Thread: talking about death

Default talking about death

DS1 (4.5) is starting to learn about death. We have yet to experience the death of anyone close to us since he has been born, but the other day, he asked about my mom about my grandfather, who died when I was six. She told him that he is with Jesus; that he lives in heaven. He is an extremely anxious child (to the point where we are seeking therapy for it), so we want to go slowly when introducing him to death because we believe it will make him anxious. Dh and I have talked about how we will explain death from a Christian point of view. However, I have been thinking a lot about our close family members who are not believers. When they pass, I can't say they are with Jesus. DS already knows who is a Christian in our family and who is not. How do you explain the death of a non-Christian loved one to your children?

I told DD that they become one with the universe, and as such, they will always be all around us. I told her this when we lost our dog in March, and when DH's dad passed away a couple of weeks ago, she pretty much asked me if that's what happens to him. It also made sense to me to put it in those terms from a Law of Conservation of Energy (or Mass) perspective.

I am not sure if this is at all helpful, but we have been dealing with a lot of death lately (we'll likely lose another dog shortly), and DD seems to have taken well to the idea.

DS#1 is very literal. He was with us when we buried our dog. He thinks she is mud now for the flowers. He understands that people die. We have lost his grandfather and great grandmother within a few months of each other. We just tell him they are no longer with us, but we can enjoy thinking about them. DH's dad was not a Christian, so I am glad he has not asked where he is.
    DS1 4 DS2 2 Expecting 10-13

Quote Originally Posted by Fallenstar80 View Post
    DS#1 is very literal. He was with us when we buried our dog. He thinks she is mud now for the flowers. He understands that people die. We have lost his grandfather and great grandmother within a few months of each other. We just tell him they are no longer with us, but we can enjoy thinking about them. DH's dad was not a Christian, so I am glad he has not asked where he is.
    DS1 is really into knowing who in our family is a Christian and who is not, and I can just imagine him asking where the non-Christians are. I want to be prepared on how to answer that if he does ask. I am hoping he won't ask about the distinction until he is older, but he has had some really advanced spiritual questions and has really stumped me already.

Blog Entries

I guess that I would emphasize everyone's ability to accept the free gift of salvation. So, those that choose Christ go to heaven and those that reject Christ do not. Once you die you can't change your mind. Those who aren't believers are forever separated from God. As he gets older you can fill in what that really means.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD