Thread: how will you survive summer?

Blog Entries

Default how will you survive summer?

If you've had kids in school all year and are getting ready for them to be home all summer, how are you feeling about having everyone home? I've been looking forward to it b/c we'll have time do to lots of fun stuff, but the way my girls have been acting with each other lately my enthusiasm is waning. They fight all. the. time. I know this is normal, but I need to figure out how to keep my cool when these arguments pop up all day long! Our days will be fairly unstructured...they will have a few activities each, but I wanted to leave lots of time for playdates and family time (since he's a college instructor, DH is off during the summer).

How's everyone else planning on handling things?

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

I am looking forward to it. This will be the first summer since I've had both of them that I won't be putting them in daycare. I'm still working, but they'll be coming with me. Partially because their daycare provider just had her last big round of chemo last week and is having a double masectomy in a couple weeks. She's kept on doing daycare and has told me that she would love to have them back this summer...but A)I don't want to add to her load and B)I just feel like I NEED to be the one with them (Scharae) this summer. For the last 3 summers I've started out "just working 2 half days a week...ok, 2 whole days. Well, maybe 2 long days and another short day. Maybe 3 long days...ok fine, 50 hours a week..." and I just really don't want to do that. So if I bring them with me it will limit how much I can say yes to.

So, 2 or 3 mornings a week we will be at work where they will have reading time, journal writing time, and then some kinds of math activity and then whatever they bring to play with that day or coloring. Then the afternoon will be free play-museums, parks, the river, etc. The days we aren't at work will start with the same semi-structured morning before we go off on our adventures.

This summer will also be the time we take to figure out what kind of school we will do next year. Keep them where they are, homeschool, switch to a different school with more special education resources, etc.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I am not really looking forward to it sadly. Weekend are bad enough let alone 2 months! It's not because I like them to be out at school but we all do so much better when we have a routine. I also will get ZERO free time or time to myself with 3 young kids home all day. Normally I would try to get them out as much as possible - beach, pool, park, etc. but I need to work around the baby's nap schedule because she isn't the type who will just nap on the go. Mine also fight constantly so I am expecting some extreme unpleasantness.

I signed DD1 up for a sports clinic for 4 weeks. It runs from 9-12pm 5 days/week for 4 weeks. That is TOTALLY perfect because it will create a routine for us and give her something to do for a little bit each day. She is my social butterfly. She always has been. Even at age 2 she would run to the window and ask if she could go play with random kids walking by the house! So she NEEDS to do something like that and the price was reasonable and the timing was perfect. DD2 is like me and a homebody and shy. She could stay home for days and be happy so she is only doing a swim lesson on Saturdays and that is it for her (DD1 is also doing swim on Saturdays).

So aside from that I will try to keep busy with them. If we pick DD1 up at 12 we can go someplace until about 2 or 3 and then I will need to put the baby down for her nap. DH may be getting home at 4 from work over the summer so that will be a perfect time to come home and wind down. DH will be home for 4 weeks over the summer and my mom is off the whole summer so I will have help but sometimes we are just better off on our own. Luckily we have a lot of cool, cheap places to go - town pools, beaches, spray parks, regular parks, bounce houses, the library, etc. Now that DD1 knows a lot of neighborhood kids from school we also have more options for play dates so I plan to try to get some of those set up.

That is the plan!
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (20M)

I am really really looking forward to it! And this is with me having been home with Maiya all her life, and only just starting preschool now. There's just so much I want to do to enjoy the warm weather... I actually wish I could have waited on preschool until after summer, but she really needed to get out there.

DD was only in school 2 mornings a week so we have a lot of time together as it is. But summer in Chicago is always really fun and we have just started to have nice weather in the past couple of weeks. So I am really looking forward to exploring the parks, visiting the free zoo that we walk to, and doing all sorts of other fun things with the kiddos. That said, Olivia is going to camp for 3 weeks in July from 12-4 every day Mon-Fri. And I am also really looking forward to that! lol During the school year, the few short hours Olivia was in school became my errand time and poor Harrison just gets dragged all around. But I plan on having some quality time with just him while she is in camp

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I'm a little nervous about this summer too. DD1 is just finishing up full day Kindergarten and school is so busy and structured that she is often bored when home. I've set up a few activities for each girl and also left enough down time to do play dates, trips to the library or park, and some time just hanging out at home. My other challenge will be that neither girl is napping whereas last year they both were so I'd at least have that quiet period in the afternoon to recharge myself for the rest of the day.
    Growing fast... DD1 (6) & DD2 (4)
    Forever loved, forever missed... Twin Girls with us for 19w3d 6/12/06

Blog Entries

I agree that some structure would be beneficial. I've been thinking that summer would be a good time to establish chores for both girls...more time to tackle things w/o school getting in the way (no rushed mornings, down time later, etc.) and with DD2 approaching 4 I'd like to have her start doing some simple jobs regularly. We haven't napped around here in years--both girls quit early--and we used to do quiet time but I haven't been very good about enforcing that, either. Maybe after lunch would be ideal time to read (esp. DD1, who is reading short chapter books on her own now) and give me time to recharge.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I'm half looking forward to it and half worried about it.

They go completely crazy without a lot of social time or stimulation or physical activity. On weekends, I always have multiple activities planned out, and the down time, or waiting 4 hours from when they wake up until DH wakes up and is actually ready to go somewhere, is a recipe for fighting and restlessness and yelling. My daughter often wakes up in the morning with a list of about 10 different things she wants to do or places she wants to go. I cannot do quiet time around here. Every once in a while I can separate them in various rooms, but there is no such thing as quiet activities for all three of them at the same time unless I make it happen and then it's the opposite of quiet.

On the other hand, I've got a ton of memberships to museums and aquariums and activity centers and zoos, and it would be enjoyable to take advantage of them, as well as all of the beautiful places around that we have yet to explore or have already seen and would like to visit again.

And then, on my third hand (we all know moms have more than two hands), I'm going to miss the occasional time to get grocery shopping done or chores done without all three kids turning it into a wrestling match. Mine have never been ones to quietly hang out or tag along while we go somewhere. In fact, I often have to hold hands with at least two of them to keep them from running off, and that includes one of my older ones. THAT I'm dreading.

I have four total weeks of summer camp for my older kids. I had two full weeks of vacation also, but my DH got a new job and says he can't take it, so now I have reservations for two camping trips that I might have to cancel and a trip to Hawaii that isn't going to happen and hopefully a weekend back to visit my dad that will still happen. But just a weekend. Wah.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    I'm half looking forward to it and half worried about it.

They go completely crazy without a lot of social time or stimulation or physical activity. On weekends, I always have multiple activities planned out, and the down time, or waiting 4 hours from when they wake up until DH wakes up and is actually ready to go somewhere, is a recipe for fighting and restlessness and yelling. My daughter often wakes up in the morning with a list of about 10 different things she wants to do or places she wants to go. I cannot do quiet time around here. Every once in a while I can separate them in various rooms, but there is no such thing as quiet activities for all three of them at the same time unless I make it happen and then it's the opposite of quiet.

On the other hand, I've got a ton of memberships to museums and aquariums and activity centers and zoos, and it would be enjoyable to take advantage of them, as well as all of the beautiful places around that we have yet to explore or have already seen and would like to visit again.

And then, on my third hand (we all know moms have more than two hands), I'm going to miss the occasional time to get grocery shopping done or chores done without all three kids turning it into a wrestling match. Mine have never been ones to quietly hang out or tag along while we go somewhere. In fact, I often have to hold hands with at least two of them to keep them from running off, and that includes one of my older ones. THAT I'm dreading.

I have four total weeks of summer camp for my older kids. I had two full weeks of vacation also, but my DH got a new job and says he can't take it, so now I have reservations for two camping trips that I might have to cancel and a trip to Hawaii that isn't going to happen and hopefully a weekend back to visit my dad that will still happen. But just a weekend. Wah.
    You have one of those too, huh? Yeah, we don't do full family activities in the morning in our house. If we do anything in the morning it's just me and the girls!

My DD is always home with me, but I still like to do special things in the summer.

On Pinterest I've seen lots of lists of things to do in the summer. I pinned one: http://pinterest.com/pin/202873158186851598/

I also liked this daily theme and have adapted it to fit us: http://pinterest.com/pin/202873158186811952/

We're doing:
    Movie Monday (10 summer movies at Harkins theaters for $7)
    Take A Trip Tuesday (museum, play place, park)
    Wet & Wild Wednesday (splash pad, water park, slip & slide if we stay home, water balloons)
    Thinking Thursday (library and science experiment or letter of the day)
    Fresh & Fun Friday (make a fun kid project from Pinterest- I have a TON pinned)

We'll use the first list for ideas of things to do for our daily theme as well as on the weekends. Also, my inlaws have a pool and live a few houses down, so swimming is an almost daily activity in addition to the activity we have planned.

Most of the time my DH doesn't go with us. I always let him know when we have something especially fun planned and what time we are leaving, and if he's not home we leave without him (with my DH it's never a case of him still being asleep).
    Last edited by MomOfAnOnly; 05-24-2013 at 01:33 AM.

It'll be interesting. My oldest was in 3 morning a week preschool and I have them both in a 3 morning a week preschool camp thing at our gymnastics club for the last 3 weeks of August but other than that they're home. I will also be very pregnant. We're planning to do local things because we usually travel to Canada but we're not doing that this year so the kids will see all our local attractions like the aquarium, the science center and we'll take them to Ocean city one day. Other than that lots of fun in the back yard
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

Quote Originally Posted by MomOfAnOnly View Post
    My DD is always home with me, but I still like to do special things in the summer.

On Pinterest I've seen lots of lists of things to do in the summer. I pinned one: http://pinterest.com/pin/202873158186851598/

I also liked this daily theme and have adapted it to fit us: http://pinterest.com/pin/202873158186811952/

We're doing:
    Wet & Wild Wednesday (splash pad, water park, slip & slide if we stay home, water balloons)

We'll use the first list for ideas of things to do for our daily theme as well as on the weekends. Also, my inlaws have a pool and live a few houses down, so swimming is an almost daily activity in addition to the activity we have planned.

Most of the time my DH doesn't go with us. I always let him know when we have something especially fun planned and what time we are leaving, and if he's not home we leave without him (with my DH it's never a case of him still being asleep).
    I love your plan! I hope you don't mind but I shared it with my sister. She has a six year old DD (and almost 1 year old) and has been brainstorming ideas with me to keep her daughter busy this summer. This plan is right up her alley

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Quote Originally Posted by MomOfAnOnly View Post

We're doing:

Thanks for posting these ideas.

James and I are going to try to knock out a big chunk of our hours for habitat this summer and I have my stepmom / dad and James' parents to help watch the kids. Cody is going to Holiday World with us for the first time June 11th which is a theme park. We'll be going to the zoo a lot this summer when James is off or has an early day since we have a membership and we might branch out to other zoos within 1-2 hours from us. Cody does well with structure so I will have to think of some activities that both of kids can do.

I am excited, but especially nervous. I am having a baby in June and have 3 other kiddos between 2 and 7 at home...so it could end up being a very long and stressful summer.

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)