Thread: Do you avoid fruits?

Default Do you avoid fruits?

I use My Fitness Pal to track calories. I always go over the recommended sugar even if I only eat 1/3 -1/2 of recommended carbs. For example, today I had 1 Kiwi, 1 atauflo mango (the smaller yellow one) and a small piece of watermelon (1/4 circle less than 1in thick). I am already way over the recommended 30 g. I did have some other few grams of sugar came from onion and carrots in my salad, pecan nuts (raw) and an egg. I just really do not think that I am going overboard on fruits. I still stay within my calorie goal .... But I blow the sugar part every day. Do you simply not eat fruit at all or limit it a lot?

Make sure you get enough protein, and the rest should fall into place. I've never bothered with limiting fruits; the benefits outweigh the possible cons. Limit processed foods involving sugar, and you're good to go. Are you doing low carb? 30 g. is quite low.

I wouldn't limit your fruit. Fruit is healthy and has many great benefits to it. I would just try to limit how much processed sugar you get from other foods and drinks and I would think you would be okay!
    *Sara-28**Lee-28* 11/21/09 DX with PCOS 05/10

**TTC since 08/01/14. 1500mg of Metformin and 2.5mg Femara**

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Make sure you get enough protein, and the rest should fall into place. I've never bothered with limiting fruits; the benefits outweigh the possible cons. Limit processed foods involving sugar, and you're good to go. Are you doing low carb? 30 g. is quite low.
    I get plenty of protein, I mostly follow Paleo Diet (with some modifications for my thyroid issues) and occasionally indulge in a slice of bread. MFP recommends 208 grams of carbs per day for my calorie goal (1510 cal/day) including 30 grams of sugar. I usually end up with about 100 grams of carbs or less and 60-100 grams of protein (MFP recommends 57 grams). But if I have any fruits, I can never stay below 30 grams of sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by SaraJP0804 View Post
    I wouldn't limit your fruit. Fruit is healthy and has many great benefits to it. I would just try to limit how much processed sugar you get from other foods and drinks and I would think you would be okay!
    Our diet is really clean in that regard. We do not eat any processed sugar. We only use raw honey and (rarely) raw coconut crystals.

I don't limit fruit. I do limit gluten while not avoiding it completely. I also limit processed sugar. I just try to focus on veggies and protein for meals and try to make good choices the rest of the time (but don't beat myself up if I have a brownie ). But the biggest thing for me, I think, is water! Plain water- not tea, milk, juice, flavored water, etc. I drink at least a gallon of water a day, but I feel the best and lose more weight if I drink closer to 1 1/3 gallons.

I limit some fruits (Bananas, pineapple, and watermelon etc).
    Katie~
    DD1 (7) DD2 (4) DS1 (22 months) Baby #4 EDD 7/13/14

I do not limit my fruits and do not count my sugar intake (because most of mine are from fruit). I count my calories and my protein and everything else seems to fall in place for me.
    Mommy to Lilliana (10/2006) & Summer (10/2011)!

I sort of do. I am not a huge fruit eater anyway so I don't have to try very hard to limit them. I try not to eat fruits that are too high in sugar like bananas. I am doing a low carb diet so while fruits = carbs they are good carbs but I still count them. I try to stay under 80g carbs/day. I eat apples mostly and berries but usually it's only 1 serving so it works. And if I go over 80g because I had a fruit I don't beat myself up over it. Ironically I lost weight better when I was eating an apple w/PB for lunch (which is about 20g of carbs) than when I would have a ham & cheese sandwich equaling 10g of carbs.

You can look up which fruits have the lowest GI (glycemic index #) and stick to those more. They will not have as much of an effect on your blood sugar levels. I am VERY sensitive to sugar in fruits but I find the lower GI ones don't have the same effect on me. The higher ones make me REALLY hungry a few hours after I eat them.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I have to tell you...I have lost almost 60lbs since June last year and all I did was eat healthy foods and try to stay around 1200-1400 calories/day. I eat as much fruit and vegetables as I want, without adding a bunch of things that add calories/carbs. I didn't work out or anything. If you can just get in the habit of ONLY grabbing healthy foods to eat, you can still eat quite a bit. I eat eggs and a piece of toast every day for breakfast, either a huge salad or a heaping bowl of steamed veggies for lunch and probably average about 3 pieces of fruit for snacks in a day. (whether it's smoothies, fruit salad or just a piece of fruit) I eat pretty normal dinners but just watch the portion size. I don't eat pastas very often and I avoid processed foods and other sweets. I've been maintaining the weight loss so far and am LOVING it!! I am 10 lbs below my pre-1st-pregnancy weight and wearing a single digit jean size again!!
    ~Andrea~

Nope. When I actually count points and keep track, I will lose some weight on WW. And on their plan, most fruits and veggeis are zero points. Only ones I think of that are points are potatoes/sweet potatoes, peas and corn. I would only count fruit if I had like 5 bananas. One banana....nope.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yes which sucks but, I am doing this as a diet guided by my doctor. I am allowed 50 carbs per day which is super low but, I have benefits. If I plan carefully I can have a bit of fruit.

Interesting replies. Thanks everyone.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Nope, not whole fruits. I just broke 50 pounds lost today so I'd say eating fruit doesn't stymie my weight loss!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Do you think you are sensitive to sugar and need low GI foods? Because if you are not, I would not worry about it. I am not sensitive to sugar and have the sweet tooth quite often. However, my body absorbs fats like a sponge. I have to put away the nuts in the garage not to tempt me in the pantry. I can eat complex carbs, unprocessed sugar and lean protein for 1800-1900 calories a day with work out and be fine, but if I am not careful with my fats, I start seeing it on the scale. In fact, I went to 2 kid birthday parties (kids) and had cake and had cashews at home the last weekend, and the scale was up 2 lbs on Monday. Today I am back to normal but really every person is more sensitive to something when it comes to weight management. IMO and IME it is very important to identify your weaknesses and avoid them. Fruits have a lot of benefits and unprocessed sugar has benefits too. I would not avoid unless I know for a fact that my body needs low GI.
    Last edited by tanyachap; 05-10-2013 at 12:04 AM.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Quote Originally Posted by DucksLikeRain View Post
    Nope, not whole fruits. I just broke 50 pounds lost today so I'd say eating fruit doesn't stymie my weight loss!
    Woohoo! Way to go and congratulations!! It feels so good, doesn't it!!
    ~Andrea~

Just as an FYI - MFP tends to set the protein levels low. When I was actively working out and trying to lose weight, I was eating somewhere in the 80 - 100 gram range for protein, and my highest weight was 123 lbs. And I never tracked sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by tanyachap View Post
    Do you think you are sensitive to sugar and need low GI foods? Because if you are not, I would not worry about it. I am not sensitive to sugar and have the sweet tooth quite often. However, my body absorbs fats like a sponge. I have to put away the nuts in the garage not to tempt me in the pantry. I can eat complex carbs, unprocessed sugar and lean protein for 1800-1900 calories a day with work out and be fine, but if I am not careful with my fats, I start seeing it on the scale. In fact, I went to 2 kid birthday parties (kids) and had cake and had cashews at home the last weekend, and the scale was up 2 lbs on Monday. Today I am back to normal but really every person is more sensitive to something when it comes to weight management. IMO and IME it is very important to identify your weaknesses and avoid them. Fruits have a lot of benefits and unprocessed sugar has benefits too. I would not avoid unless I know for a fact that my body needs low GI.
    I have no reason to believe I am sensitive to sugar. We just do not use it at the house at all because it causes issues for DS. I am going based on your list of gointrogens you sent me and so far I feel like I am back on the losing track (I have literally been stuck for the last month).

Quote Originally Posted by impatient View Post
    I have no reason to believe I am sensitive to sugar. We just do not use it at the house at all because it causes issues for DS. I am going based on your list of gointrogens you sent me and so far I feel like I am back on the losing track (I have literally been stuck for the last month).
    I am so happy you are losing weight. I would not worry about sugar then. Obviously you should not eat eat too much of it but your sugar intake sounds very good.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)