Thread: Cutting down bfing

Default Cutting down bfing

I'm thinking of cutting down DD2s feedings. She drinks regular milk, but I'm having an extremely hard time cutting down. She wants to nurse all.the.time. Will pull my shirt down when we are walking. If she's with mil (she's the only one who watches dd2), dd2 is fine and doesn't neeeed it. But if I'm there, she's a wreck.
    My other kids were never like that, they were ff. It makes it soo difficult. How do I do this? I've tried to redirect, take her outside, play toys. Nothing works she just screams til she gets chee chee. Help!

I had this same post not too long ago! I've been taking it slow but just saying to him that he has to wait until after breakfast, or after the daycare kids go to school, or after we clean the yard...whatever. At first he was like a little banshee and was very upset so I'd often go ahead and nurse him then because it's a source of comfort and love to him as well so it wasn't something I wanted to withhold from him if he really truly needed it. Since I started this a few weeks ago, he now will happy to wait until the specified time and sometimes even forgets about it by then. Some days are more than others for how much he nurses but I feel it's slowly getting to be less and less.

How old is she? She may just be dealing with some anxieties.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

She just made one. Im not really in a rush, I just want her to be a little more flexible. Like when im in public, shes not ripping my shirt off! We comfort nurse too and I love it. I guess I felt a little pressure from her ped at the other days appt. She said to wean her in 1 month. She said its bad for her teeth too. I know I'm not giving it up, but maybe 20 times a day really is too much lol.
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

Sorry your ped is pressuring you. The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years and then as long as you are comfortable after that. Breastfeeding does not damage teeth. The risk with bottle feeding and tooth decay is that the bottle continues to leak after the child goes to sleep and can sit in the mouth and cause damage to the teeth. Breastfeeding does not pose the same risk. I think your ped is misinformed or uneducated about breastfeeding which unfortunately is all too common. That said, a year is about the time that kids start wanting to be more independent, but that independence can also seem a bit frightening causing them to be more clingy and needy with mom and dad. It's totally normal, and it won't last forever. Honestly, I was still nursing on demand until about 15 months with most of mine. Then they started to be more flexible and want it a lot less. I'd just continue to try distraction but not make it overly stressful. Maybe offer a cup and cuddles as an alternative. In the meantime, maybe you should print out a copy of this article and send it to your pediatrician. http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/tooth-decay/ and maybe this one too http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/...mmendation/en/ and ask why she thinks weaning so early is appropriate and what information she is using for that basis.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

Thank you soo much Mary Jane!!! I always thought in my head I would nurse until she didn't want to anymore, whatever age that would be. And then the ped said this and it kind of threw me off. Of course I don't want her teeth screwing up, which was one concern. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I know my Adriana is a little more clingy than most and I want to still nurse her because I love our time together. It's also limited because of this next baby. Thank you!!

I agree with Mary Jane! Mine is 28 mos, btw, so better able to understand waiting.

One other thing that might be helpful is instead of trying to cut down on nursing (if that's what you decide), teach her the way you would like her to ask (I know the ripping the shirt off thing in public bugged the mess out of me) if she is talking at all, use words, or even sign language.

Quote Originally Posted by zekedancin View Post
    One other thing that might be helpful is instead of trying to cut down on nursing (if that's what you decide), teach her the way you would like her to ask (I know the ripping the shirt off thing in public bugged the mess out of me) if she is talking at all, use words, or even sign language.
    I think this is a great idea, teaching her to ask. I taught both my girls the sign for milk (which is just squeezing your hand into a fist a few times, mimicking the motion of milking a cow). It was one of the first signs they learned at around 8 months old. I would sign it before nursing ("You want momma milk? *sign* Momma milk? *sign* Ok!") and right after they latched on, in addition to verbalizing it. Teaching them sign has been wonderful for cutting down screaming and tantrums since it has given them a way to communicate their needs before they can speak them.

I agree with the other ladies that your pedi is very uninformed. There is no medical reason at all to wean right now. Wean when you and your baby are ready.

That is a great idea. I wanted to do sign, but never got around to it. She understands words, but is not very verbal yet. She says mama, dada, dog, that sorta thing, but I think I'm going to teach her the milk sign. I'm not gonna give it up yet. It's our bond. Our closeness. And I'm just not ready to give that up.