Thread: There have been a lot of posts on here wondering about three kids

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Default There have been a lot of posts on here wondering about three kids

I found a blog that pretty much summed it up for me perfectly:

http://shortwinded.net/so-you-would-...hree-children/

And here was another look at the issue, all in favor of the three kids, and most of this guy's points I just can't relate to yet:

http://frailb.wordpress.com/2013/06/...oint/#comments

Maybe it's because his kids are a bit older, and all of his fun-time playing and working together may work more and more later on, but I still relate a lot more to the first author. I think both of them are very honest, and it goes to show that everyone's experiences are very different, and it's hard to say exactly where anyone might end up in the continuum here.

Thanks for sharing. I definitely feel more like the first blog post right now, but I think that's due to my 2&3 being twins (which is quite another world!) and the kids being so young. The second link gave me a lot of hope for the future. Seems like as the kids get older, things become easier, which makes sense.

I have to say I'm the second blog....for now lol. I love having three children. I felt like there wasn't any transition from 2 to 3. Mickaella, I totally see how having twins skew the equation though. I never felt like the first blog. Yes, we go through difficult times, transitional behaviors, kids always wanting something different. We have an incredibly messy house (most of the time), and if we don't, it's messy by the night lol. But I have to say, I live for this. I knew I always wanted three kids, which is why I took this "oops" pregnancy so hard. I love our life. I love our life with three kids. My DH is gone working half the time, or more than half the time, so this falls on me majority of the time. Thinking about adding one more to our "perfect mix" was mentally hard for me to grasp because I was so content with three. But, God had another plans, and I'm completely okay with that now. My third child was difficult (compared to my first two), and I really hope this one isn't like her lol. Ultimately though, all I ask for is a healthy baby.

I understand the first blog that no one can take care of your three kids like you. I agree. Completely. I always, always have at least one child with me. And when I'm alone, something feels wrong. Anyway, I'm getting beside the point lol. I love having three kids, and I hope having a fourth is just as "perfect" for us as it is now.
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

I'm pregnant with our third boy and I get a lot of looks of sympathy or complete bewilderment when people ask and I tell them it's our third boy. I am not scared though, my youngest will be 3.5 when he's born. Having a 5.5 and a 3.5 year old with a newborn seems easier than having a non verbal 2 year old with a newborn.
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

Yeah, the first one I can relate to. Life is very insane for us right now....

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

Man I could have written many parts of that 1st one. The school pickup/preschool/baby section was my life for 9 months and it was very hard. Although now that it's summer and everyone is home see the "noise" and "messy house" sections. Except the part about handling babies better isn't true for me. My 1yr old has never STTN and I have no clue how to get her to do so

I didn't read the 2nd one yet. Maybe I should since it sounds like there is hope for the future lol!
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreya View Post
    I'm pregnant with our third boy and I get a lot of looks of sympathy or complete bewilderment when people ask and I tell them it's our third boy. I am not scared though, my youngest will be 3.5 when he's born. Having a 5.5 and a 3.5 year old with a newborn seems easier than having a non verbal 2 year old with a newborn.
    That was our saving grace with the twins. DS1 was 3.5 when they were born, which I think was probably a lot easier than if he'd been 2.5.

Quote Originally Posted by mla View Post
    That was our saving grace with the twins. DS1 was 3.5 when they were born, which I think was probably a lot easier than if he'd been 2.5.
    I had both. DD1 was 2.5 when DD2 was born and DD2 was 3.5 when DD3 was born. It was actually easier with the 2.5 in some ways because they were both like babies so we just stayed home and they (sometimes) would nap at the same time and were both in diapers. But once DD2 was mobile it became very difficult.

With the 3.5 age difference it was a little easier in terms of her being more independent and able to do and understand more but emotionally she was a mess. And I had to get her back and forth to preschool and go to her school shows and events which was difficult with a fussy baby and to work around naptimes.

It really depends on the personality of the kids and anything less than a 4-5 year age different will inevitably be challenging at least for a while....

ETA: DD1 was 5 when DD3 was born and that age difference is completely different. Definitely easier all around there.

Also I was finally able to read the 2nd one and I can relate to it somewhat as well. I think both are true at different times and for different families. I don't think any of us say having 3 kids is ALL bad. There are good parts and bad but some of us are in the midst of the bad/tough part at the moment. For a brief moment my 3 girls were sitting together playing legos and it totally warmed my heart! I tried to ignore the GINORMOUS mess in the background lol.
    Last edited by macksmom; 06-30-2013 at 06:44 PM.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Fun articles. I think I am somewhere inbetween the two sides. Yes
    life is totally crazy here from the moment I wake up till the moment I fall asleep. There is a deafening noise at every thing we do. There are so very many toys around everyday. But I can also see the light and I can see the fun of it all. I fear for the very near future when our first bit of school begins and everyone needs to relearn routines.

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (6) Isabe11e (5) and C0rbin (3.5) Vio1et (almost 2)

Interesting articles. My kids will be 6 and 4.5 when the baby comes so I don't think I am going to suffer at all from the toddler issues, but now I am going to have a baby who is completely different from my older two who are on the same schedule. I pretty much know naps on the go are the only option. Seriously this kid will never sleep. Between 2 pm school pickup and noon pickup 3 days a week there is no chance for this kid! I am just hoping with the 4.5 year age difference it will be a bit easier.

I'm going to say the biggest differences in perspective between #1 and 2 articles have to do with the age of the younger children and primary care giver vs dad (if the guy said he was primary care giver I missed it) surely the dad has never been alone at a party nursing while the 2yr old ran wild.

I had issues going from 2-3, it was probably my hardest time as a parent (until now, dealing with depression in a teen). But I believe it was because 2 and 3 were really close in age (17m) and #2 was extremely high needs with zero self preservation or impulse control. By the time I had #4, everyone was older, and #4 was the sweetest easiest baby ever.