Thread: clamp-on reading lights

Blog Entries

Default clamp-on reading lights

Both girls like to read/look at books before bed at night. They've been using flashlights but I'd like to get them the type of reading light that clamps on to a headboard. I worry, though, about them getting hot to the touch. Does anyone have something like this for your kids? If so I'd love to hear recommendations!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I have an IKEA clamp-on light for my kids with a flexible neck and an energy-efficient mini-bulb that is deep enough inside that it's not easy to touch and it doesn't get super-hot anyway, although if you wrangle your fingers in there for long enough they could be hurt: http://www.amazon.com/IKEA-Kvart-wal.../dp/B000MJ5O5K

Now that they're scared of the dark, they actually sleep with it on all night long, but it's nice to be able to angle it to or away from one kid to another, or to the book we're reading or up at a corner for a more diffused light. It provides plenty of light for reading, and I change the bulb maybe once a year. Even my little misbehaving maniac doesn't really touch the lamp bulb, although he wiggles the lamp around plenty.

The other thing you could try is LED lights, which don't get hot at all unless you have a whole lot of them in a cluster. The down side is that they usually require batteries or something to convert to a direct current. This is an example: http://www.amazon.com/Fulcrum-Multi-...pr_product_top

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

We've got this one from IKEA for both girls. It is awesome-not too much light but enough for them to read every night with.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I have one like the one from Amazon that Lydia posted and really love it
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

We have several of the ones linked at amazon and they ar great!

Blog Entries

I didn't think of LED lights...those would actually be perfect since I wouldn't have to worry about running cords to outlets. Thanks for the links...I think we'll be ordering either the Ikea ones (they would match the girls' room) or the one from Amazon for Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmom View Post
    Both girls like to read/look at books before bed at night. They've been using led lights but I'd like to get them the type of reading light that clamps on to a headboard. I worry, though, about them getting hot to the touch. Does anyone have something like this for your kids? If so I'd love to hear recommendations!
    Never used clamp lights for kids.. SOrry for posting in old thread but they are very dangerous.. Just use some cool lights for kids..
    Last edited by AlbertVasquez; 06-24-2013 at 01:39 AM.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertVasquez View Post
    Never used clamp lights for kids.. SOrry for posting in old thread but they are very dangerous.. Just use some cool lights for kids..

We have been using the one I posted for a while: http://www.amazon.com/Fulcrum-Multi-...pr_product_top and it doesn't get hot at all, even if it's on for hours. The only down side is that we have to replace batteries every once in a while.

Blog Entries

I actually ended up getting both girls this one that Lydia mentioned: http://www.amazon.com/Fulcrum-Multi-...uct_top...they work great and the girls will take them with us in the car if we're driving after dark and use them to read/color, etc. I've had to replace the batteries on my 3 y/o's a few times but that's b/c she wanted it on at night until she fell asleep, but I just replaced the batteries on my 7 y/o's for the first time this week. They don't get hot and have held up well so far!

I have a similar light for reading on my kindle in the dark. It automatically shuts itself off after about an hour. Erin bought a couple of those stick-up lights you see advertised on tv for Katie. http://www.amazon.com/As-Seen-TV-Sti.../dp/B000GLK6RK They don't get hot, either, and they're not regular glass lightbulbs. They're some kind of plastic or something. We have to replace the batteries frequently because she'll leave it on all the time, but we use rechargeable batteries, so it's not so bad.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!