Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: update...

Default update...

So tomorrow I go in for a beta in the morning and then get prepped to take methotrexate because they're concerned that since nothing is in my uterus that it may be ectopic (although they didn't see anything anywhere else either...so I have no idea).

If my beta has dropped quite a bit then they won't do the methotrexate but if it hasn't then they'll go ahead with it.

I'm confused about how the cytotec not being effective has moved in the direction of ectopic and methotrexate .

So, back to more waiting...going to look up methotrexate so I know what to expect in case my levels aren't down enough.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I hope you get some answers tomorrow.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Kelly I am so sorry that you had to go through this and that you still are

so sorry you had to go through all of this

I'm so sorry Kelly! I hope you don't need anything else!!
    ~ Jess ~ Proud momma of Hayden (7/29/06) Ava (3/14/08) Rainbow Baby Carter (6/8/12)

The only thing I know about methotrexate was that it used to be proscribed for severe rheumatoid arthritis. I didn't know they had other uses for it. I believe part of the formula involves colloid gold particles. I have juvenile RA and my mother (who is a nurse) refused to let them give to me as there can be some nasty side effects. (that sounded a little scary--sorry about that)

I'm sorry that your body is having a hard time letting go. I pray that your healing begins very soon.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] with the terrible chiweenies Ozzie and Sharon 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Thank you Natalie!! I'm sorry to hear you have jra (((hugs)))...how was it managed if not with mtx? Does it affect you now?

I was just reading up and the long-term side-effects are bad but one or two doses are usually well-tolerated. The worst aspect imo is that it can take weeks and more than one injection before it's effective. It can also take 1-3 months afterwards for hcg levels to return to normal and then it's recommended to avoid pg for 2-4months after normal betas because the mtx depletes folic acid levels which can cause birth defects .

So it's likely if my betas aren't down tomorrow we won't be able to ttc for the rest of the summer. I'm staying optimistic though that my numbers will be down .

Hoping for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    Thank you Natalie!! I'm sorry to hear you have jra (((hugs)))...how was it managed if not with mtx? Does it affect you now?

So it's likely if my betas aren't down tomorrow we won't be able to ttc for the rest of the summer. I'm staying optimistic though that my numbers will be down .

Hoping for the best!
    They had just starting using biologics when I was Dx. I used Celebrex for awhile but I didn't tolerate it well. I wound up "rebooting" my immune system with chemo-level solumedrol at 17 and for about 10 years after that I was fairly healthy. I've only in the last 3-4 years had RA symptoms return, starting to get some joint damage in my knuckles but that's about it. I'm sure I have a lot of difficultly ahead of me but hopefully that is decades away.

It's not good that it would take so long to get back to TTC after taking it. I really hope you won't have to go that route.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] with the terrible chiweenies Ozzie and Sharon 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Hey Kelly! I'm just popping in here and just saw this. I am so so sorry to hear about this. I know very well how miserable it is to have a m/c that just goes on forever. It's like you can't ever heal, and is just miserable all the way around. I wanted to tell you that with my very long neverending m/c experience I had a d&c and did cytotec. The doc said that cytotec often works very slowly. My numbers went down crazy slow for about 3 months but I never had to do anything else. Didn't they see baby on the u/s? Why do they think it's ectopic? Have you had any bleeding at all? With cytotec I had very little bleeding but it didn't mean nothing happened. It's confusing but I guess it can take longer than they usually tell you. I hope this nightmare ends for you soon sweetie.
    MMC 4/12
    Leah (27) DH (30) Diagnosed PCOS and Stage 1 Endometriosis/Diagnosed CVID 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Leah26 View Post
    Hey Kelly! I'm just popping in here and just saw this. I am so so sorry to hear about this. I know very well how miserable it is to have a m/c that just goes on forever. It's like you can't ever heal, and is just miserable all the way around. I wanted to tell you that with my very long neverending m/c experience I had a d&c and did cytotec. The doc said that cytotec often works very slowly. My numbers went down crazy slow for about 3 months but I never had to do anything else. Didn't they see baby on the u/s? Why do they think it's ectopic? Have you had any bleeding at all? With cytotec I had very little bleeding but it didn't mean nothing happened. It's confusing but I guess it can take longer than they usually tell you. I hope this nightmare ends for you soon sweetie.
    ...so crummy that any of us have had to go through this !

I've bled all but 7 days out of the last 5wks but my beta levels continued to rise slowly. I was charting my temps and had a positive beta at 11dpo when the bleeding started so I'm 100% positive of my dates. At 7wks I had an u/s that showed a small gestational sac in utero which was consistent with a 4-5wk pg. At that point they couldn't locate my left tube/ovary on u/s because of the way my uterus is tilted. So we waited a week and repeated the beta. My numbers increased again so they did another u/s and beta on Monday. My beta decreased slightly and the u/s showed nothing in my uterus. I was under the impression they got a visual on both tubes/ovaries since it looked to me like she measured both ovaries but maybe not??

At that point they prescribed cytotec (800mcg vaginally). I inserted it last night at 7pm and still nothing after 23hrs. So then they switched gears and want to do mtx for possible ectopic which honestly doesn't make sense to me. I have no idea how we went from cytotec failure to ectopic and mtx. They've been mentioning the possibility of ectopic all along but why try cytotec first and why move to mtx after it doesn't work?? Why not try a 2nd dose of cytotec?

I don't know...I have so many questions and I just want this to end. Praying tomorrow's numbers are good!

I am with you on the confusion. It seems like they had evidence that the pg progressed to a certain point and then the little guy moved on to join his angel siblings. It makes zero sense to backtrack to the tubes and an ectopic. Plus wouldn't you have some serious pain at this point? I don't think you've mentioned any... Not to mention that ectopics are so dangerous that it doesn't make sense either to "wait and see".

I know when I had mine they were going to do the meth cuz it killed rapidly reproducing cells, later found out it was a form of chemo, they mentioned that because of possible ectopic as well. I had the same thing, I bled weeks BEFORE my levels started going down. I ended up waiting until my levels went down, which unlike yours it was within 4 days but I never bled for the miscarriage, my body absorbed it I guess but I did D&C to clear my lining. IDK what your preference is but honestly honey, try to avoid the shot and I mean that in the kindest heart I can give. My doc told me I would need to be under observation for the first few weeks because it can get violent and honestly I was terrified of it and the nurses seemed as though they weren't a fan either. I know you aren't too keen on the D&C but while they are in there maybe they can do laproscopic and see if there is anything else going on in there that an ultrasound can't see. Plus the shot leaves long lasting effects on your life and I hate to see something happen to you like that, it's going to drag it out even more and it's going to be painful.

Also I am not sure what your last beta levels are but if they are under 1000 you won't see anything anyway.

Cait[24] & Gene-Paul[28] Dx with PCOS & Left Tube Blocked Dec. '12
    03/22/13

I agree Natalie...wait-and-see sure doesn't seem like a good approach if ectopic is a legit concern. I have had some right-sided burning type pain but not severe.

Cait...!! I'm totally with you on this...thank you for your advice! I'm a little (a lot) scared of this shot.

Just read this...none of the following sounds good but the bold part worries me the most:
    All women who suffer ectopic pregnancy are advised to avoid becoming pregnant for at least two proper period cycles, which is normally about three months. This is particularly important if you have been treated with methotrexate. This is because the methotrexate may have reduced the level of folate in your body which is needed to ensure a baby develops healthily. For example, it could result in a greater chance of the baby having a neural tube defect such as hare lip, cleft palate, or even spina bifida or other NT defects. The drug is metabolised quickly but can affect the quality of your cells, including those of your eggs and the quality of your blood for up to 3 or 4 months after it has been given. The medicine can also affect the way your liver works and so you need to give your body time to recover properly before a new pregnancy is considered. The current advice is to take folic acid for several months before you conceive. You must not begin to take folic acid supplements until the hCG levels have fallen to below 5<mIU/mL. Once your blood hCG levels have dropped, if you wish to become pregnant again, you should recommence your folic acid supplements several weeks or months before you conceive.

Yeah, no thanks! Big Hugs for tomorrow Kelly, I pray your levels have dropped so this can all be avoided! You are too sweet of a person for this to happen and I am so sorry!

Cait[24] & Gene-Paul[28] Dx with PCOS & Left Tube Blocked Dec. '12
    03/22/13

Big I can't believe that you have to go through all of this. Positive prayers and vibes coming your way.
    ]Mariah (35) and DH (40) BFP 8/12/13! Praying for all the APA girls .

Big hugs Kelly I'm so very sorry you're having to deal with this.

"You must not begin to take folic acid supplements until the hCG levels have fallen to below 5<mIU/mL." I don't understand this...folic acid is good for general health not just fetal development, what difference does it make what your HCG level is?

Anyway, I hope that your appt goes well and it's a moot point.

Thanks ladies !

Heading to my blood draw right now...temp was up above my usual coverline this morning so that's a little discouraging but hopefully it doesn't mean anything and my numbers are falling.

Let the healing begin!!

Stalking for results. Thinking of you. I hope your numbers are falling and your body starts cooperating so you can heal!

Thinking about you!

Thinking of you this morning and eager to hear how you're appointment went. Hugs!

Thinking of you and hoping you get through this soon. My vote is for a dnc too. Methotrexate has some scary side effects associated with it, and although the risk is small, statistics will mean nothing to you if you fall within that 2%. After dealing with catastrophic damage from a common antibiotic for over 3 years now and I can tell you that it would have to be an absolute life or death situation for me to take that risk again with any medication. Big hugs to you Kelly

Mel (39) DH (37) Expecting a boy after 12 months of TTC!
    April 2013 http://www.saferpills.org/

Thanks ladies !!!

I'm still waiting on my labwork...had my blood drawn this morning (twice...at 9:20 and at 10:45). Both were done stat...really can't believe they're not in yet (3pm)...just called to ask. They drew for a beta and for baseline cbc and metabolics in case we do the mtx.

I'm still on the fence...my dr made it sound like no big deal and said it's preferable to surgery in regards to side effects and my future fertility. I read up on other women's experiences and it sounds like most women handle it fine and don't have any long term effects.

Dh has no added input...gave his usual whatever-you-think-is-best reply .

I'm just praying my beta is low enough so I don't even have to worry about it.

They went from 2738 on Fri to 2320 on Monday so there's hope!

I'm starting to feel like all I do anymore is sit around waiting for the phone to ring! Sheesh!!

Ugh, ugh, ugh...beta went *up* !!! I did not even know that was possible after it starts to go down (same lab all 3x) .

Friday- 2738
    Monday- 2320
    Wednesday- 2914

I'm going to go ahead and get the shot in the morning. I'm having right-sided burning pain and it has been increasing the last couple of days. In light of my temp and beta increase obviously my body is growing cells somewhere...with my uterus being empty, heavier bleeding today, and the right-sided pain I'm feeling like this is the best route. I'm so ready to be done and hope one dose is all that's needed.

After tomorrow I go for a beta in 3 days and another one 3 days after that. If my betas drop 15% or more then I just have to go weekly until they're below 5. If they have not dropped I'll have to get another shot and betas.

I'm just glad to be moving forward!

I am praying for you Kelly.

Meg (30), DH (40) & the 4 J's (6.5, 4.5, 3, 1.5)

Praying that this treatment will help you!!

Tons of for you Kelly