Thread: Preschool Questions

Default Preschool Questions

This is mostly just me "thinking out loud", but I'm posting it because I'd love if someone had some input or could tell me if there's something I'm missing!

Since talking to you ladies and the behaviorist with the pedi, I've been looking for something for Maiya that is stimulating, challenging, and without me (since if I'm there, she won't push herself, and therefore isn't challenged).

Since she just turned 3, there are very few activites that allow her to be there without a "caregiver" that I can find. The ones that I have found are either almost over and it's too late to sign up, or they don't start until July (when we'll be in Hawaii, so for us, it would be mid-July and she'd miss half of it).

So it appears that my best option is a preschool with open enrollment- which conveniently, I have found one very close to us. We visited today, and she LOVED it. It's Montessori, and I was impressed with how well the kids seemed to be really doing constructive stuff. The classrooms weren't "organized", but the kids were definitely learning. It was pretty cool! I mostly spoke with the owner, and liked her. My first impression of the teachers was positive, too. The price is, as Montessori tends to be, rather high, but within a normal range, from what I can tell. I might be able to find something cheaper, either Montessori or not, but I do like Montessori, and I can not beat the location.

We only spent 1 1/2 hours there, but Maiya really seemed to thrive. They said some kids need a transition time, with someone else there with them. Maiya? Psh, she just walked up to the kids and teaches and jumped right in. After asking the teachers if it was ok, I said good bye to Maiya and left (with the owner, so she and I could talk), and Maiya was still totally fine. She didn't seem interested at all when I came back, and definitely didn't want to leave!

The preschool she is in now is age 2 - 4. Maiya is not the oldest by age, but she sure seems to be, by far, the oldest developmentally. The potential school is ages 3 - 6, so Maiya is definitely the youngest. She's also the youngest developmentally, and I think that right now she really needs that older peer influence. She's been going to her current school for 2 months now, and doesn't have a single friend, because none of the other students are really at that developmental point where they can be friends, if you know what I mean. This school, she made a friend in only 1 1/2 hours. In her current preschool, she doesn't participate very much with the songs or anything, and in this one, she did. Not much, but more than the other preschool. My guess is that the difference is the "peer pressure" aspect.

My point is... I so far really like the school. I'm waiting for some references, but I talked to some parents there, and they all gave glowing reviews. Maiya really liked the school (she's already saying she doesn't want to go to the other one any more, and we still have a month left!).

With the "extenuating circumstances" of me thinking that a class like this will make a huge difference in her life right now, I am in a rush to get her enrolled, and that is why I'm posting! I researched a little when she was about 1, but was in no rush to do anything then. Now, I've only visited that ONE school. I've talked only to them. I've researched others, but not interacted.

Now I'm worried I'm going to make a rash decision! Honestly, Maiya would probably love any school with older kids. I would probably love any school I toured, since everyone is on their best behavori then and I'm pretty susceptible to that! But, do you think it's worth looking around more? This school has an opening now, so I can probably start her very soon, which is really what I want. Am I crazy to just sign her up for the first one we both visited??

And also... They have a flexible schedule, and I'm not sure when to have her go, if we go. I think I want to start with only two days a week, but do you ladies find that that is too variable of a schedule, and they don't get used to it? I was thinking Monday and Wednesday, would a 4 day weekend be too long, do you think? Or Tuesday Friday (I'd prefer to not have school on Thursday)? Maybe Monday and Thursday? Or go ahead with three days, and do MWF?

They also have a half day schedule, but I think I'd rather her get to stay for the whole day, because that's better for her, and it gives us days to do something.

Sorry for the rambles!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I had the twins in preschool starting at age 3, and they did two full days a week (Tues-Thurs) and they were totally fine. S. is in preschool now, M-W-F, full days, and he enjoys it too, although he occasionally balks at going in the morning. By the time I pick him up he doesn't want to leave. I might start off with fewer days and add more if you can later. Do you have to commit to a set schedule now?

I was also going to tell you in the other thread that if I am off work on a Tuesday or a Thursday, we can always do something together, or more often than not I have a ton of chores to do but you and Maiya are always welcome to come hang out and play with S. too if she wants company. I'm off work tomorrow if you want to get our kids together.

ETA: if you have the option to do two days and can do Mon and Wed, that's what I would pick personally, just because so many businesses and kid places are closed on Mondays. A long weekend is fun and gives you the option to go camping with your DH or go on road trips if he can get the day off, or even be able to potentially meet up with other friends who have Fridays off sometimes.

If it feels like a good fit I would do it. Sounds like it was really positive for both of you, and it fits in with your schedule and philosophy. Go for it!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I think it sounds ideal. You could look a long time and not find something as good. Go for it.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

It sounds quite good to me. I say go for it. If it doesn't work out, you can always find a different school.

Blog Entries

It sounds like you've found so many positive things that you may have gotten lucky with that school! I don't think it's necessary to shop around any more if you have an overall good vibe. Good luck!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    It sounds quite good to me. I say go for it. If it doesn't work out, you can always find a different school.
    My thoughts. I rushed to put Maddy in school as well due to some personal circumstances but my thought is I can always change schools if something doesn't work out. Sounds like Maiya will love it!
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    I had the twins in preschool starting at age 3, and they did two full days a week (Tues-Thurs) and they were totally fine. S. is in preschool now, M-W-F, full days, and he enjoys it too, although he occasionally balks at going in the morning. By the time I pick him up he doesn't want to leave. I might start off with fewer days and add more if you can later. Do you have to commit to a set schedule now?

I was also going to tell you in the other thread that if I am off work on a Tuesday or a Thursday, we can always do something together, or more often than not I have a ton of chores to do but you and Maiya are always welcome to come hang out and play with S. too if she wants company. I'm off work tomorrow if you want to get our kids together.

ETA: if you have the option to do two days and can do Mon and Wed, that's what I would pick personally, just because so many businesses and kid places are closed on Mondays. A long weekend is fun and gives you the option to go camping with your DH or go on road trips if he can get the day off, or even be able to potentially meet up with other friends who have Fridays off sometimes.
    I don't have to commit to a schedule, per se, but if I want to move to a different schedule, there would have to be openings. And, you know, I never even thought about it, but maybe I don't have the option of picking which two days it is... The schedule just says "two days", it doesn't say specifically T/Th or anything... You can tell I'm new to this, since that never even crossed my mind! I really wanted Monday and Wednesday, though...

And sorry I missed the chance to hang out today! Tues and Thur is her school schedule now, and Thursday night is her playgroup, so Thursdays are out for us. But Tuesday after schools would work! Let me know the next one you have off, and if our schedule doesn't change, then we could come by around 3 and let the kids entertain each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Yeah, this was my thought, too. I'm just worried that the school itself will work out, but then we find out it's more than we can comfortably afford, so then we have to move her out of a great school that she loves!

Speaking of... Hubby is having second thoughts about spending this much. He doesn't like the idea of spending that much on her a month, period! He's so funny, because one minute, whatever is best for her is what we'll do, "we'll make it work!"; the next, there's no way we can do it... This school isn't out completely, but let's just say, I'm researching more, anyway. If I can convince him it's worth it, maybe he'll go for it...

Like the rest of pps, I think it sounds like a great fit for you and Maiya. I wouldn't worry about visiting more schools -- sometimes the first one is the best!
    Sorry about your dh not being totally on board, but I do understand about the sticker shock. Preschool can cost as much as college tuition, which seems ridiculous -- at least, that's what my dh says. He said "absolutely not" to our neighborhood pricey Montessori school... until he toured it. Then he changed his tune. Now Noe's going to attend in the fall. So maybe your dh needs to visit the school and also see what else is out there, so he knows what the two of you are paying for?
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

We really liked one of the Montessori schools in our neighborhood too, but it was about twice as expensive as another school we found that we absolutely loved. So I would go ahead and keep exploring if you have the time, because it is possible to find more than one school that you like.