Thread: My abdominal walls separated, what excercise will help?

Default My abdominal walls separated, what excercise will help?

Hi,
    My abdominal walls have separated so much that I am frequently asked if I am pregnant!! I can't do a tummy tuck because of the huge amount of scar tissue I have inside of me so I am left with excercise. Has anyone dealt with this before? What type of excercise worked for you?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sakura Guest

The Tupler Technique/Method.

this is ust something I foudn really quick (I'm running out the door.)
    I have not personally expeienced this but I am a personal trainer and I'm certified in pre-post natal training. Also, do alot of core and functional training.

The first exercise to try is simply pulling your belly button in towards your back. Hold for five seconds and release. Keep breathing as you hold and try and work up to 5-10 of these contractions several times a day.

Basic breath: Lie on your back with your arms at your sides, knees bent, feet resting on the floor. Inhale and exhale a few times. Don't flatten your back or tilt your pelvis, just let the natural curve in your back remain. Breathe in slowly and deeply. Now, breathe out and tighten your tummy muscles, pulling your navel towards your spine.

Remember to concentrate on contracting the muscles below your belly button without flattening your back. When you are able to contract and relax your abdominal muscles without moving your back, you have learned to properly isolate the correct muscles. You can then try the first Sahrmann exercise.

Sahrmann Exercise #1
    Lie on the floor with knees bent and arms at your side. Hold your tummy in by doing your basic breath contraction. Keeping one knee bent, slowly slide the opposite leg out until it is straight with the floor, and then slide it back up to bent knee position. Relax your tummy.

Repeat with the other leg. Remember not to flatten your back and to keep the curve of your spine relaxed. When your abdominal muscles are contracted it helps to stabilize your pelvis while your legs and lower tummy muscles work. This prevents strain in your back muscles, and trains your abdominal muscles to protect and support your spine. When you can comfortably do 20 legs slides on each side you are ready to move on to exercise #2.

Sahrmann Exercise #2
    Lie on floor with knees bent and arms at your side. Pull in on your tummy and hold, then raise one knee towards your chest and slowly straighten it out parallel to the floor—about 2-3 inches above the floor without touching it. Return extended leg to starting position, knees bent, feet resting on floor, tummy relaxed.

Repeat on opposite side, keeping one knee bent as you extend the other leg. Work up to five repetitions on each side without stopping, building to 20 repetitions or more on each side before moving on to exercise #3.

Sahrmann Exercise #3
    Use you basic breath as you bring your legs up one at a time towards your body with knees bent. Keep one leg bent as you slowly lower the other leg down to the floor and back up. Repeat on the opposite side, working up to ten times each leg before moving on.

Sahrmann Exercise #4
    Use your basic breath as you bring both legs up, knees bent. Slowly extend one leg out, parallel with the floor but not touching it. Return the leg to the starting position and repeat with opposite leg. Work up to 10 repetitions each leg.

With each repetition remember to keep breathing, contract your tummy as you move, and don't let you back pop up. If the arch in your back keeps popping up during the exercise, then you're not strong enough to progress to this level, and need to go back to the previous exercise until you build greater strength.

When you can repeat this exercise 20 times on each leg without discomfort or arching your back, move on to exercise #5.

Sahrmann Exercise #5
    Bring both legs to your chest using your basic breath one at a time. Straighten both legs up in the air, at a 90-degree angle from your hips. Keeping your legs together, slowly lower them down toward the floor. Only lower your legs as far as you feel comfortable doing so.

If you feel your back beginning to arch, bring your legs back up and lower legs again only as far as you can without arching the back. Work up to 20 repetitions.
    If you notice back pain with this exercise, discontinue doing #5 and maintain at level #4.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

^^those are the exercises I was given by a trainer after my last baby. They're great!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Quote Originally Posted by GA1977 View Post
    this is ust something I foudn really quick (I'm running out the door.)
    I have not personally expeienced this but I am a personal trainer and I'm certified in pre-post natal training. Also, do alot of core and functional training.

The first exercise to try is simply pulling your belly button in towards your back. Hold for five seconds and release. Keep breathing as you hold and try and work up to 5-10 of these contractions several times a day.

Basic breath: Lie on your back with your arms at your sides, knees bent, feet resting on the floor. Inhale and exhale a few times. Don't flatten your back or tilt your pelvis, just let the natural curve in your back remain. Breathe in slowly and deeply. Now, breathe out and tighten your tummy muscles, pulling your navel towards your spine.

Remember to concentrate on contracting the muscles below your belly button without flattening your back. When you are able to contract and relax your abdominal muscles without moving your back, you have learned to properly isolate the correct muscles. You can then try the first Sahrmann exercise.

Sahrmann Exercise #1
    Lie on the floor with knees bent and arms at your side. Hold your tummy in by doing your basic breath contraction. Keeping one knee bent, slowly slide the opposite leg out until it is straight with the floor, and then slide it back up to bent knee position. Relax your tummy.

Repeat with the other leg. Remember not to flatten your back and to keep the curve of your spine relaxed. When your abdominal muscles are contracted it helps to stabilize your pelvis while your legs and lower tummy muscles work. This prevents strain in your back muscles, and trains your abdominal muscles to protect and support your spine. When you can comfortably do 20 legs slides on each side you are ready to move on to exercise #2.

Sahrmann Exercise #2
    Lie on floor with knees bent and arms at your side. Pull in on your tummy and hold, then raise one knee towards your chest and slowly straighten it out parallel to the floor—about 2-3 inches above the floor without touching it. Return extended leg to starting position, knees bent, feet resting on floor, tummy relaxed.

Repeat on opposite side, keeping one knee bent as you extend the other leg. Work up to five repetitions on each side without stopping, building to 20 repetitions or more on each side before moving on to exercise #3.

Sahrmann Exercise #3
    Use you basic breath as you bring your legs up one at a time towards your body with knees bent. Keep one leg bent as you slowly lower the other leg down to the floor and back up. Repeat on the opposite side, working up to ten times each leg before moving on.

Sahrmann Exercise #4
    Use your basic breath as you bring both legs up, knees bent. Slowly extend one leg out, parallel with the floor but not touching it. Return the leg to the starting position and repeat with opposite leg. Work up to 10 repetitions each leg.

With each repetition remember to keep breathing, contract your tummy as you move, and don't let you back pop up. If the arch in your back keeps popping up during the exercise, then you're not strong enough to progress to this level, and need to go back to the previous exercise until you build greater strength.

When you can repeat this exercise 20 times on each leg without discomfort or arching your back, move on to exercise #5.

Sahrmann Exercise #5
    Bring both legs to your chest using your basic breath one at a time. Straighten both legs up in the air, at a 90-degree angle from your hips. Keeping your legs together, slowly lower them down toward the floor. Only lower your legs as far as you feel comfortable doing so.

If you feel your back beginning to arch, bring your legs back up and lower legs again only as far as you can without arching the back. Work up to 20 repetitions.
    If you notice back pain with this exercise, discontinue doing #5 and maintain at level #4.
    I'm copying these for after #4 comes...I'm fairly positive I have some extra stretching and abdominal wall distension I didn't have before. 4 kids in 5 years will do that to ya...

Meg (30), DH (40) & the 4 J's (Almost 7, 5, 3.5, 21 months)

Thanks so much!! I was doing the pilates and my obliques got hard but my abs are still pretty weak. I am going to incorporate this into my workout starting Saturday.

Should I stop doing crunches and the leg lifts, etc?

What Amber said AND. . .

I had a horrible core strength problem and would recommend seeing a physical therapist. They helped me work on some great core exercise and posture that helped my hips. I couldn't do it without their help, since Ihave horrible awareness of where my body is in space.
    Kate, mama to Madi (4/18/08) and Jacob (10/8/10)

Quote Originally Posted by April1975 View Post
    Thanks so much!! I was doing the pilates and my obliques got hard but my abs are still pretty weak. I am going to incorporate this into my workout starting Saturday.

Should I stop doing crunches and the leg lifts, etc?
    There are some moves you should not do because they will make it worse. I have heard good things about the Tupler Technique mentioned above. Also, Lindsay Brin with Moms Into Fitness does a lot of work with pp moms and she has a video called the CFS method that is great for ab separation/distacis recti. Time and the proper exercise can usually heal DR though!

My BIL is a trainer, he recommended diagonal crunches, like if your right elbow was trying to reach for your left foot, for example. Also he recommended the core work-outs too, told me to google olympic training techniques. The idea is to get as many muscle groups working together at once (head to toe), to increase metabolism and heart rate, to burn more fat and tone more thoroughly. Also once your body acclimates to those work-outs, add free-weights to keep challenging your body. I'm due right around Christmas or so, and I plan on being in a bikini next summer (if I'm serious about those techniques!). and you are not alone!!!
    Last edited by pumpkinpeejays; 09-23-2012 at 07:08 AM.
    Leigh(36)/Matt(40)/Sonja Lily(4)/Damien Andrew(1.5)

http://www.momsintofitness.com/pregn...-flat-stomachs - Here is the info I told you about! If you have DR you DO NOT want to do any twisting motions because it will make it worse!

I just wanted to give a quick update. I have been wearing control underwear, every single day (not cute) but it has started the healing process. I am down to a finger width distance with the abs separation now. Yay! I have also started working out to a video in the mornings with DH, as well as going to the gym one day a week. I wish the lbs would drop more (I have only lost 10lbs) but at least I have toned up some. I no longer look pregnant which is great! I still have a tummy, but now it looks more like, "hey, she had a couple kids" vs, "would you like to sit down miss?" so I can live with that, for now.

I am still 20-25 lbs overweight. When I get at least 20 off, I plan to put up some before and after pics. :o)