Thread: anyone wash diapers in cold water?

Blog Entries

Default anyone wash diapers in cold water?

A few months ago I was reaching for a bottle of Shout from the shelf above the washing machine and I lost my grip. It fell directly on the knob that I turn to switch from cold to hot water. I wasn't too upset since our washer is OLD (we bought a refurbished one 13 years ago and it's still kicking) and I tend to wash a lot in cold anyway.

But now I'm wondering...can you wash diapers in cold water? I've got the girls' stash that I plan to use for this baby as well but it just hit me the other day that I can't switch to hot water with the broken knob.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

There are a lot of women who do. Personally, I do not. I tested out using cold on my regular clothing, and I found the dirtier stuff really wasn't getting as cleaned as I liked, so I still use hot for towels, rags, and diapers.

Also, a while back we were having issues with our hot water. We basically had cold and tepid for a few months. I never really noticed that my diapers or anything weren't really clean, but when we got it fixed and got hot water back, I found that my diapers had less stains.

I think it probably depends on the type of water and your detergent as to whether or not cold water will work.

Blog Entries

Hmmm, I wonder if I will need to try different detergents then to see which works best. Guess that's something else to research! Good thing my daughter goes to preschool with a girl whose mom owns the local cloth diapering shop! I may need to chat with her as well...she's probably been asked about all kinds of things like this!

there was a blog or something posted by a CD company that explained the "science" of laundry. I forget who posted it. Basically, there are 3 components, temperature, detergent, and agitation. If you lower the temp, you need to increase the detergent and/or agitation. They shoed it as all 3 being part of a pie chart, so if you decrease any of those 3, you need to make up for it with the other 2. Maybe if I added more detergent, it would've worked, but I really didn't feel like messing around with diapers since I found something that works, you know?

Blog Entries

I'll google that and see what comes up. If there's a way to balance things out and get those dipes clean w/o having to buy a new machine right away, I'm willing to experiment. Thanks for the tip!

We generally use cold, generally. We have really hard water which isachallenge, so when I notice (night time diapers especially) starting to have the smell linger than I'll do a hot or warm wash.

Really you just keep tweakini until you have a good routine down.

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    We generally use cold, generally. We have really hard water which isachallenge, so when I notice (night time diapers especially) starting to have the smell linger than I'll do a hot or warm wash.

Yeah, there really is a lot of tweaking After getting a perfect routine for me, I didnt want to experiment anymore! I'm happy with my routine, my detergent, and my temp

Quote Originally Posted by i.<3.cheesysmiles View Post
    there was a blog or something posted by a CD company that explained the "science" of laundry. I forget who posted it. Basically, there are 3 components, temperature, detergent, and agitation. If you lower the temp, you need to increase the detergent and/or agitation. They shoed it as all 3 being part of a pie chart, so if you decrease any of those 3, you need to make up for it with the other 2. Maybe if I added more detergent, it would've worked, but I really didn't feel like messing around with diapers since I found something that works, you know?
    I posted the initial link I think. I don't know that i have the document on this computer. But I might be able to find it at home.

I use hot for a lot of things. Used to use it for everything, but it caused too much fading/bleeding, so I stopped. But definitely use hot for towels, whites, diapers.

I have super hard water too. I actually like the hard water cause i can use more detergent and not worry about rinsing as much.

Quote Originally Posted by christineestelle View Post
    I have super hard water too. I actually like the hard water cause i can use more detergent and not worry about rinsing as much.
    I have hard water, and I thought because of that I was supposed to use less detergent?

I have hard water, and I thought because of that I was supposed to use less detergent?
    I've always used more. Well, like if it says 1-2 I always use 2. Otherwise we end up with funk.

If whatever your doing ain't broke, don't fix it! Lol

I've always used more. Well, like if it says 1-2 I always use 2. Otherwise we end up with funk.

If whatever your doing ain't broke, don't fix it! Lol
    lol. I don't mess around with my diaper laundry! 3 scants of ruby moon works just great! just wondering about my regular laundry.

You can use cold unless you have a strong sense of smell. I am a bloodhound - I smell everything, soooo annoying. I must wash dipes with hot water and rinse several times or I smell the urine. I know people IRL who use only cold water and are happy. Also, if you sun dry or even let them stay in the sun once machine dried, that would help for sure.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Nope. The minerals in hard water eats the detergent before it has a chance to suds and scrub and clean. Supposed to use more detergent for hard water.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-QK...it?usp=sharing

Here's the link to the Laundry Science article I read.

Hey Christine- can I peek at the doc? I like my routine but if we could switch to cold and get clean diapers I'd be interested! It said I had to request permission. I am the megamomma email address.

Meg (30), DH (40) & the 4 J's (6.5, 4.5, 3, 1.5)

Sorry about that Meg (and everyone else). I didn't mean to set it to private. it should be available to anyone with teh link now.

Blog Entries

I just found this blog post on washing in cold, and there are lots of comments from people who wash in cold (and many more who want to try it), if anyone is interested in reading more: http://www.pistachioproject.com/2012...ater-only.html

We always wash our diapers on cold with Tide
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*