Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy your kids their own laptop?

Default Would you buy your kids their own laptop?

I'm thinking of buying a laptop for mostly my 6 year old and 4 year old, nothing fancy, just very basic....what are your opinions? She wouldn't have unlimited access, it'd only be used for homeschooling and technology work. I'd love to hear opinions because I really don't know how I feel about it. A part of me thinks it's a great idea for her to start learning with. I can't think of many cons besides the fact that she's 6-does she need her own? If yours has one, which one do you have? Thanks
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

I say go for it if you can afford it. My son has been learning and reading on his own Nook since he was 3. There are so many great learning resources out there. You just have to make sure you have parental controls in place. I like the nook, because I can download all kinds of free preschool type apps and books, plus he can draw, listen to music, etc. and it is WAY portable. I figure they need to be up on some of this technology so they aren't completely lost with their friends and for when they start using computers in school.

ETA: He got his nook from my folks...I don't know that we would have been able to afford it at the time. I still would have bought something similar for him by now. Prices are coming down on them nowadays.
    Last edited by sunkiss; 06-17-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    ~Andrea~

I personally would not, but just because of finances. HOWEVER, that said, if you can afford it, and you're going to be homeschooling, I would think it would be an invaluable learning tool. They start using computers at school very young. Also with all that said, Erin got new laptop and is going to let Katie use her old one for educational games.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

Buy "their own" laptop? NO. Allow them to use theirs in limited capacity with lots of supervision? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Buy "their own" laptop? NO. Allow them to use theirs in limited capacity with lots of supervision? Yes.
    I'd never let her know its "hers" But it would be strictly for homeschooling only. She wouldn't be able to go on it any time she wanted. Only during homeschooling hours and for work only. She can use my iPad for games and such.
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

I think that it's okay to have a "work" computer of some sort. 4 and 6 year olds don't really need much of any computer time, so on a limited basis, it should be fine to use. If you already have a machine, I'd just let them know that they can use that between certain hours, and not actually buy a separate computer for that.

sure. we were thinking of an ipad/tablet for his 4th birthday. We've resisted so far, but if we're going to consider a leap pad as a gift (which he plays with at his friend's house), then we thought it made snese to get the real thing. (So it grows with him) Then we said, well if we're getting an ipad, why not a whole computer? (Just a notebook; nothing fancy.)

Probably, we're getting none of the above (cost and I'm just not sure we want him glued to the screen), but I think it's fine. heck, in a few minutes, we'll read up about poison dart frogs on the computer and will watch related videos. So it's not like he's not using one already.

DS got a small little laptop style computer from MIL for Christmas. It Android OS, so it's more like a phone, but he likes that if he's good and does his homework without giving us any problems, (or in the summer his practice work sheets) he get's to play on it for 5-10 minute.

*Kimberly* Mommy to Hayden (7), Alexis (5), Makenzie & Brooke (18m)!
    Looking for some bows for your little one? check us out --> www.sweetnsassycouture.com

Blog Entries

I probably wouldn't, but that's because my kids don't do a lot of screen-type stuff. (M gets technology time in her school so we don't do a lot of it at home.) They play a few basic games on my laptop and Kindle occasionally, maybe once or twice a week. So for us it wouldn't be worth the cost when they can just borrow our stuff. The fact that you are home schooling though makes me think it could be a good investment, especially if they are able to work independently for a bit maybe while you do stuff on your own device(s).

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

I wouldn't be opposed to it although, for us, just my laptop is plenty for all of us. We are usually doing it all together anyway.

I definitely will be when DD gets old enough. She has a little vtech one and she doesn't like it. She wants to use mine. She likes to pretend type like I do...

I would. We are thinking of getting DS his own tablet. In CA alot of the school districts are using tablets these days.

My 6 year old will be getting one for his 7th birthday this year in December. So I say go for it!!!

DP Maria (39) DS Christian (7) and me-Carrie (33)
    Happily together 14 years and going strong!

My daughter has our old ipad (1st generation). It's been great. She uses all of the learning games, etc... If you can afford it, I think it is a great tool for kids. Especially because these days there is so much focus on learning computers early on.

Our plan is to buy a 'house computer'. Probably a desktop so that usage can be limited. I don't think there is anything wrong with kids that age to have monitored and limited access to a computer. The world is full of them, you can't get away from it.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

My DS1 has asked for his own computer a few times... we have always side tracked it because I am worried about spoiling him... he already has SO much.

But that being said... if I was homeschooling, I wouldn't think twice about it. Every classroom here has a computer, it's a vital tool for teaching now a days.
    .~Becky~.

Torn with this one. While I like to think we limit screen time, we have an iPad that DD uses. It is mine, she understands it goes to work with mommy and that at a certain hour it goes to sleep. DD is just 2, but we have the learning items on the iPad and that is all she uses. Well, that and the camera. When it comes time for computer usage, she will use the 'house' one. I can't see spending additional on one when we have 2 already, plus my work computer I have free access to bring home with me should there EVER be a time that all 3 of us are needing a computer at the same time. For me it is not about finances, but more about screen time and the related mind gobbledy-gook. But I agree with many, you can't get away from it.
    Phoebe Grace 6-22-11; 37.5" and 26.2# at 2 years old! She is my wild child!
    Me & Geoff, 40; DD Phoebe, our June Bug

I would say yes, that it's ok. My twin four year olds and my six year old each have an ipod. Mostly educational games, but they get the occasional fun game on them.
    Julie (Mom of 3)

I'm actually really surprised by the positive responses to this. If it is limited screen time and for homeschooling, what is wrong with using a parent's computer for a few years unless you only have a work computer? Am I missing something??? I feel really old. Everyone seems to reinforce on here that their LOs may own technology but have very limited screen time. I'm being sincere here and not trying to make trouble but, help me understand how owning a separate computer for homeschooling or any purpose is benefitting a 6 year old.
    Last edited by suze001; 06-19-2013 at 03:00 AM.
    Me 38, DH 38, DS 5/28/08, DS 7/6/10

Quote Originally Posted by suze001 View Post
    I'm actually really surprised by the positive responses to this. If it is limited screen time and for homeschooling, what is wrong with using a parent's computer for a few years unless you only have a work computer? Am I missing something??? I feel really old. Everyone seems to reinforce on here that their LOs may own technology but have very limited screen time. I'm being sincere here and not trying to make trouble but, help me understand how owning a separate computer for homeschooling or any purpose is benefitting a 6 year old.
    I don't think anyone is saying there's something wrong with sharing their parents' computer. But if parents have the means to buy their child their own, what's wrong with that? Personally, I just prefer to keep my laptop off limits to my kids. Personal preference, I suppose. I don't think a child at any age NEEDS their own computer, but I also think it hurts nothing for them to have it. I can still limit time and set parental controls, and my son knows that his parents technically "own" it. He actually forgets about it for a couple weeks at a time. But I can visibly see the skills he has picked up from using his Nook.
    ~Andrea~

My laptop is completely off limits to my kids hehe... way too protective. Honestly, I let my SD and SS use my new laptop once when they were 10 and 13... and they still ended up scratching the screen on it. No idea how they did it hehe... but it happens. DH lets our 6 year old use his desktop, and that's great for him... no ones touching mine though hehe.
    .~Becky~.

we have a 'school' computer but I don't let them think its theirs. It works great dh has programed a few cites they can access like Starfall and thats it. Its nice to keep them my computer.
    Katie~
    DD1 (7) DD2 (4) DS1 (22 months) Baby #4 EDD 7/13/14

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Yeah this pretty much sums it up.

We are a homeschooling family too. So as the boys will be in their own online instruction courses at the same time (as they get older). I will have more then one computer. But they will never think it's "theirs". I think we'll need separate computers when my youngest is 7. So around 9 or 7 they'll probably have separate computers. It will still be monitored and supervised. And once they want to browse the internet they have to do that on our family laptop in the family room or dining room. The filtering software I will have on the homeschooling computers (which is in the boys bonus room next to their bedrooms) will have a internet cutoff time early and will only be allowed to access the schooling and extra's they need just for schooling.. So if they want to browse the internet for recreation when they are done with school they'll have to do it in a public area of the house near us. Like the living room or dining room or kitchen. They won't have an ipad. They can use ours when we are around. But they are too young for that right now.
    Last edited by pants; 06-19-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by sunkiss View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying there's something wrong with sharing their parents' computer. But if parents have the means to buy their child their own, what's wrong with that? Personally, I just prefer to keep my laptop off limits to my kids. Personal preference, I suppose. I don't think a child at any age NEEDS their own computer, but I also think it hurts nothing for them to have it. I can still limit time and set parental controls, and my son knows that his parents technically "own" it. He actually forgets about it for a couple weeks at a time. But I can visibly see the skills he has picked up from using his Nook.
    I just think it seems awfully wasteful. The $500-1000 it costs for a personal laptop for a 6 year old could go in to a nice college fund.

If it was for homeschooling, I would get a house computer for everyone, but mostly dedicated to education. I can understand those who have said they would not want their child using their personal laptop. Children can be rough on technology. If I had a nice expensive laptop, I would rather my children use a cheaper hardier (not portable) desktop for their needs.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

I just think it seems awfully wasteful. The $500-1000 it costs for a personal laptop for a 6 year old could go in to a nice college fund.
    We buy $2-400 laptops. Which is what many people spend on birthday parties, Christmas presents, etc. I don't find a cheap laptop for limited use to be wasteful at all. Not when it's a reality that by 3rd grade in many (most?) school districts anymore the computer is expected to be used for assignments. And our kids are in the same classes every other year so with the same homework going on, they will each need access to a computer at the same time.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Wow, holy crap! I'm way to cheap to spend that much on technology. My laptop only cost $210 and my son's nook was maybe $150!! You need to shop at cheaper places or find second hand deals!!
    ~Andrea~

I should add that my "laptop" is a notebook. It's smaller than a regular laptop, but it does everything I need it to do!
    ~Andrea~

Quote Originally Posted by sunkiss View Post
    Wow, holy crap! I'm way to cheap to spend that much on technology. My laptop only cost $210 and my son's nook was maybe $150!! You need to shop at cheaper places or find second hand deals!!
    I'm completely not tech savvy. I only know what my ipad costs and my work is paying for that.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

I think we could buy 3 laptops that are word processing/internet worthy for what we've paid for our ipad-which seems ridiculous when put that way!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter