Thread: Tearing each other down

Default Tearing each other down

I don't understand the desire to tear other believers in Christ down. On my Facebook page yesterday there was a post from a ministry whose message is specifically against members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I know that my beliefs differ somewhat from other Christian beliefs but I do believe that Jesus Christ is my Savior and the only means that I can be redeemed. Shouldn't that be our focus so we can find nonbelievers in Christ and try to bring them to Christ, instead of tearing other believers down? I just don't understand that mentality I guess. I find it so discouraging.

I was hoping to find some friendlier voices here than on Facebook as I have read some of the posts and find you ladies insightful and understanding. Thanks anyway for at least reading my post, those of you that did.

Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

It is hard. Especially as LDS because so often people get hung up on what's different about the letter of the law that we or they believe...but in reality the spirit of the law is pretty well the same for all of us!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Sakura Guest

I think it must come down to an imbalance between grace and truth. Sometimes we want so much to be right that we forget to be loving, even in disagreement. Even in disagreement over Big Issues. I know I'm guilty of that. And online especially, it's easy to tear another down because we feel protected by a screen and the "other person" can seem very impersonal.
    Last edited by Sakura; 05-02-2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: correcting my horrid diction

Blog Entries

I am so sorry that you were injured by a specific message regarding your faith. Disagreements between churches are always hard to hear about. Certainly there should be tolerance over minor issues and we should all work together to lead others to Christ. At times, however, a various issue is considered a major difference and prevents the two churches from working together in that goal. The Bible itself point out major things and a Bible believing church can not let those things slide. I imagine that the ministry to which you refer has pointed out a major difference between your faith and their own. I am sorry that you were injured by that and would encourage you to find out the truth of that matter. Can you both be right, can only one of you be right?

Disunity in the body is heartbreaking.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

Quote Originally Posted by bowlerchick View Post
    I don't understand the desire to tear other believers in Christ down. On my Facebook page yesterday there was a post from a ministry whose message is specifically against members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I know that my beliefs differ somewhat from other Christian beliefs but I do believe that Jesus Christ is my Savior and the only means that I can be redeemed. Shouldn't that be our focus so we can find nonbelievers in Christ and try to bring them to Christ, instead of tearing other believers down? I just don't understand that mentality I guess. I find it so discouraging.
    I agree especially with the bold 100%

Thank you so much for your responses I know there are major differences between what members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints believe and the beliefs of mainstream Christianity. I am happy to report that my faith in Lord remains intact and unshaken!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Britney (me), DH (Mat), DD (Lily), DD (Gwyn)

I'm sorry you encountered a ministry that had a fault-finding and divisive spirit. My very good friend and also my midwife who delivered our 4th baby are LDS members and I align myself with one (or maybe two) mainstream Christian denominations. I think it's one thing to point out differences when someone is curious about what the other person believes, and even discussing your disagreements in an honest but loving way, but posting something on facebook that labels someone's faith a cult, or oversimplifies their beliefs in an unflattering way seems inappropriate to me. One of my best friends is Southern Baptist and the church we go to is Independent Assemblies of God, so she doesn't speak in tongues and I do (99% of the time I speak in tongues in private when words evade me, and it's spontaneous, not something I do to show off. Neither of us believes in doing it in an assembly of believers without interpretation). If she posted some long diatribe about tongues being a bunch of hooey, or Charismatic churches being cults where the people just follow televangelists and don't truly have a relationship with Christ but are looking for touchy feely spiritual experiences, prosperity & health (I have seen these kinds of attacks on the Internet), that angry message would definitely take me aback, even though I am secure enough in my beliefs to not feel threatened. Thankfully she would never do that, but there are ministries out there that are entirely devoted to doing just that, so I have felt that pang of sadness you're talking about.

I think about it this way: Jesus never shirked away from speaking the truth, but the things that made him angriest were when people had a religious "holier-than-thou" spirit and went out of their way to elevate themselves at someone else's expense. He called the Pharisees a brood of vipers because they followed the letter of the law and even made up new laws to follow and prove they were devout, but they had hard hearts toward God. He also hated when people deliberately made barriers to someone having a relationship with God, which is one reason why he overturned the moneychangers' tables in the temple. I feel like a ministry whose entire platform is anti-LDS is operating in the same spirit. You can disagree, even on major issues, but when your entire message is *anti-*such & such, aren't you missing out on talking about what you are *pro*? That really could turn off more than just LDS members-what about all of the people who are hungry for God but find only division and fault-finding from His church?
    Last edited by CoffeeCat; 05-04-2013 at 07:17 AM.

Meg (30), DH (40) & the 4 J's (Almost 7, 5, 3.5, 21 months)

I agree coffeecat, I just think that we should respect what others believe even if you don't believe the same thing and let them worship the Savior how and where they may choose to do so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Britney (me), DH (Mat), DD (Lily), DD (Gwyn)

Well said, CoffeeCat.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by bowlerchick View Post
    Shouldn't that be our focus so we can find nonbelievers in Christ and try to bring them to Christ, instead of tearing other believers down? I just don't understand that mentality I guess. I find it so discouraging.
    Yes, I completely and utterly agree.

2/09 6/09 4/14

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    I am so sorry that you were injured by a specific message regarding your faith. Disagreements between churches are always hard to hear about. Certainly there should be tolerance over minor issues and we should all work together to lead others to Christ. At times, however, a various issue is considered a major difference and prevents the two churches from working together in that goal. The Bible itself point out major things and a Bible believing church can not let those things slide. I imagine that the ministry to which you refer has pointed out a major difference between your faith and their own. I am sorry that you were injured by that and would encourage you to find out the truth of that matter. Can you both be right, can only one of you be right?

Disunity in the body is heartbreaking.
    Jessica: You said this SO extremely well. Thank you for that.