Thread: 1st time pregnant, confused....

Default 1st time pregnant, confused....

Hi everyone.

I just recently found out I was pregnant. I took 3 home pregnancy tests all positive. Heres my problem though. I was supposed to start my period on the 19th. It didnt come. I waited until the 21st to take a test. Then I took another the next morning. The 1st day of my last period was 4.17.13. After taking those 2 tests I went to a OB/GYN on the 23rd and they tested me and it was positive. The Dr then checked me, I believe he did a trans vaginal ultra sound. I saw my uterus but there was nothing there. Just pretty much a black space. He said it was either too early OR it is a tubal pregnancy. (which is really freaking me out). I then gave blood and he told me to go to a lab and have them check my HCG levels monday (which is tomorrow the 27th).

Now I have been calculating my due date and all that jazz and by the calculations it says im 4 weeks and 5 days and it calculates my conception date around the 7th of may. To me thats only 2 weeks and 5 days.

So is that too early to see anything in my uterus? Im just freaking out because im so scared to have a tubal pregnancy. This is my first pregnancy.

Also I havent had any spotting or bleeding or any pain. Only around the time I should of had my period I was having VERY light cramps, but they went away. Oh and my boobs arent sore, just my nipples. They have been like that for at least 2 weeks.

If it was only a few days after your period was due that they did the US, it's very likely they wouldn't be able to see anything at all... they always count things as from the date of your last period (or 2 weeks before conception if you know the exact dates), because most people don't track and that way things are consistent. So you are 4 weeks 5 days, but the baby is approximately 2 weeks 5 days old if that makes sense - probably no bigger than a poppyseed, aka reallllly hard to see on ultrasound/microscopic! An US after the 6 or 7 week mark will be more likely to be able to see something, and then there would be a heartbeat too. I wouldn't really worry very much about it being tubal, but following up and tracking your hcg levels is a good idea. I was worried about a tubal even without an ultrasound, just because of the off and on cramps/sharp pains I was having, but they subsided around week 7 - it takes a long time for the baby to burrow in, and then for the placenta to attach itself, and I think I was just hyperaware of that/feeling that. I had an us at 7 weeks 3 days, and there was my little bean, in the right spot, and with a perfect heart beat! Cramps and sore boobs/nipples are so common it's not even funny, I was having the exact same things (and still do, but less on the cramps now at 8 weeks). Congrats, and I hope it all continues to go well!
    Miriam (26) Mark (28) #1 on the way, due 1-5-2014, and it's a girl! FF/Temps

A pregnancy is calculated as starting on the first day of your last period NOT the day of conception, so that's why you are 4 weeks, and not 2. That said, its nearly impossible to see anything on an ultrasound until at least 6-7 weeks I believe, so you wouldn't see anything at this point. Try to take a deep breath, and relax! Sounds like everything is going fine! I didn't have any symptoms at all really until about 7-8 weeks or so, and even then they were very mild. Some cramping and spotting is normal in early pregnancy too. Hang in there, and stay optimistic! Congratulations!
    Jennifer

I agree with the others. You will not see anything in the uterus until your hcg has reached over 1,000. And then, you only see the sac and sometimes the fetal pole and yolk sac. I only know this because I'm a tubal reversal patient and was told to have a beta drawn and as soon as it hits 1,000 to go for the ultrasound to make sure it isn't ectopic. I am at a higher risk for ectopic because of the reversal. So anyway, I wouldn't stress over it. I'd wait at least a week, maybe two, before having another ultrasound done. Good luck!!

Most ob/gyn doctors will not schedule an ultrasound until at least 8 weeks. Honestly to do it sooner is more than likely a waste of time / money. Don't feel discouraged yet! He did the ultrasound way too soon.

Thanks everyone for your input. Its helped me put my mind to ease.
    I went to the lab this morning to have my levels tested but they were closed.
    I had a feeling they would be since its a holiday. I will just go in the morning tomorrow.

I also have another scheduled appointment on June 20th. I cant wait to see what shows up then!!!

Thanks again ladies
    Last edited by dirtydarline; 05-27-2013 at 05:04 PM.

just wanted to do a quick update. I went to the lab on tuesday so they can test my levels and they said they are going up and that it was just too early in the pregnancy to see anything. So now i just have to wait until the 20th of june for my next dr appointment to have another vaginal ultra sound. so going by how many weeks i should be now, i'll be at 9 weeks went i go in again. eek! lol
    Darline - 30 DH - 24 DSS - 30 Months & DSD - 17 Months
    6/2013 R.I.P Little Baby

Quote Originally Posted by dirtydarline View Post
    just wanted to do a quick update. I went to the lab on tuesday so they can test my levels and they said they are going up and that it was just too early in the pregnancy to see anything. So now i just have to wait until the 20th of june for my next dr appointment to have another vaginal ultra sound. so going by how many weeks i should be now, i'll be at 9 weeks went i go in again. eek! lol
    Yay!

So glad to hear everything's going well!
    Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by Adhafera View Post
    So glad to hear everything's going well!
    Thanks!!
    Darline - 30 DH - 24 DSS - 30 Months & DSD - 17 Months
    6/2013 R.I.P Little Baby