Thread: Bronchiolitis

Default Bronchiolitis

My 7 week old DD developed this 3 days ago, we've been giving her a steroid puffer treatment as directed by my pediatrician. Shes been on it for 2 days now, Ive been reading that steroids given this young could cause brain damage and the bronchodilator (steroids) is controversial treatment unless baby has a more serious condition. does anyone have any advice for me?? anybody experience this with their new baby?

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Scharae ended up with brnochiolitis and eventually tested positive for RSV when she was 7 weeks old. She was in the hospital for a couple days and then sent home with a nebulizer for the steroids. We made it through that and then come winter (this happened in July) she had RSV again, and again in the spring. She's been dx with asthma now that she's older. Her pedi and I talked about whether that 7wk illness had any bearing on her condition. He said the meds themselves did not. But that having a severe respiratory illness at that age could certainly have damaged her lungs, coupled with her dad having pretty significant asthma.

So, no brain damage, and she's been on asthma meds in some for or another daily since 11 months (she's turning 7). But that doesn't mean it can't happen-and in her case her condition was quite severe when they started her on them.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Quote Originally Posted by DucksLikeRain View Post
    Scharae ended up with brnochiolitis and eventually tested positive for RSV when she was 7 weeks old. She was in the hospital for a couple days and then sent home with a nebulizer for the steroids. We made it through that and then come winter (this happened in July) she had RSV again, and again in the spring. She's been dx with asthma now that she's older. Her pedi and I talked about whether that 7wk illness had any bearing on her condition. He said the meds themselves did not. But that having a severe respiratory illness at that age could certainly have damaged her lungs, coupled with her dad having pretty significant asthma.

So, no brain damage, and she's been on asthma meds in some for or another daily since 11 months (she's turning 7). But that doesn't mean it can't happen-and in her case her condition was quite severe when they started her on them.
    Thanks for your reply!

Yes..ive heard there is increase risk for asthma that makes me sad and worried!! All this from her catching a cold It was impossible to prevent, DD age 5 had a nasty cold, there was only so much I could do to avoid contact

Oh, I hope she gets better soon. No experience though
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Bronchiolitis is a serious condition. lots pod babies are hospitalized from it. Some die. My best friends baby spent 11 gauss in picu when he was 4 weeks old. I have had 2 babies hospitalized with it as well, at 8wks and 15 wks. Steroids are commonly used, I don't think you should worry about.

If you feel t.hat she is doing better and no longer needs the treatment, call your her dr and ask if you can stop treatment.

Ds2 got all kinds of nasty infections as a baby, including but not limited to RSV at 3 months, whooping cough at 5 (he had rec'ed 2 doses of vaxes so his was a mild case), gazzilion colds. I was told to watch for asthma but he did not develop it so there is hope for you
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Yikes, sorry for all those typos, I'm posting from my phone while nursing and while my DH and 16yr old son argue about whether men can wear capris or not

That is 11days in picu!

My friend's son is fine, as are my girls who had it. They are 12 and 14 now and neither has any ongoing respitory problems!

Thanks for the responses ladies, its a relief to know there are others who've dealt with this. I had no idea about this condition, had I known I would have quarantined my precious girl who is still so young!! So sad to see her so congested, but she seems to be on the mend. The steroids make her shaky..

Erin was on a steroid from a very young age as a preemie with lung problems. Now, she does have some brain damage, but that is totally unrelated to the steroid -- she developed hydrocephalus as a result of a brain bleed and that caused the brain damage. The only thing they said about the steroid was that it stunted her growth. She barely grew at all from age 1 to age 2 and they attributed that to the use of the particular steroid (although not steroids in general) and took her off of it. However, this wasn't something that she took for a short time to get over an illness like your daughter. It was something she took for over a year because of her lung problems. And I don't think it had any real, lasting effect on her as she and Laura are now the same size as adults -- they're both just petite, which runs in my family.
    Last edited by LanceBabe; 05-06-2013 at 06:15 AM.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

Wyatt has had it a time or two. He's also had at least 2 rounds of oral steroids in his life. The nebulizer used to be used all the time. Now, he's almost 3 and rarely ever gets sick. I can't remember the last time we used the nebulizer. The things that have helped him the most are chiro, Vit D3 drops, and a few months of pulmicort.

That is scary. No experience but I hope baby is feeling better!!
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Blog Entries

Is she actually on a steroid or a bronchodilator? Inhalable steroids are preventative and will not immediately help with breathing/wheezing.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

!!! I'm so sorry your little one is so sick momma...so hard to see them feeling poorly (((HUGS)))! Thinking of you and praying she recovers quickly!

I was thinking that too Jess...must be a bronchodilator if she's shaky...I would guess albuterol. Is she on more than one med? Maybe a corticosteroid too?

Eta...sorry, forgot to mention we've done albuterol, pulmicort, and cromolyn at various times and none of my kids seem to have had any adverse reactions from it. My dd got pertussis at 7wks old and was on bronchodilators and steroids every 4hrs for the first 6months of her life at which point we gradually weaned her off of them. She's almost 14yrs old now and doing extremely well!! One of my kiddos was on the meds short-term with RSV and another had asthma as a toddler...we did steroids every 4hrs for 2months and no obvious after effects for either of them (they are now 10yrs and 3yrs old).

I know these decisions can be scary but I really believe she's going to be fine...steroids for bronchiolitis and asthma have been around for decades...it's hard not to worry though !
    Last edited by kellyowens; 05-06-2013 at 06:22 PM.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

we are using bronchodilator (salbutamol) is anybody familiar with that?

She is on the mend thankfully, she peaked on sat/sun and today she is a lot better!! im only going to give her puffs is she has trouble breathing...

Soooo glad to hear she is doing better...what good news !! (((Hugs)))...I'm sure it has been a long few days for you !
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Just seeing this, glad to hear she is doing better. Hope she continues on the upswing!

Blog Entries

I'm glad that she is doing better. I'm pretty sure that medication does not have a steroid in it.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    I'm glad that she is doing better. I'm pretty sure that medication does not have a steroid in it.
    I think you right! That is a relief! Though, I am always uneasy giving my kids meds... unless its absolutely necessary. At this point, I dont think it is necessary, she is breathing fine and is not wheezy. We had a follow up appointment yesterday and doctor said she should be fine in a couple days.
    That was a scare, i'm glad its almost over and that her case wasn't as bad as it could have been. Big hugs to those who have experienced this!
    I think dealing with her congestion and her choking up saline solution is the hardest to deal with and the saddest to see