Thread: Tears and fears

Default Tears and fears

So today I was faced with more disappointment as AF arrived. I just completed my second IUI and it was a bust! Everything was perfect and it ended up as a BFN! Then right before a lunch meeting, I get a call that two of my friends are pregnant. REALLY!! I am happy for them but reminded of my heartbreak. So I drove to my RE and chatted with her. She suggested that we skip our last IUI (it is a package where we pay for 3 IUIs and 1 IVF). So if I don't use the last IUI, I lose it!

What would you guys do? She thinks it may be too much for me emotionally to handle another IUI, but I feel like there are no guarantees with IVF either. I am so confused. I told her that I wanted to get as aggressive as possible if I move on with the third IUI. She said we can add in follistem. Thoughts ladies??

Thanks!

TTC since 08/06
    Cheryl- 34 Nick-32
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3f4f0a

• I'm so sorry. This just sucks. But I'm a big believer if you pay for it, use it. Especially if you will lose it if you don't. I agree with getting aggressive with the next IUI. I hope you don't have to use the IVF at all and this next IUI works. Are you planning on taking some time off or are you jumping in right away?

Thanks! I will definitely take a month or two off prior to starting IVF. I think you are also right about the IUI. I am just so scared that our dreams will never be realized. Prayers for that BFP!!

TTC since 08/06
    Cheryl- 34 Nick-32

I'm so sorry. I know how HARD it is and understand where your doctor is coming from. You know yourself better than anyone. Will you be able to move on from another IUI if it doesn't work out? If you know for sure you can handle it, I agree you should get your money's worth. Statistically, though, the IVF is much more likely to be successful. If you've paid already, maybe she is right and you should move on.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I am so sorry AF showed

Sme questns that might help us understand your situation and maybe help you think about it too- Have you paid for ivf and 3 IUI's and all the meds OOP already? Or is it an insurance coverage thing? Could you do the IUI after ivf if it didn't work? Or get some of your $ back if she recommends you don't do the 3rd IUI?
    STC Since 5/2012
    1/20/13 7/7/13

I would go for the IUI personally. Especially since it's part of your package. 3rd times a charm?
    Candice, 28, STC 7+ years

Okay, this is my situation:
    I paid $3,000 for 3IUIs. If the IUIs don't work, then that $3,000 is put towards the $10,000 IVF. So in other words, the IVF would only cost an additional $7,000. The loan I secured was for $12,000 to cover the 3 IUIs and the one IVF. The $2,000 is for the meds during the IVF process. So, if we do the third IUI and get pregnant, then we would have only paid $3,000 rather than the $12,000.

TTC since 08/06
    Cheryl- 34 Nick-32

If you're using a loan to pay for it, the argument for another IUI is pretty compelling. $9000 in hand to pay back the loan is something I'd be hard pressed to walk away from. But again - take care of yourself.

I do suspect doctors will push IVF because of the higher success rate without really being in your shoes and understanding how difficult it is for their patients to come up with the money.

Okay ladies, RE called and I am going into his office tomorrow morning for a baseline scan. He is going to give me 6 Follistim shots this cycle. Do you guys think I should try femmera this cycle or stick with clomid. Also, does anyone have any idea if follistim is better than Bravelle? Thanks!

TTC since 08/06
    Cheryl- 34 Nick-32

I think with your situation the iui sounds good! I am not sure about the meds. How did you respond to the clomid? I liked the femara as I had a couple good follicles and a good lining woth no real side effects but it didn't work for me gettin pg so I guess I didn't like it that much...

What does your re recommend?

I prefer Femara to clomid, less side effects and didn't mess with my lining. But you generally don't have quite as many eggs with Femara.

Thanks ladies. I never have a problem with my lining. Last time I had an 11. On my last cycle, I took 50mg of clomid days 3-7, three shots of Bravelle at 75iu, trigger, and then progesterone. Last month, I had three follicles that were mature. My RE is okay with being more aggressive. He is adding five shots of follistim. I really hope we have positive results or else, we will have to move on to IVF. Although it has better results, we were hoping to not have to spend the money. Fingers crossed.

TTC since 08/06
    Cheryl- 34 Nick-32

Good luck. I've used both bravelle and follstim for ivfs and got pg when I used the follstim. Everyone is different,but I seemed to have reacted better to it. KUP.
    Code snippet: HTML, Used for websites, email and some forums.

So sounds like femara or clomid are options. Does your re have a preference?

I will be on follistim for IVF! There is a cool pen that you dial your dose on looks fun- fun being a relative term these days. But it sounds like your re is pulling out the big guns!

When are you starting? Are you taking a cycle off or jumping right in?

I am starting tonight. I am taking the following schedule with Follistim:
    CD 3 (today) 100 Follistim
    CD 4 100 Follistim
    CD 6 75 Follistim
    CD 8 75 Follistim
    CD 10 75 Follistim
    CD 3-7 50 MG Clomid
    Depending on CD 10 scan (HCG Trigger)
    3 dpiui progesterone

Does this schedule look aggressive? I really hope this IUI works!! Fingers crossed. Has anyone had success with injectables and IUIs after the first two didn't work? Thanks ladies!!

TTC since 08/06
    Cheryl- 34 Nick-32

I did a cycle on Injections (Gonal-F) and IUI and got pregnant. We will be repeating again in June. I had to do injects for 2wks before I had a few follies that were big enough to trigger. I had Ovarian Drilling in hopes of it making injections easier. I think that's pretty aggressive so I really hope it works for you!

Cait[24] & Gene-Paul[28] Dx with PCOS & Left Tube Blocked Dec. '12
    03/22/13
    Sean Patrick born 3/11/14, 7lbs 13oz

Thanks Cait! It is really hard to keep faith during these times of the roller coaster ride. I really hope we find success this month! Hopefully this Follistim does the trick!

TTC since 08/06
    Cheryl- 34 Nick-32

I'm sorry you're back here again, but I hope the meds changes does the trick for you! It doesn't seem like an incredibly aggressive med regimen, that is similar to what I had for my IUIs. Hopefully they will be monitoring you closely? Tons of for you!

Thank you. I am bummed though because if this was your cocktail, it didn't work for you until IVF right?

TTC since 08/06
    Cheryl- 34 Nick-32

Quote Originally Posted by livliv View Post
    Thank you. I am bummed though because if this was your cocktail, it didn't work for you until IVF right?
    I used a different medication, but same dose, had a perfect response each time (2-3 mature follicles) and did get pg twice. Don't let my experience bum you out, everyone is different. Maybe a higher dose is just what you need. I'm pulling for you!!!

Thanks Erika! You are right. I need to remain positive. By the way, do you know how many babies you are having?? You are my inspiration!

TTC since 08/06
    Cheryl- 34 Nick-32

I used follistim and got pregnant, multiple times with an IUI but miscarried due to clotting issues.

I was going to suggest doing the 3rd IUI to try but also to tweak meds and see how things react because you only have a loan for 1 IVF and you don't want to be trying new meds or tweaking things much when you're in the middle of a rather expensive cycle. I could be wrong on that though...I know different meds are often used during IVF but I'd personally rather use something my body has responded well to previously, if that makes sense.

I don't think the protocol seems that aggressive but I'm not sure I'd use clomid with injects but if that is what your RE does, nothing wrong with it.

Good luck, I hope this cycle and IUI work out!

Quote Originally Posted by livliv View Post
    Thanks Erika! You are right. I need to remain positive. By the way, do you know how many babies you are having?? You are my inspiration!
    We started with twins (saw 2 hbs at a 7wk u/s), but are down to one super active baby! I posted some u/s pics in dec DD. I'm very happy to be in a place where I can be your inspiration! We've lived through the same heartaches, and it is tough, especially when you don't know if the end is in sight. IF will always be a part of us, but there can be happy endings!

Quote Originally Posted by Tee-Ah View Post
    I don't think the protocol seems that aggressive but I'm not sure I'd use clomid with injects but if that is what your RE does, nothing wrong with it.
    Good luck, I hope this cycle and IUI work out!
    We used Clomid and injectables with our last 3 IUIs...

That is exciting Erika!!! I am so sorry about your loss too. DH and I were just saying that our IF story is our journey that is definitely a part of us. We believe this was our destined path. It has been 7 years but we are closer as a couple than ever before. Thank you for your continued support and inspiration. Again congrats on your miracle!!

TTC since 08/06
    Cheryl- 34 Nick-32

Keep your head up Cheryl. I know its hard to think positve when its always the same result at the end. I know how you feel we are there with you.

Thanks Kim! I am going to be praying for you on this month as well! Hopefully that is some implantation bleeding.

TTC since 08/06
    Cheryl- 34 Nick-32

I don has any specific advice, just wanted to say good luck!!!!!!!!!

How are e injections going? How are you feeling?
    Code snippet: HTML, Used for websites, email and some forums.

Popping in... I have gotten pg twice using Follistim and IUI. My first pregnancy, it was IUI #7 - 1 with Clomid, 4 with Femara, and 2 with Follistim, 2nd Follistim cycle was the one that worked. Second time around, we went right to Follistim and IUI, and it took 3 cycles to get pg. We had to increase the dosage a bit from where it had been from the first pregnancy. I hope the third time will be the charm for you! I've never done a combo cycle but I have a friend who got pg with a Clomid/Follistim cycle (her 6th IUI) so it is definitely possible! Lots of to you!!!

Thank you KTbelle! I am so worried because everyone keeps mentioning how many IUIs it took them and this is our last one before moving on to IVF. It is part of our financial plan. Hopefully we get our BFP!

TTC since 08/06
    Cheryl- 34 Nick-32