Thread: Anyone give cow's milk before a year?

Default Anyone give cow's milk before a year?

Not in place of breast milk but in addition to? My supply is totally regulated to her so I have a hard time getting extra milk to pump. She doesn't get many bottles but DH and I switch nights. Sometimes she gets up 2xs/night/. Sometimes it will be 1. I only have enough milk for 1 bottle/night so if she gets up more than one time he has to bring her in to me which screws up the whole point of switching nights. Anyway, it's not like she is waking up because she is hungry when it's the 2nd time since she only does it occasionally. She will be 1 in about 6 weeks. She has had yogurt and a few sneaks of ice cream so she has been exposed to cow's milk.

Thoughts?
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I would be wary, we started yougurt around 8months (this LO we'll probably make it one of his/her first foods). The way yogurt is cultured is different than milk. N has absolutely no issues with yogurt, cheese, etc but he is very sensitive to milk. He's 2.5 now and we still can't give him more than a few ounces. Due to that, probably not. Do I think it would be awful to do so? Nah

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

my pediatrician always told me that milk in small amounts once they are eating food is fine. I wouldn't let her down 8 ounces, but 2 ounces with a meal wouldn't hurt a thing...we always started around 9 months or so...

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

I have heard pedis allow milk at 11 months. But yogurt is cultured and easy to digest so it is different. I know when I babysat some of my nieces and nephews when their mom was away, I would mix plain yogurt with water, put it in the bottle and shake it very well. They took it in lieu of milk but Bulgarians are known to eat a lot of yogurt and introduce it at 6 months, give to infants over 6 mo daily so the babies are used to the taste. You know her best, maybe DH can give her one of those bottles during the day and see how she tolerates it. I know how sleep deprived I was with 2, so I was probably gonna try regular milk for my sanity LOL assuming DH ever agreed to do nights
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I started some time between 11 and 12 months with both. But with DS I really shouldn't have. It should have been a red flag for me that for the first few months I had to cut out dairy when we BFed. He ended up with recurrent ear infections between 18 and 24 months that I think could have been avoided or decreased if he were dairy free. He also gets eczema from dairy and is likely lactose intolerant (allergy tests for dairy were negative). I am not saying that these dairy issues were caused by early introduction of dairy, just that I should have seen the red flags to avoid it altogether. DD has no problems with dairy.

She's probably ok to have some, formula might be a better choice though. I think the biggest issue is it is difficult to digest and can cause intestinal bleeding and lead to anemia. But a few ounces every once in awhile when she's so close to a year probably wouldn't be a problem. You could use a kefir drink, if she'll take it.

We started at 9 months with a small amount. Then when she was drinking bottles (when I was at work) we started doing 1/4 whole milk during the 9th month, 1/2 whole milk during the 10th month and 3/4 whole milk the 11th month and she was on just whole milk at 1 year in bottles because I was having such a hard time keeping up with pumping.
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Personally, I would not give cow milk prior to one year. I'd rather get up once a night to breastfeed rather than risk it. I didn't let my children cow milk until closer to 18 mos - 2 years because the first two who I gave it to at 1 year had major problems because of it including anemia, constipation, and liver dysfunction. I guess if your other kids did ok with milk then the risk is small, but I think offering cow milk too soon is a bigger problem than people really understand. I had an article about this, but I can't seem to locate it right now.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by tanyachap View Post
    I have heard pedis allow milk at 11 months. But yogurt is cultured and easy to digest so it is different. I know when I babysat some of my nieces and nephews when their mom was away, I would mix plain yogurt with water, put it in the bottle and shake it very well. They took it in lieu of milk but Bulgarians are known to eat a lot of yogurt and introduce it at 6 months, give to infants over 6 mo daily so the babies are used to the taste. You know her best, maybe DH can give her one of those bottles during the day and see how she tolerates it. I know how sleep deprived I was with 2, so I was probably gonna try regular milk for my sanity LOL assuming DH ever agreed to do nights
    Interesting idea with the yogurt. I usually mix her yogurt with a puree so I am not sure she would like the taste of plain yogurt and I am afraid I will turn her off to cow's milk but it's a thought. Thanks!

It would seriously only be like 1-2oz every other day if that. I would definitely try it out during the day before doing an overnight thing. As it is we add a little water and cereal to her overnight bottle to try to make the breast milk stretch a bit.

She has had a little vanilla ice cream so she has had that exposure. My other girls had no issues switching to milk. What about almond or goats milk? Would I be better off with that? I don't want to do formula.

She has a pedi appt on the 23rd. I will probably run it by her before doing anything anyway. I think I have 4 bags of frozen BM in the freezer but I am stingy with them lol!

Quote Originally Posted by beanpop View Post
    We started at 9 months with a small amount. Then when she was drinking bottles (when I was at work) we started doing 1/4 whole milk during the 9th month, 1/2 whole milk during the 10th month and 3/4 whole milk the 11th month and she was on just whole milk at 1 year in bottles because I was having such a hard time keeping up with pumping.

This was my Pedi's recommendation. Start introducing cow's milk at 9 months so that they would be transitioned to whole milk by their first birthday.
    Growing fast... DD1 (6) & DD2 (4)
    Forever loved, forever missed... Twin Girls with us for 19w3d 6/12/06

What about almond or goats milk? Would I be better off with that? I don't want to do formula.
    I think that raw goat milk would be great. It is easier to digest. I have heard of many people making baby formula from raw goat milk. I would stay away from milk subs as they are processed quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ljs318 View Post
    This was my Pedi's recommendation. Start introducing cow's milk at 9 months so that they would be transitioned to whole milk by their first birthday.
    If I hadn't been working out of the home 5 days a week and able to nurse her all the time this wouldn't have even really come up. BUT I wasn't pumping enough and already having to supplement with formula after going back into the office when she turned 9 months that I would rather transition her to whole milk instead of formula.
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Goat's milk is much better than cow's. Cow milk protein is really heavy to digest even for adults. I would be very cautious.
    I would rather give formula to a baby at 9 month than whole milk as formula is still more adjusted to baby's needs and is much easier on the baby's stomach.
    However, if your baby is nearly 1, you can try whole milk.
    In order to have the baby get used to whole milk, you don't necessarily have to introduce it early as in drink. You can add a small part when you make cereal for your baby.

Of course, if you decide to introduce way before 1, approach with caution.
    Last edited by cheeksy; 05-21-2013 at 01:23 AM.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

We started adding it in very slowly at 11 months per the doctors recommendation and had no problems at all.

Six weeks is so close to a year that I would go for it. Back in the olden days, ie my infancy, my mom fed us formula for a few months and then right to regular milk. Of obviously the guidelines have changed but I would have to imagine if your other two kids are fine with milk I would test the waters with #3. Good luck
    (I was just thinking about this exact topic tonight with my own situation)

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (6) Isabe11e (5) and C0rbin (3.5) Vio1et (almost 2)

So far I have not done it yet. She can be so fussy that I am afraid it will set her off! I will need to try it early in the day but I don't even know if I would be able to tell since she has been so fussy lately. I have been pumping more and getting a lot! I always get 3oz (total at night, from one side in the morning) which is the exact amount she gets in a bottle so I have been able to replace whatever she is drinking.

I don't know if she is on the cusp of a milestone or teething or growth spurt but ugh the fussiness is getting to me! I hope it passes soon!

We started at 11/10m adjusted with the trio with the ok of their GI doctor. They are on a thickener too. We started whole milk yogurt a couple weeks before starting the cows milk but they are also formula fed.
    Julie, DH: W, DS: Mason, GGB Trips Amelia, Ellanor & Noah
    FFS "Baby C" disrupted fost/adopt of sibs Q,Z,J & K 9/10-3/11

I've always been under the impression that the reason they say not to give cow's milk before a year is because they don't want people completely switching over to cows' milk instead of giving their infants breast milk or formula, not because cows' milk is inherently harmful for infants. Since you're only planning on occasionally doing one nighttime bottle of cows' milk, I wouldn't be concerned about it nutritionally. And yogurt is fine for a baby her age. My guess, though, is you might run into trouble in a different way. Cows' milk tastes very different, and is not nearly as sweet, as human breast milk, so she might reject it. My DD initially wanted nothing to do with a bottle of cows' milk. We had to mix it in with breast milk in gradually increasing quantities to get her to accept it, and the first several times it had to be tiny amounts of cows' milk, or she didn't want it. Hope your DD likes it better than mine did!

We had a pedi visit last week and she said to start in small amounts at 11 months....which she will be in 2 days! I can't believe she is almost 1!

So I guess we will start soon. I think she got a taste of it recently by stealing her sister's cup of milk that had been on the floor None of my kids have had issues with the taste of cow's milk and I nursed them all past a year. I definitely want to start during the day. She has been SO fussy lately. I am reluctant to try anything until she chills out a bit!