Thread: Babysitter...

Default Babysitter...

We are in the process of moving...almost done, finally. The new house is great, bigger house, 2 bathrooms, on a cul de sac...the only con is that we are now 35-60 min (depending on traffic) from our only real sitter, MIL.

The cul de sac neighbors are all super friendly and seem to know everything about each other LOL. My SILs family used to own this house so she knows all the neighbors and had no complaints about any of them other than they can be up in your business a bit. 2 houses over from us is a family with a 15 1/2 year old daughter...who wants to babysit.

We are leaning towards trying her out, we have talked to her a couple times...she seems nice and mature for her age. Also like that her family is a house away should she need them.

Would you guys give her a chance? I know I was babysitting at that age...but kids these days are so much different.

I did like that she has a cell phone but it doesn't text, she said her parents wouldn't allow her a texting phone...seems like good people to me LOL.

Thoughts?

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)
    Trying to complete our family...My Ovulation Chart for my LAST try !

My girls are 12 and 14 and both would be great baby sitters, so I would take a chance on a 15yr old. Not all teens are immature and irresponsible You could have her come watch the kids while you are there and get a feel for how the kids react to her. Then maybe just leave for a short time the first couple times she watches them.

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    My girls are 12 and 14 and both would be great baby sitters, so I would take a chance on a 15yr old. Not all teens are immature and irresponsible You could have her come watch the kids while you are there and get a feel for how the kids react to her. Then maybe just leave for a short time the first couple times she watches them.
    ^^^Ita

My dds have done a lot of babysitting...I'd give her a go for sure but I'd probably have her over a few times while I was home to get everyone acclimated. Maybe even have her come a few times per week for an hour during the day for a couple of weeks. You could eventually do a quick trip out to see how she does solo. Then once you're comfortable you could go out without having to worry the whole time or feel like you need to rush back .

Something I have not done is have my girls take first aid/cpr classes....it's on the agenda and I need to make it a priority. I think that would be especially important to me for a non-family member sitter (I know my girls, mom, any of my family who sits for me can...and have...handle a choking situation).
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Thanks guys! She, and my other neighbor...see like I said up in everyone's business LOL, told us that she took and passed the child CPR course or whatever.

I think it is a good idea to have her over a couple times...but the first time we want to actually use her the kids should be in bed so hopefully that will be a pretty easy night LOL.

I would give it a go. Your three oldest all can tell you how it turned out the next day. I was babysitting at 12 so I would think 15 should be fine.

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (6) Isabe11e (5) and C0rbin (3.5) Vio1et (almost 2)

I love that she has a non-texting phone! Lol! That in itself would make me feel better. We tried out a friend's 14 year old and it was awful. She never even changed Lily's diaper. But she was on her phone texting constantly and is very obsessed with FB and boyfriends, etc. Not a good babysitter type. But I don't think it was her age, it was her maturity level and upbringing. I think there are some great 15 year olds out there who would be good sitters.

If you get a good vibe from her, try her out. PP had some good ideas about trial runs. Congrats on your move! Hope this girl works out for you!

I would do it. I would probably hire her first to babysit while I was home - maybe you can tackle a bigger project at home while she watches the kids and go from there.

I think since your kids are almost 5 and 2 1/2 its fine. I think since she also knows CPR it that's a huge plus and since your sister knows the neighborhood its also a huge plus. Maybe you can do 2 hours a time for the first while.

Definitely would give her a try!

I like the non-texting phone too, didn't think they still had those!

I would take a chance on her. Right now the only (paying) babysitter we have is a 22 year old girl. I like her....the kids are alive when I get home.....however, NOTHING is cleaned up AT ALL...but that's a whole other post. I am gone for 3-4 hours and about 30 minutes away when she is here.

However, there is a couple 15 year old girls in my neighborhood that babysit and I want to try them....but only when I'm gone for 1-2 hours and knowing that they're families are only a few minutes away.

Thanks guys! I think we will be trying her out Saturday night.

I would say give her a try. DH's cousin who just turned 14 has been babysitting our older two for a few year, and now that the twins are getting older, he said he will be comfortable watching them as well...

*Kimberly* Mommy to Hayden (7), Alexis (5), Makenzie & Brooke (18m)!
    Looking for some bows for your little one? check us out --> www.sweetnsassycouture.com

I would also give her a try. I would like the fact that her parents are nearby, just in case. I know kids are different these days, but I still think there are 15 year olds who are mature enough to handle it - and 22 year olds I wouldn't trust at all!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)