Thread: Would you treat your house?

Default Would you treat your house?

We are a totally non-poison household. I am against it in almost all forms, even if dbf wants to spray weed killer (aka dandilion killer, WHY???) in an area where the kids don't play, I'm not ok with that. This summer has been awful for ticks. I have done everything that it says to do. Keep the grass short. Clear all of the leafy debril from around the house, use cedar for landscaping, got chickens, sprinkled dichatoamous earth (I always spell it wrong) in the crevices of my home, flea and tick collars for the cats (even that I've never wanted to do but this year is so bad), checked us all at least once a day, sometimes more if we've been in nature a lot, vacuum and dust obsessively, keep clutter off the floors. I just keep finding them in the house! Two nights ago dbf woke in the middle of the night because he felt something crawling on him and when we turned on the light it was in the bed! Sawyer had one on his head one morning. Kai on his ear one evening, Savana on the back of her neck, me crawling across my chest, 3 or 4 on the cieling and/or wall. Tonight I found 2 on a pillow downstairs. I slathered the kids in a tea tree/coconut oil lotion since I read that tea tree repels them. I'm really really really bothered by this. What would you do?

I am confused - is the weed killer for the ticks? Is there a tick killer you could spray? I assume these ticks could be carrying lyme disease? If so, I would spray something that would kill the ticks. Last year I broke down and bought Off with deet because the mosquitoes were INSANE and there were lots of confirmed cases of west nile virus in the area. I had to weigh the evils of poison vs what illness the insect could bring. It sucks but what can you do? I am hoping they wont be as bad this year.

Anyway, with all that you have tried and all you have found in the house and on people I would definitely do something more if I were in your shoes. Have you looked into natural insecticides? I know with mosquitoes there were garlic sprays that could be made and there are natural repellents although sadly they did not work for us.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

yes, I would. We are dealing with a pest problem here and have resorted to spraying. We try to limit our exposure to it most of the time, but sometimes I feel like it just needs to be done.

I am looking online and not seeing much for companies that treat your home, just your lawn. And really, we can't poison our lawn. It's our garden, our chickens. Ugh.

Try beneficial nematodes - they work for fleas and ticks outside and they aren't poison. http://www.arbico-organics.com/categ...fleas-ticks/26

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

In past years I have normally found several on my dogs or in my house (and my dogs don't even go outside everyday or if they do it's not usually that long and our grass is short). We treated the lawn once already this year and haven't found any yet. I might do one later this summer because last year we treated in June and Cosmo got an attached tick in Nov....was a warm fall.
    That said, we do NOT spread it in the garden. DH uses our spreader and it's little pellets. He gives the garden some space...it's a raised bed so not too hard to do.
    Depending on how your house and yard is set up....maybe it's possible to just treat the perimeter of the yard or just around the house?
    The chickens might be a be a problem...do they have free reign or a fenced area?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Maybe it is because of where I live, but natural methods do nothing for the flea/ticks here. So yes, I would spray, but I can understand your reservations.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Do you use grass clippings for compost? That would be a problem for me since I use my grass clippings in my garden and compost tumbler. However I would still try to do something if they were causing that much of a problem and work around the garden. Perhaps if you do it before a few days of rain it will be mostly washed off. I would definitely have a hard time with it though....and yeah have no clue what would happen with the chickens. Do you eat the chickens or just their eggs? Are they feeding off the grass or just running on it? Maybe they can be fenced into a large area that is left untreated?
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Blog Entries

Not fun! I'd be worried about lyme disease and would spray/use something that will kill them. Maybe you could treat right before a vacation or a long weekend away.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

In our state...there is more than just Lyme. http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/communi...orne/index.htm

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I do have reservations about spraying, but I do worry about the diseases that ticks and other pests can carry, so if ticks are inside your home, I really think you need to do something. We live in a heavily wooded area where many neighbors have reported ticks on themselves and children, but I have never heard of them inside their homes. That sounds really bad :/

I think the ones i have found in my home came in on us or especially the dogs. There are woods but a farm field is in between that and my yard. New subdivision so all our trees are small and bushes are small and grass isn't that thick yet.

I just keep my dogs off the grass for 24 hours after treatment....well my older one it was less time but she just goes out and comes back in. My little dog is the one who is always nose to the ground and likes to eat things...but she also has no issues with the litter box unlike the older one.

I do use frontline on the dogs too but that doesn't do a whole lot from stopping them from dragging in ticks....and the dogs sit on me and on the furniture and sleep in my bed.

I really hate ticks. Almost makes me miss winter......

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I would spray because it seems you have tried everything else. The fact that they are in the house is what would put me over the edge. I would probably fence the chickens for a while in an untreated area and not put the grass clippings in the compost until you get them under control. If you try the nematodes, it is super critical to keep the soil moist. We have a sandy yard and were not able to keep it wet enough for them. But I have used them for fleas successfully in another house.

We had a huge flea problem one year. We did not use chemicals inside but we pulled all the stops in the yard ... We could not walk to the car without being covered in fleas. So I found my limits on when the chemicals are no longer off the list. I hope you get rid of the soon.

I would absolutely in a heartbeat. My cousin's daughter got Lyme disease from a tick, which to me is far scarier. But, that's just me! I did find this link to a couple of non-toxic yard treatments for ticks (at the very bottom). We just did a treatment to our yard for mosquitoes (they're awful this year!), and I just kept the kids out and about for the day while FIL put it down. It actually is rain activated, so if you do go with a yard treatment, I'd make sure you read the fine print and put it down close to when it's going to rain if it needs rain to activate it.

I hope you find something that works! I know it sounds like you've exhausted most of your natural remedies.

Dbf and I were just discussing more and are wondering if it has anything to do with the house next door (very closely built houses) is being torn into, the roof completely removed to add another level, and dbf said the guy doing the roof mentioned there was mouse problem. I also found a pile of mouse turds on our deck and we have cats so mice have never been a problem for us. They are one of the carriers of the ticks. Also, our cats go in and outside. I may have to come up with a stronger treatment for them. Anyway, I ordered the nematodes. I am gutting and treating my basement with natural methods today. The chickens are free to roam the yard for at least a part of the day. They are the best thing for tick prevention so I don't want to not let them about! I am checking us thoroughly every day so not tick would be on for longer than a few hours. And keeping an eye out for the symptoms of lyme. I hate this a lot. If it continues without improvement I will have to re consider spraying the yard.

Could you not let the cats out? I bet some are coming in on them. I know at least with dogs frontline plus....it's a lot better on fleas than ticks. Ticks still come in them and it can take 48 hours on the dog to die. It helps but it doesn't stop them for hitching a ride or even biting them. 48 hours is long enough to transmit disease. Not sure what the ingredients in the cat stuff is but maybe it's the same thing?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

The cats will bust the screens to get out. One of our sliding door screens is duct tape style around the bottom to keep them from pushing through. Scoundrels! I will look into getting better treatment for them. We check them regularly too, though not every day. I also dust them with the diachotomous earth periodically. I went to Fleet Farm this afternoon and got some household spray for a variety of pests, ticks being one. I'm going to put it around the basement, laundry room garage, etc. I hate to do it but I am just trying to weight the risks here.

Yeah I don't know about cat products except that you cannot use dog ones on them. I tried checking for ticks on mine but their hair isn't so easy and if one was in the black parts of Cosmo, forget about finding it. I really do get it....I didn't put stuff down the first two years because I hated the idea.....we try to be as green and environmental as we can. I asked around locally if others had the problem too and come to find out, most people were using the stuff from menards in the red bag which was why we tried it last year.

I just wish frontline acted faster or that there was a better option but that seems to be what vets recommend. and we vax the dogs against lyme. Though that didn't stop my volunteers dog from getting erlichia.

It just really sucks, my hometown in the southeast part of the state, we NEVER had ticks in the yard or looked for them on us. Only people who had to do that were people who went camping up north.

I think treating the perimeter of the foundation/house is a good place to start and hopefully that helps! I have heard that this is a pretty bad tick season so far and they have been thick.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36