Thread: potty training tips for boys?

Default potty training tips for boys?

We are starting to potty train DS, 2.5. For some reason it seems harder than it was for DD. I could wait a little while, but he has to be out of diapers to start preschool in September. Any advice?

My MIL told me she used to put a piece of toilet paper in the bowl and have her boys try to "sink" it with their pee. Making a game out of it. I've tried it with kids I've babysat for before and it's worked in getting them to go before bed when they were too tired/reluctant to try to go.

For my DS it was knowing that for school he had to be potty trained by a certain day. We didn't pressure him, just had a potty in the living room (where he played) and a stool in the bathroom. We told him that before his next birthday 6-9 months away he had to use the potty or his class wold move up but he would have to stay. Then he started on his own. He was fully day trained in a month and has been ever since, with an accident here or there. Night training hasn't happened yet and he is almost 5.

2/28/13

Blog Entries

It has been much different with my DS compared with my DD. She was dry all night and for naps by 18 months so totally able to hold it from a young age (but she was willful so it we were still in and out of diapers until after she was 2.5 years old). Now my DS will pee on the potty all day long. However, he is not able to hold it so I need to take him every 15 to 20 minutes. It's therefore my experience and I have plenty of anecdotal evidence that boys aren't ready as early as girls.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

Jericho has just started showing real interest and readiness. I really think wanting to do what his older siblings do is the biggest factor for hime, and treats

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (5 1/2) and Jericho (3)
    My Blog!

Having successfully potty trained 2 boys at 2.5 years old each here are my tips!

- Don't wait for "readiness". Neither of mine showed me any sorts of readiness signs, in fact my youngest used to cry for his diapers. My oldest was speech delayed and barely verbal when he was trained. They were each trained because of looming preschool and because I was getting fed up with changing toddler poop.

- Let him know a date when the diapers are going away forever. Get a big calender and mark off the days with big red "X"s, then tell the child "Only two days to go until the diapers go bye bye!" etc.

- If you don't have any younger kids in diapers, have the boy pack up all his diapers in a garbage bag and tell him that the diapers are going to the babies now. You don't have to actually throw them away obviously, just hide them or something

- Explain that pee and poop goes in the toilet now. He's a big boy and just like mommy and daddy and big sister use the toilet so will he. Show him where the toilet is. Our oldest was trained on a little separate potty but our little one was trained on the toilet because he saw his brother using it and wanted to be like his brother.

- Once the diapers are all gone, let your child go bare-bottomed as much as humanly possible. There will be accidents. Just watch him, when you catch him in the act scoop him up or help him run to the toilet and finish off in the toilet. Explain that's where poop and pee goes every time and heavily praise for ANY success whatsoever. When there's an accident, keep calm and have him help you clean it up.

- Remind him every 15 - 20 minutes at first then gradually step it back. Just asking "Do you need to go potty?" or "Remember pee and poo goes in the potty" was enough for mine.

- Have him go bottomless indoors and in your back yard if it's private enough until he gets the hang of consistently using the toilet every time he needs to go. It took my kids a couple days to get good at it but I had them go bottomless at home for a couple months a piece.

- If you have to go out have him in very loose sweat pants or shorts. Carry an extra pair in case there's an accident. Underwear came much much later for my kids because the tightness of underwear reminded them of diapers and they'd go in underwear so I'd just put them in loose pants with no undies.

- Make sure he watches daddy go to the bathroom.

- Do not use pull ups or diapers for naps or bedtime. Have a waterproof cover on his mattress or a waterproof under sheet. No fluids after dinner and make sure he goes pee before bed. There will be accidents. If an accident happens just clean him all up and have him sit on the toilet for a bit. If you use pull ups and diapers for sleep you run the risk of him withholding because he knows he'll get a diaper later on.

Things we did not do:

- No rewards other than praise. Adults don't get stickers and candy for using the toilet, using the toilet is just something you do.
    - Pullups. They feel too much like diapers.
    - With DS2 no child's potties or potty seats on the toilet, just a stool. That was more his choice though because he hated the potty seat and wanted to do it "properly". He squats on the toilet seat right now for both #1 and #2, it looks weird but gets the job done.
    Last edited by Dreya; 06-17-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

Boden was super easy to train! NAKED!!! If he was naked (no bottoms on) he would not have accidents and go every time he had to go (did this in the matter of days). If he had a pull up or underwear on ....he's pee in them. Then the issue was getting him to actually wear pants........spiderman underwear fixed that issue. (he's 2.5...will be 3 in September and he's been going on the potty successfully with little or no accidents for the last 5-6 months (earlier he only did this with me...and wore a diaper on outings and at my mother in laws when she babysit a few mornings a week)

Thanks, all! Not sure I'd call our first day a huge success, but we will keep at it and use some of the tips :-)

We did the bottomless thing and that was a great way to get him started. I agree with Megan, praise ANY and all successes and do not scold for accidents. We did do a sticker chart and worked great. He wanted to earn stickers so it reminded him to try to go more often. I would also set a timer for 30 minutes whenever we were home and would ask him if he needed to go everytime it went off. That combined with the naked thing worked really well.

We always let him in the bathroom with us some could see us use the potty, we did not use pull up because he treated them just like diapers. After he was consistently going on the potty while naked I started putting just underwear on him. There were one or two accidents, but he caught on to that quickly. Then I added pants. Again there was an accident or two but he quickly learned the feeling of having the layers on.

DS1 has been potty trained for several months and wears his underwear for his naps, but we still do a diaper overnight. He's dry more often than not in the am, but for the times he's not I'm not ready to do underwear overnight. So just understand that part might come later. Good luck!

Oh, we also put the little potty on a towel in the living room where he was playing so that it wasnt "out of sight out of mind" plus if he didnt tell us till right when he had to go it was right there and he didnt have to run for the bathroom. That was before I started the timer thing which worked better for us. But sometimes having the potty closer helps some kids.
    Last edited by Pangie; 06-17-2013 at 08:14 PM.
    Angela (28) DH, Pat (30) DS Connor (4), DS Leo (2), DS Nathan

I also did the naked way and did not use any rewards. I also taught him how to use the potty sitting for both. I think it helps them to poop in the potty if they are used to it all the time..Plus, they don't have perfect aim at 2.5, and I don't want to deal with a lot of mess

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    It has been much different with my DS compared with my DD. She was dry all night and for naps by 18 months so totally able to hold it from a young age (but she was willful so it we were still in and out of diapers until after she was 2.5 years old). Now my DS will pee on the potty all day long. However, he is not able to hold it so I need to take him every 15 to 20 minutes. It's therefore my experience and I have plenty of anecdotal evidence that boys aren't ready as early as girls.
    We're total opposite! DS was PT-ed for pooping on the potty since around 13 months, PT-ed for poop&peeing by 2,5, and out of night time diapers by 3. DD is almost 2.5 and shows zero interest in going potty, although she does go in school because they line up all kids to go at certain times. She's the one that can go all night with a dry diaper, too (DS was a heavy nighttime wetter till almost 3).

ITA on the naked method, definitely worth a shot. DS pees standing up (I found that he made more mess sitting down).
    Me: 29, DH: 29, DS: 2, DD: Born 2/10/11