Thread: Advice on transitioning out of swaddle

Question Advice on transitioning out of swaddle

oh man.... we have a "problem." We've swaddled Natalie for naps and night time sleep since she was able to be swaddled. Since she started rolling, she has been moving around a whole lot in her crib. Meaning... when I come to BF her in the middle of the night she will have done a complete 180 reversing where her head and feet were! LOL Well, this morning when I went in there to get her, she had rolld onto her tummy and had wiggled enough to get her arm out of her swaddle. Now that she managed to roll over in her crib while swaddled I know we have to start working on NOT swaddling anymore and I scared! She's such a good sleeper and I'm scared that will change with not being able to swaddle her anymore :-/ Any advice on how to make this a smooth transition from parents who have BTDT? Encouraging stories about your own experience would be appreciated!!!

Me: Robin Follow As Natalie Blooms DH: Aaron

We started with one arm at a time, then moving it to below both arms. Even in the velcro swaddles, she could get out. We moved to sleep sacks after we got her off the swaddle. It took about a week and she slept good. Now, at 22 months, she still sleeps good. Except for the darned binki.

Good luck!
    Phoebe Grace 6-22-11; 37.5" and 26.2# at 2 years old! She is my wild child!
    Me & Geoff, 40; DD Phoebe, our June Bug

let me tell you I wish there were magic that could help the stopping swaddle situation...my last baby was swaddled till she was darn near 8 months old because she never slept at night, not ever.

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

I would also suggest the sleep sacks. DD never wanted to be swaddled (I really think she would have found a way to get out of a straightjacket!) but DS liked it. We moved him to the sleep sack/swaddlers so we could put his arms free but put the velcro part tight around his body so he still had some of the swaddled feeling. These are the ones we used: http://www.amazon.com/SleepSack-Cott...dle+sleep+sack They come in bigger sizes as well so you can probably find them in the right size for Natalie.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Nolan loved the swaddle and I mean LOVED. We swaddled for what felt like forever. We started with letting his feet loose, he was less interested in having his feet swaddled. Than we would just put it on him loosely. Eventually he just got used to wiggling out of it and didn't need it at all. Though, the sleep sacks that some of theo ther ladies mentioned is a great idea!!!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I took a different approach, I dropped it for one nap a day. I think it was the morning one, b/c they always fell asleep easily. After that I went to bedtime and then last nap. I was so much easier than expected. I really stressed and it wasn't a big deal to them at all! Good luck!
    My 3 yo cuties!

It always seemed way more complex than what it ended up. With my swaddle addict I first started with one arm out at a nap and then after a few days took out both arms. I kept the legs swaddled a bit longer just to keep that same rhythm of bedtime going. He sleep was mildly disrupted. Good luck!

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (6) Isabe11e (5) and C0rbin (3.5) Vio1et (almost 2)

With mine we went from swaddle to sleep sack, where their arms could be left out. Mine slept like crap either way though so I guess it didn't matter much. lol
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)