Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 year old cannot walk

Exclamation 2 year old cannot walk

My daughter is having a lot of trouble walking. It started last Saturday, April 20th with a slight limp that was barely noticeable. On Monday the 22nd her limp was prominent but she never said it hurt but she was very emotional and cried about everything. On a walk the next day she was really struggling and kept stopping, I also notice her hesitating to go up/down stairs or steps. She collapsed 2x on the walk and started saying her leg hurt and would point to her knee. By that evening she was constantly crying and barely walking or if she walked it was extremely wobbly and she would hold onto objects for support. Took her to the Ped the next morning (the 24th) and she could still barely walk...looked like she had jello legs. x-rays ordered for her left side since that was the leg she was pointing at....nothing came up as far as bone damage. Is was ruled a sprain knee and I was told to give IBprf for pain/swelling.

Here is the thing....she has only gotten much worse since being seen. She is unable to walk without some type of support and she literally looks afraid to take the next step. She is super happy to just lay down or sit in the stroller. I have now noticed that when she is laying on her back she cannot sit up on her own. she has resorted to trying to crawl to get around but even crawling looks weird and she wobbles and will fall over. I just feel like this is not her knee. Any suggestions??
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

Take her back tomorrow. If your ped blows it off go to the ER at a Children's hospital if you can. There is nothing good that lasts that long. Sorry to worry you. She needs a recheck. If she has a fever over 100 she needs the ER tonight. PM me if you have questions! (I'm a pedi in my spare time...)

Yes, please take her back in to the doctor or to the ER, and let us know how things go. Hopefully, it's nothing serious, but I wouldn't sit on this.
    Mom to two little girls (born 6/08 and 2/11) and another on the way.

tapir's is the only answer that you need. Just wanted to wish you and her good luck. I hope it gets better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by tapir View Post
    Take her back tomorrow. If your ped blows it off go to the ER at a Children's hospital if you can. There is nothing good that lasts that long. Sorry to worry you. She needs a recheck. If she has a fever over 100 she needs the ER tonight. PM me if you have questions! (I'm a pedi in my spare time...)
    This, this, this. Personally, though I would take her to the ER at a children's hospital now. I would not go back to that same pedi. Get a second opinion.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

At the risk of being redundant, take her to the dr (and perferably a different one).

DD1 exhibited v similar symptoms last year (when she was just turning 3). She ended up being diagnosed w/ toxic synovitis (which sounds worse than it is; she everntually (incrementally) improved). We had a great ortho at Miami Childrens who instantly assured me that there *was* something wrong b/c DD1" limp was consistent. Kids that young (and your even younger) aonly limp when there is an issue.

I remember finding this all very upsetting- so :Hugs: and GL!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I agree. I'm so sorry she's not well, and hope she is better soon.

truth be told if it were my child I would go straight to the ER tonight....mostly because I wouldn't sleep from worry anyways and our ER at the Childrens hospital is thorough and great. But definitely get her checked asap. Any lumps or masses in the leg or knee? Any other symptoms?

I would too go to the ER but it is up to you. Good luck and hugs mama!
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I'd take her to a different pedi or the ER asap. Best of luck and lots of prayers!
    Last edited by Adhafera; 04-29-2013 at 12:31 AM.
    Jennifer

I agree to get her back in asap. I hope you can get some answers and get her on the road to healing.

Yes I agree with the others to take her in asap. When my daughters bestfriend 18 months she suddenly stopped using her left wrist... at first they said nothing was wrong.. but they persisted and it eventually came back that she ended up having juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.... which while it did get worse before it got better and she had a lot of trouble moving, she is now in remission and you would never guess that she ever had anything slowing her down.

Sorry that pedi didn't treat it seriously enough. I would definitely get a 2nd opinion. Hope she feels better soon. KUP!
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Blog Entries

I hope that you are getting some answers today!
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I agree with everyone, but just wanted to offer and I hope it's not serious!
    ~Andrea~

Blog Entries

I hope you get some answers asap. Those symptoms sound worrisome, and are definitely worth getting a second opinion as soon as you can. Good luck!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

Like others have said, I would be heading to the ER at a children's hospital without waiting. I will be praying for your little girl.

I agree with everyone. Just wanted to offer hugs and hope you get some answers!

Agreeing with everyone. Please keep us updated!

thanks so much ladies..... I am very uncomfortable with her situation. She literally will not walk at all this morning. No fever but we know something is wrong. Just told DH about all your responses and he is very concerned. I am taking her into Urgent care this morning!! I will update ASAP when everything is done.
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

Will be thinking of you guys. KUP!!
    ~Andrea~

I'm glad she is getting checked out. Kup.

When Cody was 17 months he fell down two steps. He had trouble walking for a couple of days we took him to the ER the next morning when he struggled to walk. The x-ray came back normal and the doctor suggested that a child might favor one leg if the other one hurts for a while. It doesn't hurt to get it double checked out.

I am glad you are going to the Urgent Care. I would not let it be until you feel comfortable with the answers.

My niece woke up oddly one day and couldn't walk. No fever or other signs. She ended up being diagnosed with henoch schonlein purpura. I do not remember if she was hospitalized or not, but she is now a very thriving 15 year old gymnast/cheerleader. Purpura is a rash like on the skin but is under the skin from blood vessels.

Glad you are taking to urgent care. Good luck.
    Phoebe Grace 6-22-11; 37.5" and 26.2# at 2 years old! She is my wild child!
    Me & Geoff, 40; DD Phoebe, our June Bug

Blog Entries

Poor little one. She must hurt! I am glad that you are getting her in this morning. Praying for you all!
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Glad you are taking her in! Will be thinking about you and your daughter!
    *Sara-27**Lee-27* 11/21/09 DX with PCOS 05/10

**TTC since 08/01/14. 1500mg of Metformin and 2.5mg Femara**

Glad you are getting a second opinion. KUP!!
    Joanie (33), DH (33), Thomas (13), Angel Baby 9/9/10, Katherine (2), Angel Baby 8/28/12, Daniel (born 6/23/13 at 35 weeks)

I hope that you are able to get some answers, poor thing

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Praying!!! Kup!

!!!!!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels