Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Update!!

I am glad you are going home. I hope the swelling goes away very soon.

So this means its something that will heal and she will make a full recovery?
    It looks like you are excited, and they are sending her home, so I'm assuming that's the case! I really hope it is!!

Wow, what an ordeal!! I have never heard of that! Sooooo glad you're home and she's going to be okay ...what a *huge* relief I'm sure (((HUGS)))!!!!

How is she doing now? Praying for a quick and full recovery !!!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I'm praying you all get some rest, and that whatever caused the swelling never ever returns!

Meg (30), DH (40) & the 4 J's (6.5, 4.5, 3, 1.5)

more info:

the swelling is more than likely caused by having viruses in close timing. It can take 1-3 months for her to regain normal coordination and walking. today is day 14! Physical therapy may be needed to help her regain muscle strength once she has more progression. there is no treatment plan for now. She will be monitored by her PCP and have a follow-up with Neuro Peds in LA in one month.

she was trying to crawl around today to get to things she wanted. She does a pretty good job but it looks weird (not because of her age, I mean it physically looks weird) and she falls over quiet a bit. I'm just glad she is trying to keep some independence. Tristan is doing very well with her also. He brings all the toys to her so its all within arms reach and we never even asked him to do it. His own instinct kicked in I guess. I have a few videos of Brooke standing on her own and feeding herself that I will try to post so that other moms can see and become familiar with this syndrome/diagnosis. Its so weird to say this but I'm really glad my daughters brain swollen and its nothing else. when we started hearing things like head trauma (bleeding) and mass it was pretty nerve wracking.
    8.6 yrs strong!! Brittany(27)DH(39) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks

I can imagine it was terrifying thinking of all the things it could be! I'm so glad that she is expected to recover fully. I hope there are no more bumps in the road. You deserve a whole bunch of rest! Thanks so much for continuing to update us. Been thinking about you.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

I'm so glad that you got a definite diagnosis, and that Brooke will make a full recovery. How absolutely terrifying. Continuing to think of you and your family. I hope things settle down for you...so glad you're home!

It must be a huge relief to know that she will be okay. Thank you for keeping us informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    It must be a huge relief to know that she will be okay. Thank you for keeping us informed.
    +1. It's a relief to us and it's not even our family. I can only imagine how terrifying this has been for you. It's wonderful to hear that she's on the mend.

Phew. Sounds like the best scenario under the circumstances. Glad everything is fine adn she will be back no normal comparatively soon
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I'm so glad she is expected to recover completely. For something that looks and sounds so frightening, it is amazing that it can be so temporary. Thanks so much for keeping us in the loop. I know I have been worried about her--I can only imagine how you must have been feeling.

I'm so happy to hear this - I have been checking back periodically because I have been so anxious for you.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

So happy to hear that she'll be ok! How awful that must be to see her struggle though.
    ~Andrea~

That sounds scary but I am happy it is explained and there was a reason for it. Hope you get some good sleep tonight!

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (5) Isabe11e (4) and C0rbin (3) Vio1et (16 months)

I'm so glad to hear you have answers finally and she's home! Lots of prayers!
    Jennifer

glad you got it all figured out. Hopefully it will all pass quickly with no further intervention

Me: Robin Follow As Natalie Blooms DH: Aaron

Sounds so nerve wracking I am glad she is excepted to make a full recovery. I am praying for your family.

glad you got answers and that she will be fine

I feel relieved that you have a diagnosis and she is on the mend. Continuing to send good thoughts your way!

Just wanted to send more positive thoughts your way. Praying that she is recovering and getting better.

Still thinking of you. Hope she is starting to feel better.
    Growing fast... DD1 (6) & DD2 (4)
    Forever loved, forever missed... Twin Girls with us for 19w3d 6/12/06

I'm glad you got the answers and can now stay home and have her recover in a familiar setting. It is good she is still young and won't remember all of that! huge hugs
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

I know it has been a while but I have been thinking about your sweet girl. I hope she has fully recovered by now.

Same here...hoping she is 100% !!!

So this may seem like a very weird time to update about Brooke but I realize that I never completed her story.

After her condition worsened the first week of May, vomiting, no urination or bowel, and lost all ability in her lower half of her body she was re-hospitalized. Via another MRI and spinal tap, We found out that it was not her brain but her spine that was being attacked by her own body (basically she had a cold and then a stomach flu in close timing and her body for some reason correlated her spine to a virus) after serious steroid treatments in the hospital and a tapered 3 week treatment at home she had no changes but we were hopeful. Brooke began to crawl again in June and walking in late July. Her "final" diagnosis is Polyneuropathy, but guillian-barre syndrome is also on her charts. She still has ongoing nerve damage, like shaking hands and over active sweat glands, clumsy walking, and other very small things, but she is happy and walking and progressing! No flu shots for her!

Double
    Last edited by Brittany_Dawn; 02-21-2014 at 04:21 PM.

I am glad she has a DX and it is not too scary and she progressing. Thanks for the update
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Editing...lol, got confused about the timeline of events and thought things had gotten worse again .

I'm so glad she's improving and you have answers...but what a hard road and I'm sure not easy seeing the ongoing after-effects

Praying for complete healing ♥
    Last edited by kellyowens; 02-21-2014 at 07:53 PM.

I was just thinking of you guys the other day and wondering how you were. Thanks so much for the update! I'm glad Brooke is walking and happy and on the mend. It must have been so awful and scary for you. I hope that she continues to improve and makes a full recovery - so that in a few years, you and your dh will ask each other, "Remember when she was so sick? That seems so long ago."
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Thank you so much for posting an update. I have thought about your baby girl often and wondered how she was doing. I will continue to pray that she completely recovers. I can only imagine how hard this must have been on her and your whole family.