Thread: Missed Miscarriage

Default Missed Miscarriage

Hi All - was simply trying to learn some of your experiences as I go through my first miscarriage.

I was pregnant with my 2nd when I went to the doctor at 8 weeks to hear a strong heartbeat. Two weeks ago I returned to the doctor for an 11 week u/s to find there was no heartbeat. Based on the size at that point doctors estimate that I miscarried around the 9th week. I was explained my options and have decided to give my body a little bit of time and have scheduled a D and C for early June. I have been unable to find many people who have gone through a missed miscarriage so am seeking information. Have any of you had this experience?

This week things seems to be progressing, but I dont really know what to expect. Four days ago I began to have brown spotting. The following day this changed to consistent, realtively light bleeding. I am now in my 2nd full day of this with no pain. Can it continue like this until it is "over"? When will the cramping and heavier bleeding begin? What have your experiences been?

Thank you in advance for reading and possibly sharing your story with me.

I am so sorry for your loss

I had a missed m/c at 12 weeks - my first. I had seen a heartbeat at 6 weeks, went in at 10 to hear the heartbeat and there was none. The doctor felt it was just too early. I started spotting brown at 12 weeks and went in the next day to find baby no longer had a heartbeat. I was told to wait it out a few days (it was a Monday) and if I didn't miscarry naturally by Friday, they would do a D&C. I ended up with the D&C. The bleeding was light until about Thursday, when I started having contractions - the bleeding was much heavier Friday and I probably would've passed the baby on my own if I didn't go in for the D&C that day.

2/09 6/09 4/14

Blog Entries

I had an ultrasound at about 8 and a half weeks and saw a beautiful heartbeat. I had an 11 week appointment where no heartbeat was found. A ultrasound confirmed that the baby was dead and was already smaller than it had been at the prior ultrasound. I started spotting a few days later and then miscarried naturally. For me, the actual miscarriage was like being in labor for two hours. It was contractual and heavy for the two hours. I did have bleeding after that, too, at increasingly light levels for a few weeks and then an annovulatory cycle.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I have had several missed m/c. Two were in the 2nd tri...I waited 2wks both times but ended up being induced in the hospital (15wks and 19wks). The earlier losses it took 3-4wks from the estimated time the baby had stopped growing for the cramping to start (with my 9 and 10wk losses the cramping was intense and came at regular intervals like labor...I even had a gush of fluid when the sac ruptured). Usually the spotting/bleeding preceded the cramping by a week or two. It's normal to bleed for up to 2wks after everything passes (you may experience quite a bit of bleeding during the intense cramping but it shouldn't last more than an hour or two).

(((Big hugs)))!!! I'm so very very sorry for your loss ...breaks my heart !

Thinking of you and praying you will be through this soon without needing medical intervention.

Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I had a D&C with mine (9 weeks), but I just wanted to say that I am very sorry for your loss - no one should ever have to go through this

Thank you all so much for responding so quickly. The information is helpful. For something so "common" it is surprising that it is difficult to find the information that you want.

I am so sorry you all have had to go through this. I appreciate your support while I work through mine. I will keep you posted.

I had a very very early miscarriage so I passed it on my own but my heart breaks for your loss no one should have to go thru that

I had a D&C with my second pregnancy at 10 weeks. We found out the baby stopped growing at 7 weeks. My OB waited a bit on the D&C to make sure I was comfortable with it. I was able to seek a second opinion in the mean time. I had zero spotting and cramping leading up to the D&C except for maybe a brown spot here or there a day or two before, but it was one of those things that I really had to look for. If I hadn't had the D&C, there is no telling how much longer my body would have held on to the pregnancy.
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

I'm so sorry you are going through that. I am on my 2nd missed miscarriage. The first was last year, we went in at 9 weeks expecting to see our little heartbeat, but the baby only measured 7 1/2 weeks and no heartbeat. I went back a week later to double check, but still nothing. That weekend I took misoprostol, but that didn't work so I had a D&C the next day. This time, I had an ultrasound at 8 weeks but there was a blighted ovum, with the sac measuring about 5 weeks. I decided to wait it out for a bit longer with this one, and started spotting this past Monday (3 weeks after ultrasound). Thursday morning around 4:30 I started cramping and bleeding more heavily. I went in to work, then had to leave in the afternoon. The intense contraction-like cramping lasted until probably 2am. I am still having some cramping but it is a lot less, and a lot less bleeding. I know I"m not as far along as you, but I hope that helps... I know its hard not knowing what to expect.

8/2012 4/2013

During the summer I mc'd around the 7-8 week mark. I'd had spotting since around 5 weeks off and on... towards the actual mc it increased to light spotting for 2 days, then on the 3rd day it increased and I had about 2-3 hours of "contractions/labor pain" and passed the pregnancy naturally. It was the hardest thing I ever did... but was "happy"?? to do it naturally at least.

I bled off and on for about another 2-3 weeks.

Had one cycle and then in the second managed to conceive again.

I'm so sorry for your loss, I hope this goes as "easily" as possible for you

I am so sorry for your loss. Similar to many of the other ladies who posted, I had an u/s at 6 weeks with my first pregancy, but there was no hb and the baby was measuring at 5w and a few days. I waited three weeks, but the baby did not grow and my body did not start the miscarriage process. I had a D&C in week 9. There is a great sticky in this section of the forums that talks about losses and how people coped through the physical piece of a loss, as well as the emotional aspects. I hope that you are able to take some time and heal, and my heart goes out to you.
    Lily

Hi All,

Thank you again for all of your posts. All very sad to read but hearing your stories have been helpful.

Exactly two weeks ago is when it all really started for me. I unfortunately ended up needing a bit of medical assistance in the process, but am happy to say that I am physically fine now. Given how much blood, etc. was lost I was surprised to hear that I had about a centimeter of retained tissue. I am scheduled for another sonogram at the end of this month and will likely have a D and C if the tissue remains. I was curious if any of you had similar situations with retained tissue and if you were able to pass the tissue naturally or if you had a D and C.

Thank you again for sharing.

KL