Thread: Rosetta Stone for DD1 and I

Default Rosetta Stone for DD1 and I

I am in the process of creating/choosing DD1's homeschool curriculum. I'd love for her to learn a second language. I found a great price for Rosetta Stone and I'm wondering if anyone has used their program. Did you love it? Hate it? I'd love to learn a second language along with her. If you liked it, what language did you choose? I'm thinking German, for my Oma. I could understand and speak very little when I was young. I'd love to be able to speak the language with my children.

If you chose Rosetta Stone, and didn't know the language yourself, did you have trouble with teaching your LO?
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

There was another thread about this on the random board, maybe a few months back? You might find a number of answers there. (not being snarky; Just meaning that you might find more or more immediate answers with a search.) Mine was that I haven't done it myself, but I'm thinking about it for an upcoming business trip abroad. I've heard good things about Fluenz programs (supposedly better than Rosetta Stone for depth of learning) but a military command with which I work uses Rosetta Stone for its staff. I figure it it's good enough for them, then it works for me. I think it might be what my company offers, too.

I think it's a great idea. I had grand plans for maternity leave - that I would learn spanish while nursing my child (yes, that was pure naivete). I still think about doing it with him. Always best to start young...

Not much help since I speak the languages my kids are learning but wanted to ask where you got the deal (want to get Spanish for DH).

German should be a good choice since English is a Germanic language (lots of similar roots) but grammar is definitely more complex. Depending on where you live, learning Spanish might be a good choice too.

DD1 used Rosetta Stone in elementary school and found it easy and efficient. She really liked it. She's since taken two years of in-class French in middle & high school. We're thinking of using RS for her homeschool next year, but even with sale prices, it's pretty spendy! I was actually hoping to learn Spanish this year to further one of my volunteering goals (most people I'd be working with would be spanish-speaking), but dd1 wants to continue with French and I certainly don't want to shell out for two different languages. I'm hoping to convince her to switch to spanish so we can learn together, but I understand her reluctance since she's already had two years of French. I'm not sure what we'll do.

Oh, and to answer your question about what language if we were starting young -- we'd definitely choose Spanish (dd1 chose French over our objections in middle school). It just has a lot more application in most parts of the US. Some of dd1's other homeschooled friends take Mandarin, since it's also widely spoken. You're in Hawaii -- you could consider Japanese, too.
    Last edited by pepperlru; 06-17-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Quote Originally Posted by TX2008 View Post
    Not much help since I speak the languages my kids are learning but wanted to ask where you got the deal (want to get Spanish for DH).

German should be a good choice since English is a Germanic language (lots of similar roots) but grammar is definitely more complex. Depending on where you live, learning Spanish might be a good choice too.
    http://www.rainbowresource.com/#num=1326&id=album-4

I haven't really done any research on the prices, but I thought this was pretty good.

We live in Hawaii, but honestly, I do NOT like the Japanese language. I would be so overwhelmed with that, that I do not think I would be able to help DD as optimally as I could. I took Spanish in highschool. It was okay. I'd like for her to do German because we have family in Germany and it would be awesome for us to somewhat be able to communicate

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

I'm toying with the idea of getting the HS Rosetta Stone Dutch--that site has a pretty good price on it. I wish Fluenz had Dutch but it doesn't yet, although when I looked into it and tried it out I don't think it's really good for kids.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Quote Originally Posted by wannabmomof3 View Post
    http://www.rainbowresource.com/#num=1326&id=album-4

I haven't really done any research on the prices, but I thought this was pretty good.

We live in Hawaii, but honestly, I do NOT like the Japanese language. I would be so overwhelmed with that, that I do not think I would be able to help DD as optimally as I could. I took Spanish in highschool. It was okay. I'd like for her to do German because we have family in Germany and it would be awesome for us to somewhat be able to communicate
    Thanks!

In which part of Germany does your family live? I'm only asking because some dialects have quite different pronunciation and I remember a friend of mine learning German on RS because her fiancÚ was from Germany but when he'd speak, the software would mark it all wrong because his pronunciation didn't match up with the dialect that was used in the program.

German is fairly easy to learn for a native English speaker.
    Me: 29, DH: 29, DS: 2, DD: Born 2/10/11

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

I second German being super easy. I'm not super great at conversation (I could be...just let my nerves/embarrassment get the best of me) but I can understand most conversations and written German is super easy for me-same with French.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Quote Originally Posted by TX2008 View Post
    Thanks!

In which part of Germany does your family live? I'm only asking because some dialects have quite different pronunciation and I remember a friend of mine learning German on RS because her fiancÚ was from Germany but when he'd speak, the software would mark it all wrong because his pronunciation didn't match up with the dialect that was used in the program.

German is fairly easy to learn for a native English speaker.
    That is so good to know! My Oma was from Osnabruck, pretty close to Munster if I'm not mistaken. We've always wanted to go to Germany together, but unfortunately, life happened. She fell down and broke her hip, then Alzheimer's set in pretty quickly after the incident.

Personally, I've never used it. I taught myself Japanese, then lived there and picked it up way better. Then my Dad decided to go back to Japan with me, and used RS to teach himself Japanese.

Considering that he jokingly refers to himself as "non-lingual", he really picked up a lot from it. Was even able to give a short (maybe 4 sentence...) speech in Japanese while there!

With that said, I would not ONLY use RS, but that probably goes without saying...

I'm no help. There is no RS for sign language.

My dd is learning German on her own and finding it an easy language to pick up (my maiden name is Bierschbach...my great-gpa was from Germany and he married my Ojibwa great-gma). Up to this point I haven't intro'd a foreign language until high school since my oldest two are only interested in getting their credits out of the way rather than actually learning the language but my next dd is very interested in becoming fluent.

I have not used rs but my bff loves it for her kids . I've always wanted to try it and am still considering it for my younger kiddos...just not sure which language to choose. Spanish would be advantageous since we live in an area with a large latino population where there is a high need for interpreters (there's always someone waiting for an interpreter at the pharmacy or lab at our dr's office since there's only one for the whole building). Then again, I don't necessarily expect my kids to stick around here after college and since they all want to learn different languages at this point I'm not sure. I know those who do a classical style education start latin in the early grades as a foundation for language arts instruction.

Anyway, total tangent, lol, sorry about rambling !!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

My DD is 7 and using it right now. We love it!