Thread: when is it safe

Default when is it safe

To leave your child outside unsupervised? We have a fenced in backyard with a lock on the gate that DS1 can't open. He's got toys and a sandbox out there. He's 3 and a half. Is it safe to lave him out there for a few minutes alone? for example for me to go make lunch or put ds2 down for a nap. I'm not going inside and watching a movie while he's out there, but dh said he doesn't think it's a good idea to leave him unsupervised. I'm just wondering what everyone else does?
    Angela (28) DH, Pat (30) DS Connor (4), DS Leo (2), DS Nathan

Oh gosh, at 3 1/2 with a fenced yard that he can't get out of? I'd be sending my daughter out all the time! "Go! Play! Call me if you need me!" Lol
    I would just leave the door open and check on him every once and a while, but other than that, enjoy the blessing of a fenced yard! I really wish we had one!

I think it is fine at that age, but you would be checking in frequently at the beginning to see what trouble he could get into. I also think it very much depends on the kid. Mine was out in our fenced yard without supervision for short periods of time before age 2. But she is pretty cautious and careful.

I am fine with it especially at my mother in laws because there are no neighbors for almost a 1/4 mile. lol So if I am inside helping cook I know he is fine because one the dogs are out watching him and 2 all he has out there is a power wheel and a sandbox to get into. Though I do check on him frequently especially if it seems like he is too quiet. lol

Sammi(me)~DH(Troy)~DS(Kyle)~DD(Rebecca)My Blog

My DD has played alone outside since about that age. Not a lot because she prefers having someone to play with, but she does it. I check on her frequently (even now at age 4), leave the blinds completely open, and I keep the tv or music down low so I can hear her if she calls me. She's great about following the rules though and staying in the backyard, away from the side of the house where I can't see her.

I let DD play outside by herself, and our yard is not fenced in. We live at the end of a dead end street, off a private road, so there is not a lot of possibility for mischief.

I think it's fine I leave my son who's 2 1/2 in our fenced in back yard for a few minuets at a time all the time... I always leave the dog out there too so if anyone were to come near the yard I know she'd go crazy barking (also Paige is often with him and she's like the safety police) . Our yard is out from the kitchen which has sliding glass doors so I can even cook dinner with doors open.. I can't see him the whole time, but I can hear him the whole time. If it is just Paige out there I let her play during Jude's whole nap while I clean the house sometimes... I still check on her every so often and have the dog out there, also the windows open so I can hear her the whole time.

Also last year when Paige was 4 I'd even leave her in our un-fenced in back yard for a few minuets at a time (just to run and grab something or use the bathroom). We lived in the country on a dirt road that almost never had anything but horses and buggies going down it as we were the only non Amish on the road. I also know that Paige will not brake any rules when it comes to her safety plus the dog was our there.

I let DD play outside in the backyard alone last summer at 18 months. I open the windows and back door so I can see her and I'll cook or clean while she plays. It's fenced in and I can barely get the gate open much less her!
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Thanks ladies! I felt safe doing it, but when DH (who is usually the laid back let-the-kids-do-what-they-want one) was against it, i had to stop and think about it. Our dog is with him too, like some of you said, so that is a little more security.
    Angela (28) DH, Pat (30) DS Connor (4), DS Leo (2), DS Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by tapir View Post
    I think it is fine at that age, but you would be checking in frequently at the beginning to see what trouble he could get into. I also think it very much depends on the kid.
    I agree with this. It really depends on the child. My older one is more cautious but my younger one can find something dangerous to do even in a padded room. So he is 3+ and I still cannot leave him.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

We have a high deck, and climbable play structures -- (plus a fairly secured above ground pool -- ie. fencing, locks etc) so I don't let the little man out by himself -- but my 5 yr old can go out to play on his own if he wants... obviously keeping a decent eye on him still

I let mine out but they are 4.5 and 6 (almost 7). I first started doing it last summer so they were each a year younger. They were usually out there together.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

We live in the city, so we have a very small yard but DD has a sand box on the side of the house. I keep the glass slider open and just use the screen door so I can hear her, and I periodically look out the window to see her. But she plays out there on her own for pretty long stretches of time these days - she is just 3 1/2 now.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

My neighbors have a 3 year old and an 8 year old and they're always outside playing alone, problem is the 3 year old throws rocks and balls over our fence even when our dog and Josh and I are out there and his sister is out there....so I think 3 is a little young. Even at 6 I don't leave Josh out there alone very long (and we have a fenced in yard too). Just if you're going to let him out there alone make sure you know exactly what he's up to.