Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prayers before mealtime

Default Prayers before mealtime

Do you say prayers before mealtime? If so, what prayer do you say?
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

We don't, we are not a church going family. We are not practicing but not atheists either...somewhere in the middle LOL.

We haven't broached the whole God subject with the kids at all at this point, I honestly don't know where to start or what to say since DH and I are not really religious. Sorry to go on and on like that...

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)
    Trying to complete our family...My Ovulation Chart for my LAST try !

We pray before meals, but it is not a formal, scripted prayer. My 4 year old loves to pray, so he usually asks to do it. We have explained to him that prayer is just talking to God, so he just thanks God for the food, our family, and anything else that's on his little mind. I love hearing him pray because it is so sweet and honest.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurainFL View Post
    We pray before meals, but it is not a formal, scripted prayer. My 4 year old loves to pray, so he usually asks to do it. We have explained to him that prayer is just talking to God, so he just thanks God for the food, our family, and anything else that's on his little mind. I love hearing him pray because it is so sweet and honest.
    Same here.

Nope, we don't do that.

Blog Entries

Yes, we do and it isn't scripted.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

Blog Entries

We don't pray...we're non-religious so it's not part of our mealtime routine. We have been at others' homes (my in-laws mostly, and some friends) where they pray before dinner. My MIL says a traditional thanks for the food and family, etc. informal prayer. At our friends' home the kids sometimes say the prayer (just something simple like 'thanks for the food and our friends') and it really is cute.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

no we do not.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Yes, but its unscripted... They kids may pray if they choose or it will be dh or me.
    Katie~
    DD1 (7) DD2 (4) DS1 (22 months) Baby #4 EDD 7/13/14

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Usually. Unscripted. Scharae likes to say it because "most people in this family forget to bless the drink and not just the food."

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

We will pray before dinner, the only meal we eat as a family. It's usually unscripted unless my 4 year old is leading. He uses a song he learned in daycare. I love to hear him sing. DD (5) will make her prayer as elaborate as she can.

We use a prayer my family said when we were little: "Thank you for the food we eat, thank you for the world so sweet, thank you for the birds that sing, thank you God for everything! Amen!" I say the "Thank you for... part and my daughter fills in the rest. Now that she's getting a little older, we'll probably switch to the unscripted prayers soon.

6w3d132 / 9w5d180 / 13w3d155

We don't pray but my mom always says a prayer before meals when we're together. DD doesn't have any idea what she's doing so it's usually quick. We aren't religious so we won't be doing prayers unless my mom is in charge of a meal. DF's family is Catholic and they do...something before meals but it's always too quick for me to catch
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheMove View Post
    We use a prayer my family said when we were little: "Thank you for the food we eat, thank you for the world so sweet, thank you for the birds that sing, thank you God for everything! Amen!" I say the "Thank you for... part and my daughter fills in the rest. Now that she's getting a little older, we'll probably switch to the unscripted prayers soon.
    I absolutely l

I'm sorry I'm on my phone and hitting all kinds of buttons lol, but I absolutely love this. I think i want us to start saying this. When we remember, the kids usually say an unscripted prayer, or ds sings his prayer in Hawaiian. I especially love that He's only 3 lol.

We do not pray. My in-laws do so we participate when we eat together. They all hold hands during the prayer so Emme gets a kick out of that and will have us keep doing it throughout dinner. Oh, their prayer isn't scripted but they usually say basically the same stuff every time.

Nope, we're a secular lot.

Yes, we do. It's a little blessing I made up. As DS gets older, I will let him make up his own. He already helps out with his bedtime prayers .

We do, it is unscripted and the kids usually decide who is going to lead us. Sometimes one of them, sometimes DH or I. Sometimes the kids sing a little prayer song they learned in preschool.

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheMove View Post
    I actually have this in vinyl on my kitchen wall. Love it.

We do unscripted prayers before meals and before bedtime. We ask DS who he would like to pray for each night. Most of the time, he asks to pray for his Nana.
    Jen (33), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

We do pray before meals.

The prayer we say is something that I always said when I was growing up.

"Thank you Jesus, for your love. Help us to love you back. Thank you for our food. Amen."

IT'S A BOY!!!

Marissa 12, Peyton 7, Jayden 5 and #4 due 7/4/2014

No, we don't. But growing up my parents would say a silent prayer to themselves and we would say "Lord bless this food for Jesus sake, amen"....all five of us individually.

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (6) Isabe11e (5) and C0rbin (3.5) Vio1et (almost 2)

Yes we do but its not scripted. My 4 year old normally says it.

Not yet. I grew up with prayers at meals and appreciate their value for thanking God for the food he has blessed us with. As DD nears 2, we are beginning more and more traditional routine actions and this will be incorporated.
    Phoebe Grace 6-22-11; 37.5" and 26.2# at 2 years old! She is my wild child!
    Me & Geoff, 40; DD Phoebe, our June Bug

I don't right now I am in the middle of the road with religion I do pray, I believe there is God and Jesus but, I am confused about a lot of things with religion anyways... I used to say when I was younger "God is great, God is good, Lets us thank him for our food Amen".

I hope you don't mind me posting this clip from youtube with a prayer from a movie I do not mean any respect just a few laughs: Meet the Parents: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DlNF_ukr0I

Quote Originally Posted by TripMomma View Post
    We don't, we are not a church going family. We are not practicing but not atheists either...somewhere in the middle LOL.

We haven't broached the whole God subject with the kids at all at this point, I honestly don't know where to start or what to say since DH and I are not really religious. Sorry to go on and on like that...
    Pretty much the same. My DH is Christian, kind of, maybe more agnostic than anything these days.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

we always do. We do not have any pre written prayers. We just all hold hands, bow our heads and one of us thank God for providing another meal for our nourishment, thank him for the home and the daily needs being met, thank him for our health and We sometimes pray for something that is urgent. Usually DH prays at the dinner meal. But me and the boys take turns who prays for breakfast and lunches.

Brenda

I do the Johnny Appleseed song with my kids sometimes. Other times we just thank the Lord for the meal and bless the hands that prepared it.

Johnny Appleseed song goes:

"Oooooh! The Lord is good to me, and so I thank the Lord for giving me the things I need the sun and the rain and the apple seed. The Lord is good to me!"
    Last edited by Dreya; 05-06-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

We are not religious, so we don't pray. I grew up in a religious family, though, and we did pray before dinner each night when I was growing up. On regular nights, we generally said the Norwegian table prayer that is very common in Norwegian-American families, and then an unscripted prayer. On special occasions, for holiday meals or when we had extended family visiting, we held hands and sang the Doxology. We still do that when I'm with my parents for holiday dinners. That's something I really miss about not practicing a religion. I love the sound of us singing together, especially such comforting and well-known words and melody.

I've thought about incorporating a poem of general thanks before we eat, because I really want to practice gratefulness. As it is now, we do give thanks, in a way -- DH thanks me every night for preparing the food, and the girls also thank me. Sometimes we thank him in return for working hard to provide for us so we can have food to eat.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09