Thread: What to do with my wheat berries?

Default What to do with my wheat berries?

So I have 100+ pounds of organic hard red wheat berries. I used to use them to make fresh whole wheat flour for bread ... But we since found out that we cannot have gluten (for different reasons for each of us but gluten is out of the picture). What can I do with my wheat? I know I can grow some grass and juice it or throw the grass clippings into a salad but that is a lot of wheat grass juice to drink. I was wondering if anyone knows how to make vinegar out of it. Any other ideas? It may just end up as grass outside one day but I really do not want to waste it. Thanks.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Honestly? I donated my 200 or so pounds of wheat that I had. Wheatgrass should be ok-but if it starts to germinate/seed then you've contaminated any you have growing around and when I've grown wheatgrass in the past I often didn't get all my grass cut in time to avoid the seeds from developing just because of how much of it there was (and I don't do awesome with daily routines like checking on my plants).

On the vinegar-from what I understand, any vinegar you make with the wheat would be malt vinegar. And that is very much on the NO list for gluten free.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Well, that is not the answer I was hoping for ... hehe. That makes sense about the vinegar - I guess I would have to have a distillery to make a distilled vinegar. Oh well. Thanks for your answer! .... When you donated it, were you able to donate grain that was repackaged at home or did you have it in original packaging? I have one bucket the way we bought it but the rest of it is in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers after we repackaged it.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

I donated some to the local food bank but they only could take the unopened. The rest i donated direct through church channels.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter