Thread: Samaritan Ministries

Default Samaritan Ministries

I was wondering if anyone here participates in the health sharing ministry (Samaritan Ministries comes to mind but I believe there are other groups out there). DH will retire later this year and we will need to find means to pay for medical care. If so, what has your experience been?

Sakura Guest

I've heard of it, or another like it, but haven't used it myself. Hopefully someone can offer their experience!

My inlaws have used Christian MedShare... and have recently just stopped. They are both in their early 50's self employed, Healthy weights, in general good health/fit... paid into it for 5 years never needing any medical care. About 3 months ago, my MIL was having some pain in one of her Breasts... she went to a dr, was referred to a mammography center, it revealed nothing, further testing showed that it was just a torn ligament and she needed physical therapy for a few weeks... She called ahead it all should have been fine, after $6500 of PT and Testing, she felt great, but all the claims were denied... so yeah, I have heard other similar experiences now too, and more and more Drs are refusing to treat patients with this type of insurance unless you pay upfront and wait to be reimbursed because the claims are getting denied...
    Katie~
    DD1 (7) DD2 (4) DS1 (22 months) Baby #4 EDD 7/13/14

Wow, that is not good. The way I understand it works is that you go to the Dr as a cash patient and make payment arrangements as such. Then you rely on the sharing program to reimburse you. But that does not sound right if your MIL was told her treatment would be covered and then it was denied.

Default Samaritian Ministries

My husband and I have used Samaritan Ministries for six years. We have had one emergency room visit, three births and one miscarriage all of which have been shared through Samaritan Ministries.

There is a $300 out-of-pocket, member responsibility per incident/need, but if you get discounts on your bills, those discounts count towards the $300 out-of-pocket member responsibility. Because our midwife gives us a discount of more than $300 if we pay in full before delivery, everyone of our maternity needs has been taken care of in full (no out-of-pocket). A huge plus is that each time we have had a need shared we have received letters from other members that are helping us, and praying for us. Several of which have recognized our names, and kept up with us enough to give us gifts over and above the money to pay for the medical needs, but to use as a gift for the new baby.

There are some non-emergency items such as optometry and dental care that can be posted for members to give to voluntarily (over and above their monthly share.)

I highly recommend giving SM a call. They are great about answering questions, and might be able to give you a few more details.

samaritanministries.org

We have always told the receptionist we are cash pay, and never had a problem with Dr. rejecting us. It might not hurt to ask before hand and find a Dr. that is open to cash pay customers.

Homemaker88, thank you for sharing your experience. I have spent a lot of time online searching and it seems that it is nearly impossible to find anyone with a negative experience with Samaritan Ministries.

Default Research is a good thing...

I am pleased you have found such favorable results. We have had a Great experience with Samaritan Minisitries. Like I said the staff is great about responding to questions or concerns. So if you are still not 100% sure I would give them a call and ask.
    Last edited by Homemaker88; 04-30-2013 at 08:36 PM.

We use something called "christian healthcare ministries" which is similar but different then samaritan. Samaritan I think had some lawsuits in certain states. CHM has been a huge blessing to us. So far we have used them for my husbands GI scope and they have been great and paid with no problem. My husband works for a company that is able to see the Standard and Poors ratings of companies. And CHM is one of the highest ratings. Which means they are a solid company/ministry. They have been around 20+ years. For us to participate with 4 people with a 1000k deductible it costs 255 per month. We also added for about 25 bucks a quarter the Christian brotherhood which pays up to 1million PER INCIDENT. We also use my DH flex spending at work to set aside for routine visits and sick visits. most cost shares don't cover that. I added up our insurance of the past few years and we paid nearly 10K out of pocket for insurance we didn't use PER YEAR. We only used about 3K max. I can give you some advice on CHM. If you do go with them please use my name and I'll give you my member number. I get free dues for 1 month for every referral! BTW CHM works the same with the deductible. The discounted amounts go towards the deductible/member responsibility. I was looking for something that would help pay for homebirths for us and CHM does pay for homebirth and midwife services. They also have a prayer page too so that if something doesn't qualify for sharing, people can still give to that anyway. The prayer pages are almost always answered. AND CHM (probably samaritan too) is allowed under obama care as "qualified insurance". So you won't get fined for not having insurance if you have a cost share.

http://www.christianhealthcareministries.com/

Last edited by pants; 05-03-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by caligirl07 View Post
    My inlaws have used Christian MedShare... and have recently just stopped. They are both in their early 50's self employed, Healthy weights, in general good health/fit... paid into it for 5 years never needing any medical care. About 3 months ago, my MIL was having some pain in one of her Breasts... she went to a dr, was referred to a mammography center, it revealed nothing, further testing showed that it was just a torn ligament and she needed physical therapy for a few weeks... She called ahead it all should have been fine, after $6500 of PT and Testing, she felt great, but all the claims were denied... so yeah, I have heard other similar experiences now too, and more and more Drs are refusing to treat patients with this type of insurance unless you pay upfront and wait to be reimbursed because the claims are getting denied...
    That's awful. Was PT sharing allowed? in CHM it depends on what level you sign up for. Right now the only level we got was hospital and outpatient surgery centers only. But if we went up to Gold level, then they cover PT I think for 45 days. It's very important that you read through the guidelines very carefully. With us we go into a doctor as self-pay. They typically give us 50-60% discount. Then we set up a payment plan with the doc office and submit the request for reimbursement through CHM. So far we have not had ANY problems with being treated at a doc. in fact most of the docs we work with would rather work with self pays. It's simple. get seen pay a bill. no insurance hassles. It is a TOTALLY different way to think about healthcare costs though. You are much more involved as to why a doctor does a test and if you really need it or not.

Brenda

Question....do they cover drugs? Hmmm, might have to look into this a bit more. My MIL is 62 and her husband wants a divorce and she is insured with him. So she is looking at about a 2.5 year gap until medicare kicks in. Being older, on a few drugs and a history of past cervical cancer....finding her something good and afforable hasn't been easy. She is definitely a Christian.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Question....do they cover drugs? Hmmm, might have to look into this a bit more. My MIL is 62 and her husband wants a divorce and she is insured with him. So she is looking at about a 2.5 year gap until medicare kicks in. Being older, on a few drugs and a history of past cervical cancer....finding her something good and afforable hasn't been easy. She is definitely a Christian.
    Jennifer, in CHM generally routine/maintenance prescriptions are not covered. Prescriptions are covered for the duration of any hospital stay and the duration of a qualifying incident and I believe it's 45 days after the incident is over and the doc has put you down as healed under the "gold" plan. For cancer her treatment and prescriptions would be covered. However she does have a preexisting condition of cervical cancer. She can still get covered under the gold plan for preexisting condition. But you have to call and really speak and hash out the guidelines and what is expected. Before we signed up I went over a number of what if scenerio's to get a good idea on how they would cover situations that are most frequent to a small family. It's worth a phone call at least. She will have to be a christian and be attending a church regularly to be covered.

Brenda

Thanks for the info. The biggest for her is her drugs. A couple are not generic yet. Her husband really messed things up for her at this point in her life because he decided he didn't feel like being married anymore.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Brenda, thank you so much for the info re. CHM. I was not familiar with them and will definitely look. We are still several months our before we lose our insurance but I really feel that it is the way to go. At least for me and the kids. We really have to evaluate DH's situation because of his health issues. But even with insurance, we have opted to pay cash for medical services/Rx meds because it was cheaper that way. So I am really drawn to the way the health sharing ministries work. If we choose CHM, I will definitely get your info so you can get credit

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Thanks for the info. The biggest for her is her drugs. A couple are not generic yet. Her husband really messed things up for her at this point in her life because he decided he didn't feel like being married anymore.
    CHM does have a discount drug program though. Dh needed a antibiotic for something (or maybe a steriod for a cough..i can't remember) and it was originally 100 and with the discount card it came down to 8.00 we has to pay out of pocket. Just as an FYI.

Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by impatient View Post
    Brenda, thank you so much for the info re. CHM. I was not familiar with them and will definitely look. We are still several months our before we lose our insurance but I really feel that it is the way to go. At least for me and the kids. We really have to evaluate DH's situation because of his health issues. But even with insurance, we have opted to pay cash for medical services/Rx meds because it was cheaper that way. So I am really drawn to the way the health sharing ministries work. If we choose CHM, I will definitely get your info so you can get credit
    ok cool. Let me know if you have any questions. You should call and at least talk to the reps and get your questions answered. My friend who is on CHM just got her 42000 hospital bill paid off using CHM. The only thing they did not cover was the 1000 ambulance ride from her house . But you can buy separate ambulance transport insurance if you need to pretty inexpensively. It is a different way of looking at healthcare coverage though. It is a leap of faith that these Christians will hold to the biblical command to bear each others burdens. And that promise they make to do all they can to help you. It is still on faith. Verses insurance where you pay for something and by law they HAVE to provide what is contracted. Ultimately you are responsible for your medical bills. Period. And that the ministry is there to help you with medical bills so that you do not go into debt because of medical bills. For us the best thing is that we know our monthly money is going to help other Christians and not going into services that contradict our belief.

Brenda