Thread: Questions about painful mestruation.. Wondering if this is normal?

Question Questions about painful mestruation.. Wondering if this is normal?

To start off: I ended up having to have a c-section. My doctor didn't feel comfortable with my previous OB's choice of wanting me to do a VBAC, and I'm glad I didn't go through with it. During delivery, there was a massive amount of damage done to my uterus - lots of tears and it was very transparent. The only thing that was holding the baby in was the amniotic sac. My doctor said that was very unusual. He compared the transparency to looking through a clean window. So, obviously, he had to do a lot of repairs. Well, a couple of weeks ago, I started exercising and started a dance class. I went to the class on Tuesday evening and, when I woke up yesterday morning, the lower left part of my stomach was aching so bad. So I took a couple of Tylenol and started my day. I thought it was just a pulled muscle. As my day went on, the pain got so much worse, and I couldn't lay down or sit down. My stomach was also starting to swell. Ice helped a little. Then, around 8 last night, I had to use the restroom, and the pain became so intense until I realized I was bleeding. Kinda freaked me out. With all that damage and repair that was done, is it normal for my periods to now be painful? They always used to hurt, but never like this.
    Kerrie Julianne is here!!

based on your history you should check with your dr just to make sure. I used to have painful periods and when I finally talked to my dr about it she suggested a bc pill that helps to decrease the cramps.
    given that you have a history... I would definitely talk to my dr about it.

I would double check with your doctor to be sure.

as said above, because it's not normal for you specifically, check with your ob/gyn. But yes, that can happen. The day before and/or first day is usually awful for me. i pop aleve like it's candy. back in HS, I used to have to stay home a whole day with a heating pad and anaprox b/c I'd be doubled over...

I would check with your Dr. to make sure there's nothing else.

I had the same experience after my first delivery, which ended in CS. My first several periods were AWFUL, much more painful/crampy than before pregnancy, but I thought it was normal after having a baby. It wasn't until some months later, after I requested surgery reports from the hospital (after someone on APA recommended it!), that I learned I had several radial tears and extensive cervical repair was done after the CS - my OB wasn't there for the delivery and didn't mention anything to me when I came for post-partum checkups. My periods eventually got somewhat better, though, but it took a while.
    Me: 29, DH: 29, DS: 2, DD: Born 2/10/11

Blog Entries

I would definitely let your OB know about the change in your periods simply because of the extensive repair that was necessary.

That being said, I routinely missed up to three days of work or school for every menstrual cycle before I had children. I took narcotic pain killers or three tylenol (I'm allergic to everything else) and tried all sorts of BC and nothing helped. My periods were way worse than labor. So, my periods (though not many) have been better post kids. I've had all vaginal births thus far, though.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

I have had extremely painful periods that caused me to be non functional at certain times in my life, both before and after my c-sections with no known cause. So it can be "normal". But I think since its the first time for you, it would be good to get checked out. I had the same c/s experience with my 5th baby, but it did not cause lasting pain, so that isn't necessarily the cause.

Is you siggy correct? Your baby is 2m old? So this is your first PP cycle? Some people find that one to be the hardest, so they may get better. Hormones take awhile to get regulated, and it is possible having your first period so soon after delivery your uterus isn't completely healed yet. If you aren't bleeding heavily it is even possible this is still post partum bleeding rather than a period, especially if you are nursing. So don't dispair it will be this way forever more! It might get better over time. And maybe its a one time thing!

if you want to look it up, btw, it's called dysmenorrhea: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003150.htm

I agree, that while the first PP AF is usually pretty bad, it's definitely worth calling your doctor just to make sure.
    Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    I have had extremely painful periods that caused me to be non functional at certain times in my life, both before and after my c-sections with no known cause. So it can be "normal". But I think since its the first time for you, it would be good to get checked out. I had the same c/s experience with my 5th baby, but it did not cause lasting pain, so that isn't necessarily the cause.

Is you siggy correct? Your baby is 2m old? So this is your first PP cycle? Some people find that one to be the hardest, so they may get better. Hormones take awhile to get regulated, and it is possible having your first period so soon after delivery your uterus isn't completely healed yet. If you aren't bleeding heavily it is even possible this is still post partum bleeding rather than a period, especially if you are nursing. So don't dispair it will be this way forever more! It might get better over time. And maybe its a one time thing!
    I agree with this if your baby is only 2 months old and this is your first cycle is might be really rough for the first cycle.

I have had dysmenorrhea for as long as I can remember. But it has never been this bad. Pain has subsided though in my side, but it has moved to my back. The cramps, at first, felt worse than labor contractions. A heating pad and hot bath have helped a lot. The bleeding started out very heavy, and is starting to slow down. Yes, my new little one is almost 3 months old. I did have the Implanon injected at 8 weeks PP. So maybe that could be a cause? Hmm...
    Kerrie Julianne is here!!