Thread: Help! Supply is dying!

Default Help! Supply is dying!

Ok, need help reviving supply ASAP! Between stress of twins being readmitted, moving and not having help with them because DH is dealing with the chaos of the move, and I have not really been eating as much as I should while I take care of 3 little ones, my supply is crashing.

Mom is bringing me some mothers milk tea which is what my LC recommended, I pumped last night got a total of 2.5 oz, this morning I started to pump and was barely getting anything then DS woke up so trying to nurse him now.

Hospital pedi had me add formula after feedings since Friday when they were discharged, they had phototherapy done due to jaundice issues, and he was concerned with their weight.

I feel like I am quickly drying up and I do not want that

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

Your babies are a week old? Have you been nursing them both? Are they latching well? It is very unusual for your milk supply to be drying up now. It would be more normal for your milk to just be coming in. Do you think that could be the issue?

The best thing you can do is nurse as much as possible. If the babies aren't latching well, pump after nursing them and give them either pumped milk or formula. I hope you have a few more hands there helping you!

I agree with nursing as often as possible. Pump after feedings if you feel you need to. It is common for some doctors to recommend formula supplementation for jaundice, but it's not usually necessary. It's also normal for babies to lose weight for the first week due to fluid excess from IV fluids given during delivery. If you feel like you need to supplement use a supplemental nursing system so that your breasts are still being stimulated. Your milk should just be coming in, so it's possible you just haven't gotten your supply yet. Lots and lots of skin to skin. I can't stress this enough.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

Nursing both, milk came in during original hospital stay, breasts were very full then to the point where I had to use nursing pads in the hospital. I was able to pump enough for all but one feeding for both during their readmit.

My breasts don't feel as full now, I am putting them on as much as possible, the few times I have been able to pump I get very little. I have almost no help, so juggling these 2 and my 2yr old who has recently been through a ton of changes with moving, having 2 new siblings, and no longer being in daycare it's been rough.

So I am doing the mothers milk tea 3xs a day, trying to eat and drink more, wish I could squeeze in more pumping, I go to my LC again Friday to weight check them. I mostly ditched the formula, ended up giving them each a 2oz bottle last night after lots of attempting to nurse and they still did not seem satisfied but an improvement from what they were doing over the weekend at least.

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!