Thread: cord blood banking questions

Default cord blood banking questions

We are thinking of banking our baby's cord blood, but I have yet to meet anyone who has done this before. Is this pretty rare? Has anyone on APA banked their baby's cord blood? Thoughts or advice? Thank you

Mel (39) DH (37) Expecting a boy after 12 months of TTC!
    April 2013 http://www.saferpills.org/

it was all the rage when my #5 was born 9yrs ago. nearly everyone in my online birth group banked or donated their cord blood. We donated DD's through the hospital program. But i havent known many people to do it since, and the hospital no longer did it when #6 was born. i dont know why. It might be worth finding out why it was popular, but no longer is. i know that the retrieval and storage is expensive, and some people ran into bigger fees than expected later on, which is probably part of it. I dont know why donation programs would have stopped though.

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    it was all the rage when my #5 was born 9yrs ago. nearly everyone in my online birth group banked or donated their cord blood. We donated DD's through the hospital program. But i havent known many people to do it since, and the hospital no longer did it when #6 was born. i dont know why. It might be worth finding out why it was popular, but no longer is. i know that the retrieval and storage is expensive, and some people ran into bigger fees than expected later on, which is probably part of it. I dont know why donation programs would have stopped though.
    This is a big concern of mine. It seems like it use to be a lot more popular than it is today, and there must be a good reason why. Thank you.

Blog Entries

We've donated with all three children. Banked cells from your child aren't really useful for your child as they will have the same genetic code (so have the same built in problems) but could be useful for yourself or siblings. Maybe that is why it is no longer very popular.

Edit: Here's a helpful link from webmd.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

I would have done it no questions asked if it weren't so expensive (at least for us at the time). I don't think there would be any risks though don't quote me on that other than the expense. I hope you can get the answers you are looking for.

Lindsay (25) James (32) Cody (5) Sophia (2)

I remember it being very popular before last time I was pregnant. From what I have been reading, it seems good to not clamp the cord right away and let the placenta stop pulsing first. I Still need to read more but that might be this way i go if the research is there.

Here's a Via Cord link that might help you chose. http://www.viacord.com/why-bank/

Lindsay (25) James (32) Cody (5) Sophia (2)

I planned to donate, but they weren't able to collect enough for it to be usable.

I had planned on donating, but there were too many complications with DS's delivery so it wasn't possible.
    Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by Geneari View Post
    I remember it being very popular before last time I was pregnant. From what I have been reading, it seems good to not clamp the cord right away and let the placenta stop pulsing first. I Still need to read more but that might be this way i go if the research is there.
    This is what we did. I didn't really research cord blood banking because I knew we wouldn't be doing it, but I've been told the number of illnesses cord blood can actually be useful for is very small--don't quote me on that though, just something I've been told.

We did it with Viacord for my ds but couldn't get enough to bank for my dd

We left ours at the hospital. It is too expensive to keep one in banks here and there is no known to us organisation that accepts such donation. So we told hospital to make a decision about it. They also asked if we wanted my placenta. We said no.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

I attended a legal talk on this back in November. The speaker (a law professor and mom) made a compelling case that private blood banks are fraudulent businesses, preying upon parents' vulnerabilities (concern for their children) when there is almost no possibility that that process will ever be beneficial to the family. I can't remember the numbers- but they were appalling- I want to say that the likelihood that doing this might benefit a family was less than 1%. As I remember all too well the emotions cord blood banking commercials and print ads evoked in me as an expectant mom, I was horrified by what I learned and left unsure how the people behind these "businesses" sleep at night.

If you google a bit, you'll see that american academy of pediatrics and the american college of obstetrics and gynecology advise against private cord blood banking.
    Last edited by glwygrl; 01-17-2014 at 07:55 AM.

We chose to donate to with a research option allowed.
    Julie, DH: W, DS: Mason, GGB Trips Amelia, Ellanor & Noah 9/10 - 3/11
    FFS "Baby C" 4/23 - 5/26 Sibs Q,Z,J & K

We did it for DD1 because it was very popular back then. We chose not to do it with the next 2 which I felt slightly guilty about but not really considering I am not sure how useful it is. I am glad we have at least ONE that can possibly used for any of us so in that sense I feel it was worth it. Glad we don't have 3 accounts....
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (20M)

Thank you everyone, this is very helpful. We have decided to donate the cord blood.

Quote Originally Posted by glwygrl View Post
    I attended a legal talk on this back in November. The speaker (a law professor and mom) made a compelling case that private blood banks are fraudulent businesses, preying upon parents' vulnerabilities (concern for their children) when there is almost no possibility that that process will ever be beneficial to the family. I can't remember the numbers- but they were appalling- I want to say that the likelihood that doing this might benefit a family was less than 1%. As I remember all too well the emotions cord blood banking commercials and print ads evoked in me as an expectant mom, I was horrified by what I learned and left unsure how the people behind these "businesses" sleep at night.

If you google a bit, you'll see that american academy of pediatrics and the american college of obstetrics and gynecology advise against private cord blood banking.
    ^This has been my suspicion and the more I read about it the more I felt like these companies were preying on the fears of new parents. I don't know how they sleep at night either.

I banked both of my children's cord blood. I used a little known company for my first baby but used CBR with my son.

Kristy (32), Kirk (39), Jodi (4), Joey (16 months) and our dogs, Oreo and Wiggles