activity level seems decent but way lower than my 4 year old who overall eats less than that (as I said he will eat that much on some days but less on others). My 4 year old is also very shaped up - you can literally see muscles bulging on his arms and thighs because he looooooves to run, jump, climb and people often ask me if he is on gymnastics team or something... Even when we are home, he is active and finding physical things to do (mostly unsafe ones but that's a different story).

So based on that, my guess is that it is not as much thyroid as much as habits. You probably give her generous portions of very nutritionally dense foods out of habit since her brother is skinny and active and just like DS1 needs a lot of animal protein (your son sounds like DS1). But she is different and it seems that she eats very high calorie diet but does an average amount (a good one but not too much) of exercise. I like the idea of more veggies, less chips, eggs and maybe less nuts.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

We posted at the same time. I personally swear by animal fat and saturated fat; I think they are FANTASTIC for weight loss, glowing skin and hair, hormonal balance, proper brain function, good moods. People on low fat diets often face problems with sugar levels, hormonal imbalance, mood swings, hair loss and dull skin in the long run. I did not mean that you should keep those out of her diet. NOT AT ALL. I think you should just reduce them and her calories overall because to me her calorie intake is more than her activity level, although she is active; but I think you know what I mean, some children are very very active -- sounds like your son is one of those -- both my boys are very active with DS2 being more so.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    Your dd has a very good appetite! I find it hard not to admire it because my 4 yo seems to live on air sometimes. I think her diet sounds great for the most part, though I agree with pp that you could make simple substitutions for the chips, bars and some of the nuts. I agree that rice cakes and popcorn would be good subs for the chips and nuts. I'm wondering if the gluten-free bread is higher in simple carbs than is, say, whole-wheat bread. Is it made with rice flour or something like that? I don't have a lot of experience with gluten-free baking, but complex whole grains are digested more slowly and don't impact blood sugar/insulin and fat storage the same way, right? Just a thought, if you can switch up the type of toast she eats.
    Re: eggs, it's the yolk of the egg that contains fat and cholesterol - the white is just protein. You could always scramble two eggs for her, but save out one yolk (so you end up scrambling one yolk, two whites). You might be able to use the yolk in a dish for your stringy ds! That's what we did last year when I had to limit egg yolks but needed the protein -- I scrambled just the yolks or made them into custard for my skinny little kid, and I ate mostly whites with one yolk thrown in for color/flavor.

Saying all of that, though, I also agree with pp that the idea of limiting calories in a preschooler's diet (past the obvious, of course, since she obviously eats very wholesome foods) is a bit fraught. As for indoor exercise ideas, we also do a lot of dancing. Also games like musical chairs, pretending the floor is lava (throw pillows down to jump on), bean bag toss. We also do yoga together with youtube videos (there are lots specifically for kids).

Great idea regarding scrambling 2 eggs but just 1 egg yolk! Genius! She only eats the egg white when I hard-boil the eggs but, of course, I scramble the whole thing.

Also a good point about the bread - I never thought of that. I bet it has a much higher glycemic index because the first few ingredients are water, potato extract, oil, rice starch, rice flour, etc. So other than the seeds added, no whole grains. Now that we are settled, I have been meaning to get back to baking bread and it has not happened. I make it with whole grain (I mill my own flour) so I really need to get on that. Thank you for bringing that up.

I will look up yoga videos - I know she would like doing that together. Do you have any favorites you can post a link to?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tanyachap View Post
    Katrina: is she hungry and wanting all the food or do you serve it to her and she eats it? My 4 year old has days when he eats like what you describe and days when he will eat half of it and he is very athletic, really good muscular structure and a very healthy look - I think last I checked his BMI is 50-60%.

I personally serve small portions and if they ask for more, I give them. I also notice a lot of nuts and coconut milk on top which are very very high in saturated fat. Her activity level seems decent but way lower than my 4 year old who overall eats less than that (as I said he will eat that much on some days but less on others). My 4 year old is also very shaped up - you can literally see muscles bulging on his arms and thighs because he looooooves to run, jump, climb and people often ask me if he is on gymnastics team or something... Even when we are home, he is active and finding physical things to do (mostly unsafe ones but that's a different story).

So based on that, my guess is that it is not as much thyroid as much as habits. You probably give her generous portions of very nutritionally dense foods out of habit since her brother is skinny and active and just like DS1 needs a lot of animal protein (your son sounds like DS1). But she is different and it seems that she eats very high calorie diet but does an average amount (a good one but not too much) of exercise. I like the idea of more veggies, less chips, eggs and maybe less nuts.
    I serve her as much and never gave it another thought because she eats it ... oy! ... I think smaller portions and giving seconds is a better option. And I sure hope that you are totally right about habits vs. thyroid, habits are easier to change.

I guess it is just another one of those parenting moments of adjusting to two totally different children. DS prefers to run and jump while she would rather sit and color and paint. So her nature is "slower" than DS too.

We posted at the same time. I personally swear by animal fat and saturated fat; I think they are FANTASTIC for weight loss, glowing skin and hair, hormonal balance, proper brain function, good moods. People on low fat diets often face problems with sugar levels, hormonal imbalance, mood swings, hair loss and dull skin in the long run. I did not mean that you should keep those out of her diet. NOT AT ALL. I think you should just reduce them and her calories overall because to me her calorie intake is more than her activity level, although she is active; but I think you know what I mean, some children are very very active -- sounds like your son is one of those -- both my boys are very active with DS2 being more so.
    ^^^Ita

Oh, I was just posting that so that everyone would understand where I am coming from. I know that a lot of people still would look at our diet and think we are nuts (no cereal, no skim milk, etc.) so I wanted to clarify that. I had a Dr appointment recently to get established with a new Dr and the nurse practitioner (while very nice and gentle about my weight) handed me sheet with diet recommendations that I thought were awful (such as using canola oil and not coconut oil, using artificial sweeteners, etc.). So if that is still the mainstream dietary advice, our diet must look terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by impatient View Post
    Oh, I was just posting that so that everyone would understand where I am coming from. I know that a lot of people still would look at our diet and think we are nuts (no cereal, no skim milk, etc.) so I wanted to clarify that. I had a Dr appointment recently to get established with a new Dr and the nurse practitioner (while very nice and gentle about my weight) handed me sheet with diet recommendations that I thought were awful (such as using canola oil and not coconut oil, using artificial sweeteners, etc.). So if that is still the mainstream dietary advice, our diet must look terrible.
    I think all your food are great! And unfortunately that is the mainstream idea of healthy--though I think we are scratching at the surface of changing, it's hard to tell sometimes. As long as people think "diet" stuff is really helping them, companies will keep trying to profit from it.

Also I feel for you DD, women just can't eat as much as men. When I first started dating my husband I would match his eating and I gained like crazy, that was a hard lesson and readjustment!!

Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

With some of it - like the eggs - you can make small caloric changes. E.g., use one whole egg and two egg white, which would save, i think, about 80 calories. (But there's good stuff in there, too, so you do lose the benefits, as well.) Add vegetables to make the meal more filling and try a mild salsa instead of the ketchup with has sugars. Ditch the mayonnaise completely. Try canadian bacon or thin slices of ham instead of the sausage.

IMO, if you're concerned about weight and eating, regardless of the bmi issue, you might consult a nutritionist. Find one that works with children and, if possible, someone who specializes in your family's dietary restrictions. They would be able to tell you where the overages are - but more importantly, they can work with you to ensure that in reducing calories, you don't lose the balance that your daughter needs to continue her growth and development. I know that for myself, when I get frantic about my own weight, I tend to cut out too much, causing me to be even hungrier than when I started. At least with a nutritionist, there's a better chance of keeping her satiated while you make these adjustments.

It's hard. I know that I need to do more to give my son better eating habits, too.
    Last edited by ibisgirldc; 03-03-2014 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ibisgirldc View Post
    With some of it - like the eggs - you can make small caloric changes. E.g., use one whole egg and two egg white, which would save, i think, about 80 calories. (But there's good stuff in there, too, so you do lose the benefits, as well.) Add vegetables to make the meal more filling and try a mild salsa instead of the ketchup with has sugars. Ditch the mayonnaise completely. Try canadian bacon or thin slices of ham instead of the sausage.

IMO, if you're concerned about weight and eating, regardless of the bmi issue, you might consult a nutritionist. Find one that works with children and, if possible, someone who specializes in your family's dietary restrictions. They would be able to tell you where the overages are - but more importantly, they can work with you to ensure that in reducing calories, you don't lose the balance that your daughter needs to continue her growth and development. I know that for myself, when I get frantic about my own weight, I tend to cut out too much, causing me to be even hungrier than when I started. At least with a nutritionist, there's a better chance of keeping her satiated while you make these adjustments.

It's hard. I know that I need to do more to give my son better eating habits, too.
    I will switch the ketchup (she eats with scrambled eggs - bad habit, I know) for salsa. She likes salsa, I just never thought to serve it with the eggs (even though I eat eggs with salsa ... lol). We do not buy processed meats and right now I do not have a smoker to make my own ham. So our meat is plain. But we are getting set up for that. We are missing our ham! (Ok ... and bacon too ... hehe)

Good idea to find a nutritionist. I will really need to research if I can find one who is on the same page with us.

After asking for cashew butter with honey a couple of times (and not wanting any fruit or veggies for a snack), I gave her one small spoon of the cashew butter & honey mix. I told her we were getting ready to eat supper and did not want her filled up on snacks (which was true, this was 30-45 minutes before supper). She was getting hungry and asked for her green beans before supper. I often let the kids eat the veggies before we sit down so they would not fill up on other snacks while I am finishing up the meal. She ate some and then had a little bit of lean pork with ketchup. I gave her a much smaller portion of meat than usually and she not ask for seconds. She nibbled on her carrots and sweet peas but did not eat much of those. This is actually typical supper except for the smaller meat portion. She never eats as much as breakfast during lunch or dinner.

I am going to get rice cakes tomorrow to have something in lieu of chips.

I keep coming back to read because originally I thought her diet looks wonderful! You are getting great advice here!

Blog Entries

I agree that the first thing I would do is put less on her plate. We do that with my kids and they are allowed to ask for more of something in particular after they have tried everything on their plate. I also think that fats are very important for health and when you limit them significantly there are health consequences.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD