Thread: Annual physicals

Default Annual physicals

If you do not need a physical for school or sport, have no concerns about your child's health and they do not need any vaccines at the time, do you take them annually for a physical?

We do not have an insurance to pay for physicals and pay cash - so the visit would cost around $150-$200 per child. We also do not have a family doctor or a pediatrician in TN ... I wonder if we have no need for a medical visit, we should just skip it and go visit our old pedi in FL when we get around to it. We will be in FL some time over the summer (probably July/August) and they are due for a physical at the end of May.

We have no "external" need for a physical (school forms, etc.)

I don't see any harm in waiting a few months.

For me, the physical is kind of informational, in that if we go at a later point in time for a problem, it is good to have some idea of where things were, fairly recently. With DD, I like some reassurance that she is growing normally, that what I'm seeing in her is developmentally appropriate.

I think every 2-3 years it is a good idea. I occasionally find something important and "silent" like high blood pressure. Yesterday I saw a kid who is likely going to be infertile from undescended testicles that nobody found because nobody had checked him in years. If he had been diagnosed in a timely manner he would have had a way better outcome.

I believe strongly in being seen once/year just to make sure everything is ok (for adults and kids). The docs are professionals who know how to look for things we would not know - like feeling glands, belly, hearing heartbeats & possible irregularities, etc. If I didn't have insurance I would pay out of pocket but if it's a matter of waiting until insurance clears or until you are covered I don't see any harm in waiting.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I don't see any harm in waiting a few months.

For me, the physical is kind of informational, in that if we go at a later point in time for a problem, it is good to have some idea of where things were, fairly recently. With DD, I like some reassurance that she is growing normally, that what I'm seeing in her is developmentally appropriate.
    I agree with this. I take my dogs in yearly even if they don't need shots so I would a kid. But I don't see a big deal waiting until you are back in FL since it's just a few months.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Blog Entries

We go yearly. I would see no harm, though, in waiting up to six months if that works out better for you which it sounds like it would. It sounds like you all had regular care before this big move and doctor issues as well.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

Even if I didn't have my kids I am a worrier so I feel better for a once a year check up even without insurance I would try to look around for a clinic in the state you are in that might go by income IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by tapir View Post
    I think every 2-3 years it is a good idea. I occasionally find something important and "silent" like high blood pressure. Yesterday I saw a kid who is likely going to be infertile from undescended testicles that nobody found because nobody had checked him in years. If he had been diagnosed in a timely manner he would have had a way better outcome.
    Thanks. That is what I was thinking too.

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    I believe strongly in being seen once/year just to make sure everything is ok (for adults and kids). The docs are professionals who know how to look for things we would not know - like feeling glands, belly, hearing heartbeats & possible irregularities, etc. If I didn't have insurance I would pay out of pocket but if it's a matter of waiting until insurance clears or until you are covered I don't see any harm in waiting.
    We are not waiting on insurance, so this is a long term set up. We participate in a health sharing program and we basically pay for our basic stuff cash and receive help for larger medical bills. We save a lot of money overall but it does make you question if we should be spending on certain things if you actually pay the money on the spot vs. not ever seeing it in the form of an insurance premium.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2CodySophia0811 View Post
    Even if I didn't have my kids I am a worrier so I feel better for a once a year check up even without insurance I would try to look around for a clinic in the state you are in that might go by income IMO.
    I know the retail clinics offer cheap physicals but I think that it is a total waste of money in our case. I would want a physical where a doctor looks for things like tapir mentioned. I went to a clinic at CVS one time when I was sick. The guy never looked at me, he filled out a symptom checker on a computer and told me that my symptoms were beyond their ability to treat. It was a joke. I could have filled out the same symptom checker on the internet and get the same answer for free. Never ever will I go back to one of these places. I just wanted find out if I had a UTI or not (and get treatment if I did).

I see. Sorry I misunderstood. That is an interesting set up! I think the traditional pay per month/year premiums turn people off because they feel like they are paying for nothing but the possibility of needing it in the future which makes it hard to rationalize. Although having to pay out of pocket may keep people away from the doc so I guess it goes both ways.....
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

We skip it unless necessary for vax or athletics .
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

i would put it off a few months... unless there is something you want to discuss with a dr.
    for me i hate going to drs so i don't go even if dh tells me i should (like in the case of the after christmas family illness... i am the only one who didn't see a dr and get antibiotics. luckily i got over it on my own) i think that if it were free to go i may start to reconsider going...
    for my kids... i bring them to the recommended appointments. they are on government insurance so its free for a check up but i have a co-pay if they are ill so i discuss all concerns at their well child checkups.

i follow the recommended schedule put out by the acadamy of pediatrics, which per my pediatrician...after 5 year physical and shots for kindergarten every 2 years is enough.

My oldest, almost 8 has not been since she turned 6...and hasn't been for a sick visit either...

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

and this would be my rationale too...

Quote Originally Posted by tapir View Post

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

I would probably go every other year if we were having to pay out of pocket.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)
    Trying to complete our family...My Ovulation Chart for my LAST try !

Quote Originally Posted by TripMomma View Post
    I would probably go every other year if we were having to pay out of pocket.
    This is likely what I would do.

Be sure to ask ask for an "uninsured" or cash price when/if you do go. We have a high deductible so have to pay out of pocket for things until we meet our deductible. I have started asking if they give a discount if they dont bill insurance. Most places have a significant discount. Some places have an uninsured price rather than a cash price, which means I cannot file it with my insurance at all, but like at the imaging place i'm going tomorrow, the uninsured price was about a 60% discount. And the health share is considered uninsured as far as medical establishments are concerned.

I personally would find a pediatrician in the new area and have a well appt just so you can establish a dr in the area, so you have someone to call if you do need a sick or urgent/emergent appt.

We go yearly, but we are often behind a couple of months....my boys are born in the winter, and I always delay them going in until after cold and flu, and then by the time I call, there is always a long wait for our appointment. I thin waiting a few months is fine.

I would hold off until you're in Fl. I take my kids yearly unless I'm told otherwise. I got early so why not take my kids. We always go late though. Both my kids had birthdays in Jan and they are both going tomorrow. My ds does not need vaccines. But my daughter does and will not get them because she has a fever.

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    Be sure to ask ask for an "uninsured" or cash price when/if you do go. We have a high deductible so have to pay out of pocket for things until we meet our deductible. I have started asking if they give a discount if they dont bill insurance. Most places have a significant discount. Some places have an uninsured price rather than a cash price, which means I cannot file it with my insurance at all, but like at the imaging place i'm going tomorrow, the uninsured price was about a 60% discount. And the health share is considered uninsured as far as medical establishments are concerned.

I personally would find a pediatrician in the new area and have a well appt just so you can establish a dr in the area, so you have someone to call if you do need a sick or urgent/emergent appt.
    Thanks for the tip about using the term "uninsured" vs. cash / self-pay. I am trying to find a doctor and when I find one we will have an appointment to get set up. It is just so hard to navigate finding someone. DH and I have had appointments (with two different offices) but neither of us felt comfortable with the provider well enough to take kids to them. Overall, we have been getting really good prices on labs and prescription medications so it is working out for us. It is just hard to shell out a $100 just to see if you like someone. It was so nice when I was pg to go interview pediatricians but once you have kids, no one will see you just so that you can check them out. Maybe I need to get pregnant. LOL.