Thread: C-Section Mommas... TMI question

Default C-Section Mommas... TMI question

So I just had my 3rd (and last) section last Monday the 17th.

We stayed in the hospital until Wed. around lunch and came home -- I was feeling really good beyond the obvious soreness and sleep deprivation lol

Starting on Friday morning, I started getting exceptionally gassy and have had diarrhea and nausea after every meal (and sometimes in between) up until yesterday (I stopped taking any Tylenol or Advil thinking that might be contributing). Yesterday I only had it twice instead of 4, 5 or 6 times throughout the day. Friday evening I felt like total garbage, was congested, full of phlegm, and upset stomach.

Just wondering if anyone else post-sections has had really upset stomachs a few days after and diarrhea?

I've been trying to keep the diet bland now and see if I can get things under control... lol because if recovering from the section isn't enough... the upset stomach/flu type symptoms are a bit much

No experience but congrats on your baby

Did you have this with either of your previous C/S? Are you taking any different meds this time?

I did not experience this with mine, mostly constipated from the meds they gave me....

It kind of sounds like you got a stomach bug while you were there which is just miserable on top of trying to heal from the C/S

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I had those same symptoms a week after I delivered. Turns out I had too much iron in my blood from the supplements and the prenatals. You may need to contact your doctor like soon. Congrats, btw!!!!
    Kerrie Julianne is here!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Did you have this with either of your previous C/S? Are you taking any different meds this time?

I did not experience this with mine, mostly constipated from the meds they gave me....

It kind of sounds like you got a stomach bug while you were there which is just miserable on top of trying to heal from the C/S
    Same here, both C-sections. Hope you feel better soon and congrats on your new addition!
    Me: 29, DH: 29, DS: 2, DD: Born 2/10/11

I never had those issues after any of the four c section I had. I would call, thinking that it is nothing, just to be on the safe side. Congrats on the baby!

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (6) Isabe11e (5) and C0rbin (3.5) Vio1et (almost 2)

I also never had those symptoms after any of my 6 c/s. My first thought would be a stomach virus. are you still taking codiene or other narcotics? They can cause nausea, but maybe not the diarrhea, they usually cause constipation. Did you have a normal BM before leaving the hospital?

Did you get antibiotics during your c/s or recovery? Those can definitely cause diarrhea and nausea. Even several days after stopping or after getting them IV.

I would take a probiotic, it will help your gut get back to normal no matter what the issue was.

I had gas/stomach cramps and a bit of upset when I was still taking my advil/Tylenol with past sections (and have not taken anything stronger than those two meds)... but nothing like this. Just seems to be unshakable, and only just after meals!!

I did get anti-biotics by IV at the start of the section...

I picked up some yogurt with pro-biotics last night at the grocery store, so was hoping that might help a bit -- do you have any other suggestions for probiotics?

Oh, and I also had my tubes tied this section as well -- so not sure if that would add anything into the mix.

Oh and yes I had several normal BM's before leaving the hospital...

And I was taking Colace/stool softener for 2-3 days at the beginning of recovery. lol -- almost kinda wish I needed them still a bit

Quote Originally Posted by WishingNat View Post
    I had gas/stomach cramps and a bit of upset when I was still taking my advil/Tylenol with past sections (and have not taken anything stronger than those two meds)... but nothing like this. Just seems to be unshakable, and only just after meals!!

I did get anti-biotics by IV at the start of the section...

I picked up some yogurt with pro-biotics last night at the grocery store, so was hoping that might help a bit -- do you have any other suggestions for probiotics?
    I used Accuflora before (probiotics in pill form, I think I found them in vitamins area). But it said "ask your dr. if you're breastfeeding", in case you are.

Quote Originally Posted by WishingNat View Post
    Oh and yes I had several normal BM's before leaving the hospital...

And I was taking Colace/stool softener for 2-3 days at the beginning of recovery. lol -- almost kinda wish I needed them still a bit
    Totally understand! My kids brought stomach bugs from school this year and I WISHED I was constipated instead...

I would get a capsule form of probiotics, culturelle is good and easy to find.

I have had 2 CS and never had issues like this...I would call your Doc. Congrats on the little one, hope you are feeling better soon

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

Never had a c-section I did want to say antibiotics always make me feel sick but, I would double check with your doctor. Congrats on your baby!!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

On my phone so can't post much but I would contact your doctor. I developed c difficile after mine and it took months of misery and treatment before I was well.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    On my phone so can't post much but I would contact your doctor. I developed c difficile after mine and it took months of misery and treatment before I was well.
    This is what I was concerned about...

The last two days have been much improved -- had two incidents per day vs 3-5... and today so far (knock on wood... but of course I just had my first meal of the day) there's been nothing... AND I had a solid BM this morning... *sighs... always TMI*

I'm desperately hoping that this is passing!!! As all of us C-section moms know, its so hard not to feel yourself, and be limited in your activities while recovering... plus looking after baby, plus looking after other children... that having something besides the incision recovery is super tough!!!