Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too young for Disney?

Question Too young for Disney?

DD will be 2 Saturday. We are contemplating going to Disney in September to take advantage of the free dining plans. Too young?
    Phoebe Grace 6-22-11; 37.5" and 26.2# at 2 years old! She is my wild child!
    Me & Geoff, 40; DD Phoebe, our June Bug

Personally I think so but everyone is different. It also depends on how far and how expensive the trip will be for you. For us we wont go until DD3 is 4-5 which means out of diapers, done with naps, etc. Don't want to deal with any of that. But it's a far, expensive trip for us.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I think so too in the sense that she will not truly appreciate it but I am sure she will enjoy it. It is not going to hurt her for sure.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

there's lots to do and see, even for little ones. But I personally wouldnt do disney with a 2 year old, unless I lived within driving distance and it was a day trip. Flight/hotel plus tickets/food ect, I wouldn't do it unless you and Dh like Disney yourselves and would get a lot of enjoyment being there and experiencing it. September is an awesome time to go, we went in september 2011 with our then 3.5 year old...she loved it, still talks about it, we'll be going back in a year or two... DD2 will be 1.5 or 2.5, im sure she'll find it entertaining (on her own two year old ways) but like every 2 year old, she may skip a nap and have a horrible day, ect, ect unlike say, a 5/6/7 year old who realizes where she is and enjoys every minute!

Personally, yes, too young. I plan to take my kids for the first time when my twins are 8 and oldest is 10. I want them to really be able to enjoy and appreciate it. Like others have mentioned, it's a personal preference. Remembering when my kids were 2, their attention span and tolerance were not that high, so it would probably get old quick. Just my thoughts!
    Julie (Mom of 3)

Quote Originally Posted by futuresoccermom View Post
    there's lots to do and see, even for little ones. But I personally wouldnt do disney with a 2 year old, unless I lived within driving distance and it was a day trip. Flight/hotel plus tickets/food ect, I wouldn't do it unless you and Dh like Disney yourselves and would get a lot of enjoyment being there and experiencing it. September is an awesome time to go, we went in september 2011 with our then 3.5 year old...she loved it, still talks about it, we'll be going back in a year or two... DD2 will be 1.5 or 2.5, im sure she'll find it entertaining (on her own two year old ways) but like every 2 year old, she may skip a nap and have a horrible day, ect, ect unlike say, a 5/6/7 year old who realizes where she is and enjoys every minute!
    ITA. We have taken both kids when they were little because their entrance to the park is free. But we live 30 mins from Disney - I would wait if the visit involved a vacation.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Our girls are 7 and 8 and we are going for the first time in October. We purposely didn't go the last 3 years while we were within an hour of it doing other things in CA because of their ages and most definitely skipped it on purpose when they were 1.5 and 2.5-just too expensive for us to go when they were at ages that would involve more drama than fun/appreciation. Even still, I know in October we're going to have our moments with DD2. We have a vacation home a couple blocks from the park entrance so I can take her and leave as needed.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

We did Disneyland with DS when he was about 2-1/2. The trip was My mom, sister (her two kids 3 & 2) DS and me. All the kids had a blast, and DS remebered all about it when we went about 3 years later with DH, and his parents (DD1 just turned 3 for that trip). For us it's not a super expensive trip since we don't live that far away (Az), and we rent a house from www.vrbo.com and split it three ways, but if it had been more expensive, or further away, I think I would have waited a few more years...

*Kimberly* Mommy to Hayden (7), Alexis (5), Makenzie & Brooke (18m)!
    Looking for some bows for your little one? check us out --> www.sweetnsassycouture.com

I really really really have wanted to go this past year too with a 4 and 2 year old but keep getting talked out of it by family and friends, so I guess I have deferred to their experience since the trip would be far and expensive for us. I still think it would be fun though.
    Me 38, DH 38, DS 5/28/08, DS 7/6/10

I've done disneyland with my older girls when they were that little. There is something for every age, and they are free when they are little so that is a bonus too... However we are within driving distance, so in general its not a ton of money for us...
    Katie~
    DD1 (7) DD2 (4) DS1 (22 months) Baby #4 EDD 7/13/14

We went this year and DS#2 is 2. He had a some moments, but overall we all had a fantastic time. He napped in the stroller and enjoyed most of the rides. We also took DS #1 when he was just 5 months old, so I don't put an age on Disney.
    DS1 4 DS2 2 Expecting 10-13

I grew up less than two hours away from Disney World, so I've been there more times than I can remember. This past Christmas was our year to do Christmas with my family in Florida, and I really wanted to take DS because Mickey Mouse was his favorite thing at the time (now it seems to be Curious George). DS was 2 years, 2 months at the time we went. We took him to the Magic Kingdom only, and it went great! He was a little foggy when we first got there because of the time difference, but he perked up immediately when he saw Chip and Dale. We did the character dining thing, and I'm so glad we did because that was by far his favorite part. He also really loved the Country Bear Jamboree. My parents went with us and watched DS so we could go on my favorite big kid rides too. We have the cutest photos of him doing this happy dance when he met Mickey. Overall, he did great and we had very few tears. He passed out before the night parade started so we missed that but I think he would have enjoyed that too.

However, we went to Disney in December. There is a big difference between going in September and December as far as weather goes. August and September are probably the warmest, most humid months in Florida. Hot weather tends to make DS fussier, so it might have been a different story then. That being said, we had such a great time, we are doing it again ourselves the first week in October this year (he'll be just shy of 3).

Even though I now live in CA, I've never been to Disneyland so I cannot speak to that experience. All my friends who have been to both told me not to go because I would be disappointed how small it is compared to the Magic Kingdom I know I'll go one day, but I wanted my first Disney experience with DS to be where I had so many great memories growing up.
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

We went when DS was 1 - he enjoyed it but of course didn't remember. It was more of a vacation for us anyway.

Went again when DS was 3 and DD 1, DS loved it and still talks about it!

We went to Disneyland in March with DD being a little over 3. She absolutely loved it, but she is totally obsessed with the princesses. There is plenty to do with a toddler, but as others mentioned, a 2 year old probably will have a blast but won't remember much. DD talks about it almost on a daily basis, so it was well worth the trip. I got sick there, and spent half the day in the "Disney Hospital" (I caught the nasty norovirus the night before but we were at a hotel there and so I tried to push on). DD doesn't know it yet, but we are going back around Christmas time - just the 2 of us - when we go back to my parents' house for the holidays

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I went in April with my 2 year old and he loved it. He went on almost every ride in the park, there were only 4 rides that he couldn't go on. Now when I ask him "What do you want to do today?" he says he wants to go to Disney World lol. Also, it was free for him to get in the park (free under 3) so I feel like it was definitely worth it.
    mom of 2 girls and 2 boys... 6,4,2, and 8 months

My youngest daughter turned 2 in January and we went in the beginning of April. She loved it. Obviously she won't remember a thing but she still talks about now occasionally and she loves looking through her autograph book that we did while there.
    Lindsay, DH - Matt and 2DDs

We just got back from Disney with our 2 and 4 year olds. 4 is a great age. 2 is a little young but they get in free...we will wait until ur youngest is at least 4 before we go back. But I wore my 2 year old in the ergo most of the time. He took a nap in it and was content waiting in line. My carrier was a huge help during the Disney trip.

We just went last month, it was the kiddos first time. The trio will be 5 soon and Jericho is 2 1/2. They all had a blast, but I'm sure Jericho will not remember it at all...while the trio still talk about it and ask to go back. We don't plan to go often, it is spendy for our big family, so the next time we go won't be until Jericho is at least 4.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

My kids have been 3 times--2011, when my DD was just over a year and my DS was 2. We went September 2012 and just got back last month. I love Disney!! I love seeing their faces when they see something for the first time and as they grow, they'll be into different things. It's an 8 hour drive, but we camp so we save a little on hotel costs. We have reservations in Nov, then I think we will take about a 2 year break from Disney before we go back. I don't think 2 is too young--she won't remember, but you will have those memories....

We talked about it and even planned on it this summer (Nolan is 2.5), but we are only about an 1-2 hours away from Disney. We are putting it off now, I am pretty useless in the heat during pregnancy.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Thanks everyone! I know it is a vacation for us, too, but my sister went for 7 days and her daughter did NOT do well. We are looking at a shorter trip and definitely only 1 park. Who knows what we will do. DH and I both love Disney and right now DD is totally into Mickey Mouse!
    Phoebe Grace 6-22-11; 37.5" and 26.2# at 2 years old! She is my wild child!
    Me & Geoff, 40; DD Phoebe, our June Bug

I would do it with my 2 year old. I think it depends on the child. He is a lot more easy going with a change in routine and likes characters. I would not have gone with DS1 when he was 2. I also could see 7 days being a lot for a 2-year old. When I was an older child, we drove to Disney from MA. We spent some time in Disney, and then we spent the rest of the vacation at a beach. If you're traveling to get there, that could be an option, too

See, even 4-5 is kind of young IMO, just for the fact that I went when I was 5, and was 2 inches too short to go on almost all of the rides. >< I remember being SO disappointed by that! I could only ride on the dumbo's and teacups pretty much :/
    Miriam (26) Mark (28) #1 on the way, due 1-5-2014, and it's a girl! FF/Temps

We took DD when she was 18 months to Disneyland and California Adventures. She was able to ride most rides with an adult and loved it! I want to take her back this coming year since her grandmother lives in California and she is really into princesses right now.

I went when I was 5, to Disney World. I remember it and I had a lot of fun! I didn't ride any fancy rides BUT I was a tall kid so I got to do lots of stuff. This was back in 1991 so I'm sure it's much different now.

I wouldn't take a 2 year old. I would do something less expensive for the family and save to take the kids when they were old enough to appreciate it.
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

We live very close to Disneyland and ironically I bought season passes this year a month before I found out I was pregnant. That said so many of my friends had passes and went before their kids were 3 because they could get them in for free. Personally now that my kids are 4 and 5 I feel like they get it and appreciate it.

So if I didn't live close and had to spend a ton of money on a trip to go I would 100% wait. I think 4 is probably a good age to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Sermari View Post
    See, even 4-5 is kind of young IMO, just for the fact that I went when I was 5, and was 2 inches too short to go on almost all of the rides. >< I remember being SO disappointed by that! I could only ride on the dumbo's and teacups pretty much :/
    It's much different now. There are only 4 rides in the entire park that a 2 year old can not get on; Space mountain, splash mountain, thunder mountain, and some Buzz Lightyear ride. My daughter who was 8 months when we went in April went on almost every ride in the park sitting on my lap or in between 2 adults.
    mom of 2 girls and 2 boys... 6,4,2, and 8 months

space mtn has a 44" or more requirement, big thunder, splash mtn and stitch's great escape all have a 40" or more requirement, so out of all 38 "attractions" the magic kingdom has, a kid under 40" has a lot to see and do!

we took ds when he was almost 2.5 to disneyland and california adventure and even with some of the normal difficulties we have with him, he loved it. i'd take him again at that age.

check out the disboards.com they have a great section for families taking young kids to disney. lots of tips and advice and everyone is friendly!

eta: september from what i heard is a great time to go. less crowds!
    Last edited by hayleybot; 06-23-2013 at 11:14 AM.

I wouldn't go just for my 2 year old, because I think that is too young to really appreciate and remember the experience. I also think it can be pretty overwhelming for that age. So I wouldn't go for the purpose of my 2 year old getting to go to Disney. But if DH and/or I loved Disney and wanted to go for US, then I would go and of course our toddler would come with us and have as much fun as a 2 year old can. So it depends on who the trip is ultimately for. If I was going mostly for my kid's enjoyment, I would wait until they were older. And like others said, cost would factor in to the decision, also.

My son and his family went, along with another family they're friends with, in March when Brooke and her friend were 7 years old. Of course Kayla wasn't even a year old yet. She had a good time, but she won't remember it. Brooke's friend has a little brother as well, but I think he's about 4 or 5 years old, so old enough to remember it, too, I would think. All that being said, with only a 2-year-old and not an older child who would get more out of it, I personally wouldn't do it unless, like someone else said, I lived right near it.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!