Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Names of Places for Names

Default Names of Places for Names

Just wondering what everyone thinks of children's names like : Ireland, London, and most recently North for kids? I sort of like the names like Ireland, London, Georgia but not North!!! North West how original?!

I like some of the names: Denver, Austin, Charlotte, Georgia, Carolina...but some are just too far out there for my taste (North West is a great example!). To each his own, I suppose!

I do like some of them...spelled properly, but some are just too out there for me.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

I agree. I like some of them. Savannah is one I like. But yeah, not every place should also become a baby name. lol

My daughter's name is Dallas. I love it Nothing to do with Texas or the Cowboys lol. But North West is definitely out there. I just can't believe anyone in their right mind would name their kid North West. Seems like the movie stars/famous people are in a competition who can come up with the most ridiculous names. There was one woman, ahhh I can't remember her name Shannon something or something Shannon, anyway named her kid Radio Science! She's Heath Ledger's love interest on A Knight's Tale
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

I think some of them can be fine. I like Savannah, Georgia, Austin and some others. But overall, I'm more into traditional names.

I love place names as names. My two boys have surnames for first names, and I'm pretty sure they are town names as well. I know that there is a Cash, Arkansas.

My sister's last name can be made into silly combos like North West. She used to joke about naming her kids some of those names (she actually considered Harrison for her son, but Harry _______ would have been a tough one for him as he got holder and would inevitable be called that. So to me it is a bit of a ridiculous name because it is just like all of the ones we joked about for her kids.

I agree that some place names are cute, and some really shouldn't be used. And some I think it does depend on the last name and how they go together.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Like a commentator said in an article on the subject, at least they didn't name the baby Knorth.

Some names aren't after places per se; they're simply names. (The places, in fact, may be named after people) But picking something totally wacky for the sake of being wacky? I wouldn't get someone naming their kid Springfield or Peoria.

Quote Originally Posted by preciousnd98 View Post
    My sister's last name can be made into silly combos like North West. She used to joke about naming her kids some of those names (she actually considered Harrison for her son, but Harry _______ would have been a tough one for him as he got holder and would inevitable be called that. So to me it is a bit of a ridiculous name because it is just like all of the ones we joked about for her kids.

I agree that some place names are cute, and some really shouldn't be used. And some I think it does depend on the last name and how they go together.
    Hahaha we love Harrison...it would be in our top 2 if not for our last name. Would have been like naming our kid Harry Junk LOL.

I'm not a fan, but I'm all about naming after someone I feel is important.

Quote Originally Posted by TripMomma View Post
    Hahaha we love Harrison...it would be in our top 2 if not for our last name. Would have been like naming our kid Harry Junk LOL.
    our last name sounds like "goff" when we were running names at TG when I was pregnant with my oldest we were considering John, which is my dad's name. Someone suggested Jack as a nick name. I said No! But DH's grandmother had to say it aloud to "get it" it was pretty funny hearing her say that in front of everyone at TG dinner.

I guess some are OK, but overall - not a fan

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    our last name sounds like "goff" when we were running names at TG when I was pregnant with my oldest we were considering John, which is my dad's name. Someone suggested Jack as a nick name. I said No! But DH's grandmother had to say it aloud to "get it" it was pretty funny hearing her say that in front of everyone at TG dinner.
    LOL yeah, that would have been bad

Not a huge fan of most but I do like Charlotte. But it does depend on the last name. A few I loved before my DH are out the door because it's too much with our name....it's an Sch last name and a strong shh sound that makes an otherwise good name into a tongue twister. We too like longer traditional names.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

HAHA! Knorth. That just cracked me up!
    Me (28) DH (32) DSD (9) DD (born 12/22/13)

oh, what i definitely hate about geographic names: when they're the place where the child was conceived. Or at least, if that's the story, keep it to yourself. please. I really don't want to know that your kid, named cape cod or sealy or backseat, is a constant reminder of your coitus.

Quote Originally Posted by TripMomma View Post
    Haha! It is so bizarre how many factors come in to naming a child. Our last name ends in -er, so basically all first names that end the same were out because it sounds too sing-songy for me. We didn't really have to worry about making a name inappropriate. Although at one point, for personal reasons, I VERY briefly considered the name Dixon for a boy. Like a split second until I realized the natural nickname for it...

Blog Entries

We named Madison after Madison, WI...a fun place to visit. But she was NOT conceived there...we just have lots of good memories of leisurely weekends in that city. Ali's real name is Alexandria, for the Alexandria in Egypt and particularly the Royal Library of Alexandria. We haven't decided on a name for baby boy yet, and I'm not sure if we'll keep the city theme going or not. I really like Austin but DH isn't so keen on it.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

I think it depends on the specific name, but overall I'm into more traditional names. Semi related, but my dad used to have a coworker whose last name was Potter, and they named their son Harrison...so he's Harry Potter, yeah...lol. However, he was born like 6 or 7 years before the first book even came out so it was totally unrelated. Poor kid.
    Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by Adhafera View Post
    I think it depends on the specific name, but overall I'm into more traditional names. Semi related, but my dad used to have a coworker whose last name was Potter, and they named their son Harrison...so he's Harry Potter, yeah...lol. However, he was born like 6 or 7 years before the first book even came out so it was totally unrelated. Poor kid.
    There was a guy in junior high first name Jack last name Ashley people mocked that one too! Calling him Jack a$$. Later on though he was popular.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmom View Post
    We named Madison after Madison, WI...a fun place to visit. But she was NOT conceived there...we just have lots of good memories of leisurely weekends in that city. Ali's real name is Alexandria, for the Alexandria in Egypt and particularly the Royal Library of Alexandria. We haven't decided on a name for baby boy yet, and I'm not sure if we'll keep the city theme going or not. I really like Austin but DH isn't so keen on it.
    I didn't even think of Madison , WI when I've heard the name Madison. I just think its a girl's name.

I went to school with a girl name Tequilla. I'm not even kidding. How terrible is that? And my dad went to school with a guy named Shirley Boy. Seriously. Ugh.
    Me (28) DH (32) DSD (9) DD (born 12/22/13)

Quote Originally Posted by KayDub View Post
    I went to school with a girl name Tequilla. I'm not even kidding. How terrible is that? And my dad went to school with a guy named Shirley Boy. Seriously. Ugh.
    Tequilla wow that's a new one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hotpinkmomma0811 View Post
    Tequilla wow that's a new one for me.
    Makes naming one's kid "Nooyourke" look like a genius move.

I saw in regards to North West--we should just be glad Brad Pitt didn't name his child Arm

I saw in regards to North West--we should just be glad Brad Pitt didn't name his child Arm

That's the thing, in my eyes there are names that started out as name-names, then there just happen to be cities/states/countries named after them/similarly/whatever... then there are the names that are quite obviously after places that weren't ever really people-names before, KWIM? I'm fine with Savannah, but I don't think of Savannah Georgia when I hear that name - I think of the wild African safari type actually Austin and Georgia (both the state and the country) also are names I just see as names, not as place-names. Dallas is a little iffy, but to each their own, and I know of a few people named that... but if someone wanted to name their kid Sacramento or something... I dunno, it's just not for me in that case.
    Miriam (26) Mark (28) #1 on the way, due 1-5-2014, and it's a girl! FF/Temps

Or Peach!

We kind of fell into this. With DD I picked Sydney. THat is what my mom wanted to name me. With my son, I let DH pick and he went with Austin. We met in Austin and attended university there. So if we have a 3rd, I don't know if we will stick with the city name trend. I agree with traditional spelling.