Thread: Slow weight gain

Default Slow weight gain

I apologize if this has been asked recently... I tried for about 6 weeks to bf mg first. He screamed the entire time, wasn't gaining weight, and the whole household was miserable. My baby is 12 days old. He weighed 8lb 8oz at birth. He was 7lb 13 oz when we went home at 2 days old, was 7lb 14 oz at his first dr appointment at 4 days old. However, he was only 8lb even yesterday at 11 days. We're going back Tuesday for another weight check. In all other ways, he seems fine - wetting and soiling diapers, is content between feeds, etc. Did anyone else have issues with slow weight gain early that DIDN'T end with switching to formula? I'm frustrated to be going down the old path again :/

Nolan was a crummy gainer too.

If everything else is fine, I wouldn't stress too much. .Maybe do more frequent nursing sessions til the next weight check and see if that helps any.

My dd was a slow gainer and even lost weight 3 times because she wasnt getting enough even though I thought she was fine...plenty of wet diapers, acting fine, etc.

I did have to supplement for a little bit, I used a SNS because I wanted to BF. after 4 months of struggling, I got a proper lactation consultant and she fixed DD's latch and then everything was fine.

Blog Entries

What is the weight gain that the pediatrician is looking for? I'm not familiar with those numbers. My first was TINY until 15 months. The pediatrician said as long as the weight numbers went up, there was no need to worry. But, my DD's case could have been different than your DS's.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

They want 4-8 oz a week. He only gained 2.

Sorry, we are supplementing with the twins. Continuing to BF as much as possible and topping them off with an ounce or 2 of formula at the end. But they were losing weight. Trying to keep my supply up by nursing as much as possible, pumping if they miss a feeding, taking fenugreek and lactation cookies.

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!